Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Took Dad's Borsalino in For Restoration!

From the Mountains to the Valleys and to all the ships at sea, here is the News!

I had made an inquiry and gotten an answer from the Monticristi guys in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They are currently doing restoration and repairs limited to their own brand of hats, but they suggested Baron Hats in Burbank. I reviewed the Baron web site at www.baronhats.com but could not find a repair, restoration or reconstructive services listed on there. I then sent to Baron an e-mail yesterday about restoration services. The owner Mark Mejia wrote me back and quoted prices this morning. Burbank is a scant 30 miles away which in Los Angeles terms is nearby if under an hour?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s drive. It is even shorter than that one way trip to my old job. So I packed up my dad's Borsalino with Mark?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s email, a map from Mapquest and took to the legendary Los Angeles freeway system. From Covina I went North to the 210 and headed West to 134 West then to the 5 freeway North a couple of exits. I got off at Burbank Boulevard and went West about 6 blocks to their corner establishment. Baron ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCalifornia?¢‚Ǩ? Hats said the big sign outside and in the window next to many hats was a bright neon that said Hats Cleaned and Reblocked or something like that. Inside were many more hats of all kinds along with a lot of fantasy hats and hats of the movies that they had made. There were also many movie posters.

At the counter to the right was a gentleman I recognized from the web site, Mark Mejia. He was speaking quite rapidly in Spanish to a young man in a work apron. Mark was speaking about a western hat he had in his hand and described something about the crown then continued giving instructions. When he finished, Mark turned to me and asked how they could help. I showed him my Dad?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Borsalino and the email. I related that I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d just inquired recently about their services and Mark?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s email. He asked to examine the hat while I listed what I wanted done. I figured Dad?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Borsalino needed a cleaning with re-blocking, to be resized to 7-1/8th, have a new sweat band and new satin liner to replace the originals. Mark gingerly removed the last thread holding the sweat band and pulled lightly on the satin liner and gave an audible gasp! He was very excited to see there was the original careful hand stitching that held the liner to the crown! Mark then exclaimed something in Spanish and took the hat to show the guy in the apron, someone in back, the guy at the counter and the lady at the sewing section across the room and with each spoke about the stitching. He came back to me and said that such stitching is pretty rare, while he has seen it in the past, those at the shop probably had not seen this feature before. Mark said in admiration of the stitching that it was a detail you would likely not find in today?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hats as it would be prohibitly expensive to do. Mark asked me to talk to one of the youngsters at the counter to write me up. Taking my contact info and listing my desired services, he checked my head size to be certain of the sizing. (This I appreciated highly, as a young man I worked in the shoe department at JC Penny?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. As a shoe salesman I knew the number of people that thought they knew their shoe size but actually did not was very high. There are a number of people that understand that they have a wide foot and benefited greatly in comfort while avoiding the unsightly toe curl associated with buying shoes too big to accommodate their width, because I took the time to measure their feet and explain about widths.) Before I left I looked at some of the hats and I am certain that I will get a custom hat from them in the near future. They had some swell Italian Straw Boaters of interest!

10 days to two weeks is the time I am to patiently wait and hope for good news about a hat that will pass from being my Dad?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Borsalino to being mine. Oh I am keeping the old liner and sweat band. I had a thrill actually when the sweat band fell out, there from the time my Dad brought home his hat, inked into the inside of the sweat band, was his carefully printed name: ?¢‚Ǩ?ìO. ERICKSON?¢‚Ǩ? and I instantly recognized my Dad?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s writing style.

It has been 6 years since my Dad passed away. I still miss him, and think of him everyday. Like so many of us, we discover that we become our parents. So, I hear his voice and his thoughts, when I speak to people about things. Because I hear him talking to me as a kid and as a teenager and as a young man in the business world trying to make my way I will always treasure his advice. (My Dad was a machinist of high caliber and he had taken many classes to become a machinist including mechanical drafting. His high degree of competence and know how for reading blue prints and correctly setting up those lathes and milling machines lead to making many prototypes and one off projects. I believe it is this formal portion of his education that lead to a distinctive style of printing he used, which is why I readily recognized his handiwork.) Also if it is true about the numbering system for Borsalino?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, then Dad?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hat was made in 1947, the paper label under the band?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s number started with 47. In 1947, my Dad was out of the Army by then, and WWII had concluded just a couple years before. This is before Mom and Dad were married or even knew each other. Heck Mom had not even made it to the US yet while Dad had come at the age of 7 in 1929 only months before the markets Big Crash and the start of Great Depression.

I was so excited to bring the hat in to be fixed, I neglected to get any ?¢‚Ǩ?ìbefore?¢‚Ǩ? pictures, but I will get some ?¢‚Ǩ?ìafter?¢‚Ǩ? pictures to post. Wish me luck and I let you know how things go.

Baron ?¢‚ǨÀúCalifornia?¢‚Ǩ? Hats
1619 West Burbank Avenue
Burbank, CA 91506

Phone 818-563-3025 to contact Mark Mejia, Owner and Master Hat Maker

Good Night Mister and Missus America!

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Dad's Borsalino

John,
Mark's hat shop does tip top work. I have had work done there AND, I have bought custom made hats from Baron's, i.e., off white fedora and dark green porkpie. Both excellent hats that receive compliments out in public. I have a Stetson Royal Deluxe being tuned up there now.
Glad you found them !!

Update at 2 weeks.

The guys at Baron California Hats have been pretty busy, I had called to see if Dad's Old Borsalino was ready, but they weren't able to pick up. So I left a message in their voice mail and got a call back about 15-20 minutes later. Mark Mejia explained they were nearly done but they were definately going to have to replace the ribbon. i authorized the replacement asking for as close to the original as possible. Should be ready next week.

Warmest regards,

Got it back today!

The cleaning was thorough and the hat's shape seems to be really good. The ribbon was replaced and the new one looks great. The sweat band and liner were also replaced and it is pretty sweet. I'll try to get some pix on Thursday. Baron did a great job. Mark was in the back with one of the workers while i was there so i didn't get a chance to talk to him.

Also i did find out that the Bosalino was a gift from my Dad's cousin Charlie, who picked it up in Italy when he was in the Navy. We are thinking 1947-48.

It is a soft hat but holds it's shape pretty good.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad you got good service on your hat. Maybe they changed their help or their techniques, to be honest others here at the lounge did not have a good experience when sending their hats in to them. So it's great to hear they are doing better. Feedback on different hatters is one of the good things about the lounge as we all benefit from our collective experiences, whether they be good or bad.

fedoralover

A picture!

BorsalinorestorationJan2006Baronhat.jpg

varga49

One of the Regulars
Now thats

a sweet hat! Glad to hear you had good fortune with Baron! I just sent one of my Adams Executives in for restoration to Art! When I got it it was pretty rough having the sweat band whipp stiched in by "who knows". I'll post the results when it comes home!

Dad's Hat Came out great!

fedoralover said:
You can't argue with that, it looks fantastic. Did you say it was for sale? fedoralover
Great! Tease me! I think of course that everything has its price, however it would have to be a figure with a lot of zeros after the number!

The total not including tax was $80 and it would have been $90 bt Mark had misquoted the Cleaning and Blocking charges and I brought in the email with his quotes so the guys went, "Ok, we gotta do that, for that, then."

I think they did a very good job. The Bosalino is a fairly soft hat and pretty light in weight compared to my Stetson Sovreign. The Stetson I got about 6-8 years ago after watching Mullholland Falls. (Nick Nolte is simply menacing in his fedora.)

I hope to be able to bring it to some sort of get-together of the Lads and Lasses here in So Cal.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I wish there was somebody in New York that could renovate hats as good as these guys like Art and Graham . We get so many people in our stores that have beautiful old hats that need major renovation . We can do basic flanging and hand block the hat , but if someone needs to have the leather changed and the binding fixed ,we're at a loss .\
Anyone want to move to NYC?:cool2:

I find it strange that there is no hatter that does restoration and cleaning in NYC. Perhaps the rent is too high. NYC is the type of place where you should be able to find anything and in a short period of time too. Perhaps a search of the out laying counties will produce a place.

If you find someone or have to send it out please give a report on the work, the establishment and your experience.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana