Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling Akruba

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How well does the Deluxe Federation IV travel????

I am either thinking of buying a traveling hat or just use my fed???

I will be flying......and not packed away.

Any thoughts???

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I don't own one, but by all accounts it is a very durable hat. If the felt and construction are anything like my Campdraft, it should be able to handle travel quite well so long as you don't plan on rolling it up for great lenghths of time.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I've got 6 Fed IVs and I would take them in an instant for a travelling hat. Not crushable but they look great, hold up well (to everything I've put them through so far) and not so expensive that if an elephant eats it you can't get another one.

I always base a hat's value not on it's actual worth or craftsmanship, but on living with an elephant eating it - you've got to feel sad about it, but you get warmed up knowing that you can get another :D

Goose.

Practically Family
Hi Carlisle Blues...

I've flown with my BBB Panama hats (know you are a Panama fan) and my Akubra Sydney...but not a Fed.

Thinking that a Fed would travel well via air. Would be less concerned about getting it messed up than one of my Panama hats for certain. It's a very forgiving hat.

Have taken it on road trips and, when it's hot I have tossed in the back seat with other gear. No worse for wear. Once, my Moonstone brim and crown got a bit ragged in the back with some boxes that shifted, it was an easy fix.

Can't compare it to a Camp Draft, nor do I tread where hungy hungry hippos or elephants hang, but I agree with the two previous posts ;)

Your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they apprear. Don't run with scissors.

BobC

I have also travelled with Panamas that came home no worse for the wear. I can't imagine that any Akubra wouldn't muster up.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
But of course!

No problem with air travel or far more stressful uses. Ditto to everything FFF and Goose said. I would never put a hat in an overhead, but frequently put mine down by my feet - making sure there's no crud there.

Just don't leave it where it could get stolen.

I lost a fedora (decent but not a great one) once that way. Brief unplanned stop, we were told we could get out and stretch our legs but only for 10 minutes max, so I left a briefcase and coat and my hat on the vacant seat next to me.

No passengers were leaving at this destination, and when I got off there were only four or five others behind me. Attendants said no maintenance crew or anybody else had come aboard and they never saw anyone leaving with a hat. But my hat was gone and never recovered.

I checked out everyone as they left the plane when we got to our destination, searched the entire passenger compartment when all were gone. Still can't figure it out. But I don't let my hat out of sight around airports anymore.

- Bill

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I just had my Fed IV Deluxe with me when I flew to Belgium and back and it survived the journey very well, despite the fact that we had out 1-year-old with us. I basically had to wear it on my head during the return flight, since the overhead was full of stuff (on the first leg, the compartment right above me was completely empty so there was no danger of crushing).

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
Wearing it is not an option: you couldn't lean against the headrest. Your neck would be shot by the end of the flight.
I had no problem wearing mine, but, then again, I'm tall enough to tower over the headrests and they are more like neckrests for me...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Wolfwood said:
I had no problem wearing mine, but, then again, I'm tall enough to tower over the headrests and they are more like neckrests for me...

I don't actually tower over them, but I'm tall enough to make it work when I want. Tip it forward and it makes a nice eyeshade if you're drowsing.

Reason I don't like putting hats in overheads is, even bet the last person huffing and puffing aboard at the last moment will take their bag and jam it forcibly into the selfsame overhead without looking. Well, OK, sometimes I do but my flights have been crowded for a long time.

- Bill

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
I brought my Fed IV deluxe along recently when I traveled to Egypt. If you don't mind wearing the hat constantly, then it won't come to much harm. As others have mentioned, it can make an excellent eyeshade so long as you're not against the "Indy" look.

It can, however, be a bit more to handle if you're carrying it with your luggage, carry-on, boarding pass and etc. Coupled with my own negligence, my hat took a REAL beating during the trip (unfortunately, I never did grab a photo of it just after a sandstorm).

All and all, I'd say that the Fed makes an excellent travel hat, however the dimensions of it can be a bit off-putting if you do have to carry it at some point.

Best of luck to you!

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the Fed handled VERY well in temperatures in the upper 90's, not to mention incredibly bright sun. Useful hat!

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Thank you very much Gentlemen.... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Oh and you too Goose.....lol lol lol

I look forward to test flying my Fed!!!!!!!!!!!!1
HA HA!!! That only took me a few hours to get lol
Like I said at work one time, "I may noy be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not a spork".

Next day one of my team mates left a plastic spork on my desk :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

Goose. said:
Like I said at work one time, "I may noy be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not a spork".

Next day one of my team mates left a plastic spork on my desk :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

You are too funny.....lol lol lol

BobC

Goose. said:

lol lol lol lol

Edward

Bartender
FFF - I must bear the 'elephant eating' test in mind next timed I buy hats.... :lol: I wouldn't travel with a hat that was irreplaceable or a custom build, but for soemthing that can be replaced... one of my Fed IIIs has been on short-hops to Belfast, and my safariised Riverina has been as far afield as China, twice (including a tour of China, with five internal stops - three internal flights and one overnight train journey). Nary a problem. I've also flown with other hats. I put them all in the overhead, just make sure they're on top of my bag - and I'm pretty much always carrying the max sized hand luggage, so. Eventually I woul like a couple of those Christies travelling fedoras, but that would be so I could put one orf more in the case and have the option of more than one fedora at my destination - useful for longer trips, like the annual Christmas-with-the-family tour of duty.

rrog

A-List Customer
FurFeltFedora said:
not so expensive that if an elephant eats it you can't get another one.

I'm thinking that if you're in a position where an elephant eats your hat, replacing it should be moved down a few notches on your priotity list. Getting the heck out of Dodge should immediately become your first priority!

lol

rrog

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wolfwood said:
I just had my Fed IV Deluxe with me when I flew to Belgium and back and it survived the journey very well, despite the fact that we had out 1-year-old with us. ...

Why do I picture your hats speckled in drool and sticky finger prints lol?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui