Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Feather or Not to Feather?

Firemanpc

New in Town
What are your thoughts regarding feathers? Do they add to or take away from the hat? Does it depend on the hat or does it depend on the feather or both? Should I rip them all off my fedoras? I am torn on this subject.

Corky

Practically Family
Each person has his own individual sense of style...

...And the question of what to do with a feather is completely a personal choice.

But I get rid of any feather that shows up in the band of one of my hats. I think it looks dated and artificial. It might have been hip back in the 50's or whenever, but I don't think a feather looks good now.

I also tend to tear out the liner (it gets hot here in Southern California).

And I usually replace the ribbon hat band with a latigo saddle string.

Best of luck

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Firemanpc said:
What are your thoughts regarding feathers? Do they add to or take away from the hat? Does it depend on the hat or does it depend on the feather or both? Should I rip them all off my fedoras? I am torn on this subject.

You're not the only one. The subject is an enduring one. Here's one thread.

Here is another.

And a third.

It's kind of like the recurring oil threads on the Internet BMW Riders mail list. It keeps coming round. ;)

Read and enjoy!

Regards,
Tom

PS I have a couple of hats with feathers, but for the most part I find they (vintage hats) tend to have lost theirs by the time they get to me.

PPS Oh, and I see you're relatively new, so Welcome to the Lounge!!!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have feathers in two. One fell out, and is lost. The other, I haven't decided whether I want to keep it. It's a red and black feather on a green hat. It kind of clashes, and makes it look a bit cheap and tacky. I think it depends on the color, and how well it blends with the hat. Also, if the feather is disproportionally sized, then it looks bad. Personally, I dislike the big, fluffy feathers, which (in my eyes) give the appearance of a rather unusual plant growing from the ribbon. But if it's small and understated, then I don't see why not. Just my $0.02 for you. And welcome, somewhat new member!

--flute

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
It's kind of like the recurring oil threads on the Internet BMW Riders mail list. It keeps coming round. ;)

Regards,
Tom

Fabulous. You've got to be a motorcycle rider who frequents the forums to understand this comment. People will FIGHT you over the ever present oil thread. Bwahahahahahahaha...

Bill

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Like many other things it all depends. What do you like?

To me some hats work with a feather, I have one in one of my porkpies. On another hat I wouldn't like it. I also have a Dobbs Gamebird that has a gamebird feather pin I would wear that on that hat if I wasn't trying to save it. Now what I really don't currently find attractive is a feather band, rope band, band that looks like a belt etc. I just prefer a ribbon and bow. For you and others something else might strike your fancy. Considering that fedoras are rather out of style I think we can have a certain liberty in finding our own style.

Seeing how the forums search engine does not always find what you are looking for, a advanced search using google often leads to superior results.

Pompidou

One Too Many
In my opinion, if you're wearing a hat to look rugged, lose the feather. If you're wearing a feather to look, well, stylish, for lack of a better term, then keep the feather if you like feathers. If my pork pie from Del Monico ever gets shipped, I'll have one hat without feathers and one with. I think pork pies look great with feathers. I think fedoras go 50/50. On a side note, what I'm going to be looking for is some signature pin to put on the ribbon near the feather. I don't know what.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
I'm still not sure about feathers either. On my new (and 1st) hat I got for Christmas, I decided to leave the feather in for now, at least, to try it. I'm guessing that I'll probably end up taking it out. Here it is with it in for now.

FWIW, I've had several recommendations here to take out the feather. (none when wearing it in real life, though)

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Feathers; in, out and back in again....

Well, for me, it depends on how I am feeling for the moment. The nice thing is you can have the feather in the ribbon or you can take it out if the mood strikes you to do so.

If you have a fly fishing shop near you, you have access to really nice feathers and you can whip up some nice combinations rather easily.

Pilot99

Familiar Face
It really depends on the person you are and your personality. Fedoras to me..in my limited dealing with them are about class and style, I love how they accent my suits and the general look and feel. Having a feather in one my fedora's frankly makes me feel I'm going for a pimp look and should grab some gold chains and a green suit...But before I get absolutely destroyed by everyone for this comment, I know the feathers have no real relation especially with vintage fedora's. So all in all I will say for me....I'll stick with no feathers, but I'll tell you straight out, I've seen some guys with some stylish hats and very fitting feathers so god bless all of you that can pull it off. Haha.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Jauntyone said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Awesome! But if you really want to impress him, post a pic of your sahara hat with the purple feather. Art out-did himself on that one!

Too right Jaunty! It`s a Camel, actually...but damn, that feather!

Jan2010004-4.jpg

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
The right feather on the right hat is an awesome combo that I really like. The right feather can really make a hat special. I prefer a feather that is not obviously a dye job, but to each his own. I have a friend who wears a Tyrolean where ever he goes, and that has a nice feather. The tradition, as he explains it, is that the feather is from a bird that you have shot, and you are showing off your status as a hunter by sticking a feather in your hat. Of course, my friend bought his with feather supplied. But it works nicely.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Depends on the occasion and what you're wearing the hat with. I have a midnight-blue homburg that works pretty well with both casual and dressier clothes. With street clothes, I'll leave the feather in, but with a suit, I'll remove it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21