Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Doctor Damage

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^
You've posted that coat before I think and it's always impressed me as an excellent old-school look! nice to see such large-size, clear photos. Question about the metal D-rings that hang from the bottom of the front and back yokes--did you sew them up? I thought they would hang down.

-Ariel-

Familiar Face
^
You've posted that coat before I think and it's always impressed me as an excellent old-school look! nice to see such large-size, clear photos. Question about the metal D-rings that hang from the bottom of the front and back yokes--did you sew them up? I thought they would hang down.
Yes indeed. I sew them up, I prefer d-rings only on the belt of trench.

-Ariel-

Familiar Face
Czekh brown trench.

Attachments

• IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4859.jpg
    IMG_4859.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35

VansonRider

Familiar Face
Hello!
It’s been a while since I posted, but I have a U.S. army trench coat question that’s been driving me nuts!

I have two trenches, (OD-7 overcoat, field) you know, the one with the button out wool bathrobe liner. One dated 1946, and the other 1953.

The ‘46 dated coat is almost TWICE as thick as the ‘53 dated model. The wool liners are the same, but the cotton shell on the earlier model weighs about 2 pounds more than the ‘50s made one.

The ‘46 coat is a Long Medium, and I found the Reg Large ‘53 coat to replace it, but I want the same heavier weight.

So I come to you guys to see if the weight difference is something the same across all the earlier vs later dated coats? Or is it a manufacturers difference? Has anyone noticed the weight difference and can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

Thank you!!

Doctor Damage

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello!
It’s been a while since I posted, but I have a U.S. army trench coat question that’s been driving me nuts!

I have two trenches, (OD-7 overcoat, field) you know, the one with the button out wool bathrobe liner. One dated 1946, and the other 1953.

The ‘46 dated coat is almost TWICE as thick as the ‘53 dated model. The wool liners are the same, but the cotton shell on the earlier model weighs about 2 pounds more than the ‘50s made one.

The ‘46 coat is a Long Medium, and I found the Reg Large ‘53 coat to replace it, but I want the same heavier weight.

So I come to you guys to see if the weight difference is something the same across all the earlier vs later dated coats? Or is it a manufacturers difference? Has anyone noticed the weight difference and can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

Thank you!!
Let me put on my reasonable speculation hat... The 1946 coat is probably wartime spec, and wartime coats would have been worn in all weather conditions, including by some combat troops or troops in combat zones. But by 1953 these coats would no longer have been used for field wear and would have become outerwear worn by officers in service dress walking between office buildings on a base somewhere, so the specs would have changed to a lighter weight config.

Peacoat

Bartender
Bartender
I think @Doctor Damage has a good theory here.

You asked, "So I come to you guys to see if the weight difference is something the same across all the earlier vs later dated coats? Or is it a manufacturers difference?"

Military contracts have specifications that the manufacturers must follow. A "manufacturers' difference" isn't allowed. So with the second part of your question being eliminated, only the first remains as viable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yitaro