Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trader Vic's in L.A. to close?

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
http://www.laobserved.com/

"Trader Vic's fate sealed
Forget the condo towers. A 120-room Waldorf-Astoria hotel now is planned for the high-profile crossing of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards in Beverly Hills. In the project, the adjacent Beverly Hilton will lose its Oasis Court and Lanai rooms. The offices along Wilshire and the famed Trader Vic's also have to go. Wilshire will get two new lanes and Santa Monica will pick up a westbound lane along the hotel. More at LA Biz Observed"

I caught the tail end of story on the news tonight about this...Say it isn't so!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
They closed the vis in Seattle years ago. I only went once. Before I really apreciated the vintge thing. I love tht fact that into the eighties this odd old school lounge existed as the lounge of a high end fancy hotel downtown.

I used to love the old school vintage tiki bar in the sunse tin S n Francisco, but I cna't remeber the name. It dated back to the fifties though. And of course Sf had the Tonga room.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Quite sad to hear that another Trader Vic's is closing their doors. I always loved the Trader Vic's at the Plaza in New York. Two years ago I was encouraged to hear that they were looking to re-open in NYC, but sadly this has not occurred.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Oh boy, more cars to soak up Wilshire Boulevard!

I better visit Trader Vics before it closes. I've never eaten there

If you live or ever come to Los Angeles, and want to visit Wilshire Blvd, walk or take the subway!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
They closed the vis in Seattle years ago. I only went once. Before I really apreciated the vintge thing. I love tht fact that into the eighties this odd old school lounge existed as the lounge of a high end fancy hotel downtown.

I used to love the old school vintage tiki bar in the sunse tin S n Francisco, but I cna't remeber the name. It dated back to the fifties though. And of course Sf had the Tonga room.

They moved - they're at Lincoln Plaza in Bellevue...back in behind Maggiano's where the FL Seattle dinner was several months ago.

I remember having dinner at the soon to be gone LA Trader Vic's for a friend's birthday about 15 years ago. Jerry Brown (ex-governor of California) was having dinner there and in a happy, animated conversation with his dinner companion. They were seated in a roped off area a little ways away from us and we could never see who he was with because they were seated in those big wicker queen's chairs like Morticia Addams.

Feraud

Bartender
Oh too bad. I had a nice dinner in great comany with Matt Deckard and Senator Jack when I attended the QM last year.
Picture643.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
reetpleat wrote: "I used to love the old school vintage tiki bar in the sunse tin S n Francisco, but I cna't remeber the name. It dated back to the fifties though. And of course Sf had the Tonga room."

If you are thinking about Trad'r Sam out at 26th and Geary, its still there and going strong. Its been around since 1939.

Haversack.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
PrettyBigGuy said:
The Trader Vics @ the Palmer House in Chicago closed a year or two ago as well.

Sadly, yes. I know the gent that has acquired the solid wood doors. I'll miss those "keg-o-rum" drinks, dearly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ