Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To beard or not to beard?

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I have kept mine and choose to only trim it. I look better with it, and have gotten compliments regarding such.

I would have to say it's true that some say it makes one look older - I "fooled a guesser" at a fair. He thought I was in my 50s, when I was only in my late 30s. I was surprised it made me appear that much older, but not offended in the least.

I am having more grey hair show up, but I have chosen long ago not to hide my greying hair.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not here, same respect (or not) no matter shaved or bearded.

Had to shave daily in the Navy and hated it, so I do until today.

Shaving once a week or two weeks latest, OK for me and my girlie.

Growing any longer it gets uncomfortable for me.

Cheers

Turnip

With the covid pandemic I'm surprised it hasn't been used to launch another anti-beard campaign. A few yrs ago findings of a "scientific study" were released to the public claiming results of men with facial hair were found to frequently have large amounts of fecal matter in their beards. An anti-beard acquaintance who couldn't grow a beard if he had to, sent me the summary. I told him that if true, the "results" said more about proper hand washing than beards & clean shaven men were just as likely to have fecal matter on their faces.

The results were quickly dropped from the radar when it was learned that Gillette Company under Proctor & Gamble had paid for the "scientific study". They got the "results" they wanted.

Feraud

Bartender
With the Covid situation and working from home I’ve let my beard grow. I tend to trim it back when it gets too unruly. Having worked in white collar positions most of my life I am enjoying not shaving as much. The upside- I received my first senior discount at the supermarket! I’m 51 but my grey beard makes me look older. My wife had a giggle about it. I’ll never complain about a 15% discount!

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
There must be others too with same dilemma? I absolutely love shaving with a straight razor and the whole kit with it... But. I can't stand my face without a beard! Thought about just moustache, could shave and still have some facial hair but that's a nono with the missus. So beard it is!

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I have decided to let mine grow more, and trim and shape it to a tapered point. My first time doing this, so it will be a learning experience as to what works best for it as far as conditioner/cream/balm/ wax...etc.

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
So far, I have found beard balm to work best for me in terms of helping it to start to take a decent shape.

I happened to pick up a 2oz jar of Every Man Jack sandalwood beard balm super cheap at the local discount store to try it - as I have tried a cream and a butter. I have also tried pre-made beard oil that I got discount (Gillette), and my own homemade oil-essential oil blend. Out of all, because my beard hair is thick, the balm works best. So this is what I plan to stick with, but also teach myself how to make, since it would be more cost effective in the long run. I already have containers I can use to put it in, a carrier oil, and essential oils. All I need to do is get beeswax.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a mask at work has become unbearably itchy, so I've decided to try something new...
quQ8vVP.jpg

gFXKouW.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk