Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling.. in Vintage Style

Lenore

Practically Family
Well ladies, it has finally happened...

My husband is going to take me on our 4 year over due honeymoon!:D

August 29th, you will find me winging it to Dublin. I'm excited though this is sort of a problem with my wardrobe! The weather is obviously very different from Houston. Wet where we are dry, cool where we are hot.

Looking at my wardrobe, I really don't have much that I can fall back on as this is the first fall/winter after I've lost weight and was planning on getting a bunch of new clothing. (Actually, I think I have one pair of pants... no, I'm not kidding. :( ) As fall doesn't really hit here until late October, if then, I wasn't planning on building my fall/winter options until later September into October. Now, I'm in a rush. If anyone knows Libras, we don't RUSH anything. lol

As I have to do this all of a sudden, I'd like some advice on what would be some vintage inspired staples that would work for traveling and the weather in Dublin. I snoop through the tons of VI sites listed through here and find some lovely things that I plan to buy, but really I need to figure out what I'll need first. Shoes included actually, as I won't be able to wear my lovely Aris Allen reproductions with the suede soles in rainy Ireland. :(

One week in a cold rainy country... what's a girl to do!?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations! Dublin is a fantastic city!

The weather where I live is more similar to Dublin than Houston. Though, in true Canadian style, we get more snow than Ireland, for sure. So I shall offer a few suggestions, keeping in mind things you can wear back home.

-Three quarter length sleeve lightweight cashmere sweaters, preferably with bows. Cute with skirts or trousers, and not too warm.

-Heavy linen skirts, below the knee. Fully pleated or pencil is cute.

-Closed toe shoes. You don't want wet feet!

-Lightweight wool wrap dresses. You can wear a cotton blouse underneath for added warmth.

-High waisted, wide leg trousers in a plain coloured denim. Very 40's.

I wear all of these outfits when it snows here, with heavier coats, stockings, or underclothes where needed. Hope I helped!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lenore, couldn't you get a cobbler to put rubber soles on your Aris Allen shoes? Otherwise, if you are set on buying new shoes, a pair of oxfords are the most versatile shoes! I use them both day and night. I have a few different models, but a pair in your basic color or perhaps even better a contrasting color to really complement would be a good choice. And perhaps a pair of ankle boots for rainy days?

What about underwear?

My suggestion for a list of basics:

• A-line skirts in your basic color (black, brown, navy, grey).
  • High-waisted pants in your basic color (however you like them, wide-legged, cigarette or whatever).
  • Some pretty/dramatic/interesting/insert-your-own-style-here blouses to go with the bottoms.
  • Cardigans that go with your basic color and with your blouses.
  • A little black dress for evenings out. It could also be another color if you cannot wear black, but nothing beats the elegance of black, really.
  • A trenchcoat (beige, stone, navy, black). Make sure the color goes well with your shoes!

Everything else is pretty much bonus, I think! :) How many skirts and pants and blouses you get really just depends on your budget, I would get at least two skirts.

Lenore

Practically Family
Yay! This was exactly what I had hoped for. Thank you!

I found a bunch of high waisted wide legged pants on Newport News just now that seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. If I order them this week, I should get them in time to have them tailored and be ready for the trip.

Doesn't a man know he's supposed to give sufficient time to allow a woman to pack accordingly!? :rage:

Lenore

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
Lenore, couldn't you get a cobbler to put rubber soles on your Aris Allen shoes?

Laura,

I have a call into the Shoe Hospital to quote just that!

Though, the thought of a new pair of shoes wouldn't be rejected. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana