Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topcoat Question

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Does anyone know where to get a top coat like the gentleman on the right has?
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/crosby_square/1564_3.jpg

Nobody, not even Ralph Lauren, is offering chesterfield coats with that silhouette, and those dimensions, off-the-rack these days. Your best bet is to have one custom made, or to look on eBay and Etsy. http://mattdeckard.com/ could probably create one for you.

This vintage 1930s or '40s coat by "Rogers Peet" (see photo) sold a few months ago on Etsy for over $500, I believe. How much are you willing to spend?

COat.jpg

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I think they're properly called overcoats. Keep in mind that your pic is an artist's rendition photographed at an angle to boot. The proportions are far from reality. Off the top of my head you could possibly tailor something like this:D

OVC6.jpg

DDR coats, while rough wool, are well made but yes, it would need a bit of modification. $45 at Gowen Militaria

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Nobody, not even Ralph Lauren, is offering chesterfield coats with that silhouette, and those dimensions, off-the-rack these days. Your best bet is to have one custom made, or to look on eBay and Etsy. http://mattdeckard.com/ could probably create one for you.

This vintage 1930s or '40s coat by "Rogers Peet" (see photo) sold a few months ago on Etsy for over $500, I believe. How much are you willing to spend?

COat.jpg

Wow! That is beautiful! I hope for something like that, perhaps custom is in order...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I was just rattling your cage. ;) My unedited post contained mention of a jigger button and a good pressing.....:p Along with mention of a few elite RTW makers who offer such ilk but at a price that would make SR bespoke seem reasonable.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
TCMFan, there are a couple "Chesterfield overcoats" on Ebay. You might want to try searching "velvet collar overcoat" and other combinations too because I doubt most people are gonna know the proper name.

'Topcoats' tend to be of lighter weight wool or gabardine, as well as being single-breasted.

Traditionally, I believe topcoats have always been shorter too, the knee being the demarcation line. You're right though, the current trends have kind of blurred things, which I don't care for.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Of course an option would be to find a coat that you like and have a tailor add a velvet collar. Dark gray with a subtle herringbone would be my first choice.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That coat is made by Kiton and new would probably retail for around 10k today. The color/cloth is a great addition to any wardrobe but only after the staple (darker) colors/cloths have been covered.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
On some of these coats I've noticed the two top buttons are out where your nipples are. Is there a reason for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats