Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Todds Indy Jacket

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
I just got my standard Indy Jacket and boots from Todds Costumes and am very happy with them. I didn't get them as a "costume", but because I've always liked the style, and I needed new boots. (Yeah, with a fedora I'll get the "Indiana Jones" comments, but then I've been called "Indy" while wearing shorts, sandals, and a short sleeve shirt-just cause of a canvas hat and a satchel, so I don't give a *&$% anymore).

The jacket is, again, a standard off the rack one, and the leather is plenty sturdy. It feels just right.

I was worried from reading some "paper thin" posts regarding the leather, but was pleasantly surprised to find the leather to be a very good thickness for this type of jacket. It has worked in the high 30s with a good fleece shirt underneath.

THe only thing I'd change is the "European" zipper, which is on the "wrong" side, but that is part of the "screen accurate" build they do.

The boots have a great look and seem to be pretty tough-they take a bit longer to soften around the top it seems. I really love both the boots and the jacket-they remind me of what my uncle used to wear, and of Indy of course.

Anyway, the Todds standard Indy Jacket is a GREAT deal if you like that look.

:eusa_doh: :whip:

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
I'll have to take a few pics.

Unfortunately, the left boot upper separated from the sole-it is attached with glue. I thought it was sewn to the sole, but was wrong. Todd's immendiately offered to take the boots back.
It's too bad because the boots have a great look and are well made except for the modern glued on sole. I'll probably go with a pair of Redwings, as I prefer the older design that allows shoes to be resoled.

The jacket I am still very happy with and is my daily attire. I walk over a mile to work in northern AZ and even at high 30s F. it has served well with a fleece shrt underneath.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face

Unfortunately, the left boot upper separated from the sole-it is attached with glue. I thought it was sewn to the sole, but was wrong. Todd's immediately offered to take the boots back.
It's too bad because the boots have a great look and are well made except for the modern glued on sole. I'll probably go with a pair of Redwings, as I prefer the older design that allows shoes to be resoled.

The jacket I am still very happy with and is my daily attire. I walk over a mile to work in northern AZ and even at high 30s F. it has served well with a fleece shrt underneath.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, that is a bit of a killer. Shame, as they looked good - guess I'll just wait til i can afford the Aldens. Redwings are nice too. I recently also picked up a pair of Cats which are repros of early 20th Century - 20s / 30s - workboots. Mine are black ,and look and are built very well. There are a lot of great boots out there. Photos would be cool, the jacket sounds great.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
do you mean "Cats" as in Caterpillars? I'd like to know if there is another brand.
Modern boots with the lug soles work well, but I just don't like that "clunky" look. I'd love to get a pair of Aldens!!!

I'll post some pictures soon. I don't have internet at home yet, so it's a bit difficult.

Edward

Bartender
Havana Joe said:
do you mean "Cats" as in Caterpillars? I'd like to know if there is another brand.
Modern boots with the lug soles work well, but I just don't like that "clunky" look. I'd love to get a pair of Aldens!!!

I'll post some pictures soon. I don't have internet at home yet, so it's a bit difficult.

Caterpillars, yes. I have a couple of pairs - these black ones, and a taller (think jumpboot) pair in a tan colour. The tan ones are also 'roughout' style. The latter I wore in China last May; wonderful boots whether in the city or hiking up the Great Wall. I know exactly what you mean about clumsy soles - one of the reasons I was attracted to both my pairs of Cats was that they have flat soles, I'm no fan of heavily lugged either. In actual fact, I'm planning to sell my engineer boots and replace them with a flat sole model due to the lugs (also hoping for something without the steel toecap, and hence lighter).

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I picked up a pair of Todd's boots because I was curious as to how they would fit and wear and did not want to go right to buying the expensive Aldens first. I had no idea how this style of boot would work for me .... I wear Blundstones and love them.

I am sold on this style of boot now and and am going to buy a pair of the higher quality Aldens. These boots look great with all different casual clothing and they feel great on my feet. The one characteristic that stands out with my Todd's boots is their heavy weight. I have gotten used to them and wonder if anybody can let me know how the Aldens boots weigh in comparison to the Todds boots?

Cheers :)

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
I just received a Coyles Indy jacket myself and I must say I am very happy with it. I love the lighter weight, more like a windbreaker than a coat. This is especially nice on those fall and spring days when a heavier jacket is too much. I live on the coast of Southern California and it rarely gets cold enough for much more than a heavy shirt, let alone a jacket. I did a lot of searching before I found this Coyle. There are virtually zero leather windbreakers on the market unless you go to a high end retailer like Nordstrom's and pay major bucks!

filfoster

One Too Many
The Boots get the boot

Havana Joe said:

Unfortunately, the left boot upper separated from the sole-it is attached with glue. I thought it was sewn to the sole, but was wrong. Todd's immediately offered to take the boots back.

I love Todd's site and have bought most of the items except the jacket and hat. I bought the boots and loved how they looked but when I looked very closely at them I concluded they were not real leather-a very convincing facsimile but not genuine. A look at edge of the tongue gave it away. The price made them too-good-to-be-true. Still, for the price-about a fifth of the Alden's, they're good for display or costume wear. I finally broke down a few weeks ago and got the Alden's. Save up, they're worth it. And, you can get some deals if you check various sites. PM or email me if you want a referral.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav