Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Have and Have Not

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
MudInYerEye said:
My least favorite of the Bogart/Bacall flicks. DARK PASSAGE was the best.

I'll take Key Largo. But that was all Edward G.R. Dark Passage runs in second.

But I hate to mention it again. I just don't like Lauren Bacall. Bogey stars so much better with a different gal next to his name on the marquis.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Jack Scorpion said:
I just don't like Lauren Bacall. Bogey stars so much better with a different gal next to his name on the marquis.
This is an interesting perspective. Why do you feel this way? What specifically to you feel is off in the chemistry, which as I am sure you know, is considered by some critics to be one of the most compelling in cinematic history.

Personally, I love Bacall's smoldering sexuality, he deep voice and alluring eyes and the flirtatious tip of her head.

I also think Bogart was better next to Bergman for all of her complexities, though Bacall was remarkable for a 19 year old woman.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
This is an interesting perspective. Why do you feel this way? What specifically to you feel is off in the chemistry, which as I am sure you know, is considered by some critics to be one of the most compelling in cinematic history.

Personally, I love Bacall's smoldering sexuality, he deep voice and alluring eyes and the flirtatious tip of her head.

I also think Bogart was better next to Bergman for all of her complexities, though Bacall was remarkable for a 19 year old woman.

Bacall never seemed a match for Bogart for me. They both were kind of passive toward each other. Passive was Bogart's style, but Bogart did it better. I never felt the sparks or tension when they were in the room together. Whenever Bacall and Bogey kiss for the first time in a movie, I never see it coming. I never feel like there was grounds for passion.

You know that thing with old B movies when it always seems sudden and campy when the romantic leads kiss for the first time? I always consider Bacall and Bogart to be a prime example of that.

But, I have yet to find someone who agrees with me, so I attribute this all to my own peculiarity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters