Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Help...

CA Rosie

New in Town
I have some questions for the girls in the UK and Europe.
I am making plans to visit Europe next year and have never been to England and need some help in planning my trip. Can any of you suggest places to go other than the typical tourist traps. I am also a WWII reenactor so places to shop for vintage would be great.
Thanks,
Kirsten aka CA Rosie

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I would say Camden Market in London, but most of the vintage stuff there *is* american! LOL

Try the Lanes in Brighton if you are down the south of England, as I have picked up a few good bits and pieces there.

There is a shop in Portsmouth and Chichester called the 'One Legged Jockey' they used to have a good selection of 40s/50s vintage americana (again) - but last time I looked in the Portsmouth branch, they had 70s platforms! :eek:

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but I get most of my stuff on e-bay these days!

Where in England are you going?

GOK

One Too Many
If your timeframe allows for it, you simply must go to York. It's one of my favourite cities. Choc-full of history. For vintage, if you can get to Manchester, there are quite a few places - Affleck's Palace is a mall, which houses lots of vintage shops. There's also a retro café that also sells clothing. I think it's called Rockers.

I've never found Camden to be particularly good for golden era vintage wear, TBH. Apparently Portobello Road market is better.

The 1940s Society is based in Kent - if you contact them, I'm sure they could give you some assistance (and they have THE most gorgeous Chrimbo cards at the moment!).

http://www.1940.co.uk/

If you find yourself around Northampton - let me know! :D

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I forgot to mention - there is a great militaria shop in Southsea, Portsmouth. They sell loads of WWII British forces uniform (if you were interested in having a nose?) but alas for me as they don't sell WLA, only hire it out. :(

Tell us more about your WWII reenactment!

CA Rosie

New in Town
Travel Help/Reenacting

Well, I guess this is more of a introduction than anything else.
So, here goes.... My name is Kirsten, I live in a Southern California town called Santa Clarita. Magic Mountain (an amusement park) is about 20 minutes from my house and on a good day I can hit the freeway and drive to Disneyland (south of me) in about and hour and a half.

I reenact with a group called the California Historical Group. The unit that I'm with is a new WAC unit, the 6669th Headquarter Platoon. But my uniforms dont stop as a WAC, I can cover 12 different impressions from WAC to Army Nurse to USO Hostess and my favorite Rosie the Riveter.

I am currently working with my dad to rebuild a WWII 44' Willies Jeep. Its been quite a battle itself since it come without the engine.
With my reenacting I have fallen in love with the character or Samantha on Foyles War. If I could afford to purchase a new Uniform it would be a WAF (I believe thats what she is). But that has to be put on hold due to the jeep.

Besides that I am also on a Swing Dance Team call The BobbySox Brigade. I am currently the lucky girl that gets to advise proper vintage costuming for 42 people.

I guess thats about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou