Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trenchcoats, still a faux-pas for teens?

Phil

A-List Customer
It has come to my attention that anoyne between the ages of 16 and 18 wearing a trenchcoat MUST be carrying a gun or two. Now, I do wear my school jacket when I'm dressed casually in jeans and a black t-shirt, but when I wear more formal clothes I like to wear my trenchcoat. However, everyone seems to look at me strange and step a little bit away from me. Don't get me wrong, it's kind of nice on a packed subway ride when evevryone give you your own personal space, but it's just horrible to profile someone on their jacket. I know that the two kids who shot up Columbine Highschool wore trenchcoats, but now I am seen as some crazy gunman whenever I wear my trenchcoat. I ask the people of the Fedora Lounge for some thoughts, opinions, and maybe some help for finding a better overcoat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wear a camel overcoat right now.
I got the shooter thing when I wore my trench. I outgrew it in a matter of months, so it didn't matter anyway.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Let them think whatever they want. It's an overcoat. Hopefully the rest of your attire is enough to make the more reasonable realize you're not connected with such stupidity.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I wear a plain front long London Fog(light tan)rain or shine with or without the liner. It's a classic then and now, and looks great with a hat.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Phil,

Obviously many people will associate a younger gentlemen in a trench coat with Columbine, but it is the persona that you give off that will immediately set you apart. If you stare at the floor and don't look at anybody you may come off as suspicious. But if you wear the coat like a gentlemen - greet people as they walk by, give up your seat on the train to ladies and children, and allow yourself to give off a positive impression - you will be regarded in a much different light. (As you are a member of the Lounge, I assume you already do these things.)

It's all in how you carry yourself. If you don't think about being lumped in the the troubled youth at Columbine, others won't either.

Oh, yeah...and SMILE.

Feraud

Bartender
SinatraStyle said:
Phil,

Obviously many people will associate a younger gentlemen in a trench coat with Columbine, but it is the persona that you give off that will immediately set you apart. If you stare at the floor and don't look at anybody you may come off as suspicious. But if you wear the coat like a gentlemen - greet people as they walk by, give up your seat on the train to ladies and children, and allow yourself to give off a positive impression - you will be regarded in a much different light. (As you are a member of the Lounge, I assume you already do these things.)

It's all in how you carry yourself. If you don't think about being lumped in the the troubled youth at Columbine, others won't either.

Oh, yeah...and SMILE.
Exactly! :eusa_clap

Sunny

One Too Many
My third brother, who is now 16, has been wearing hats and overcoats/raincoats in cool weather for the last two or three years. His friends in classes and in choir like it. He's worn both on the last two choir tours, one to Chicago and one to New York/Washington, D.C. It's hard to think he's a gunsel when he's around 75+ other kids in blue polos and khakis. He's definitely not a stare-at-the-ground type guy, although he's certainly not in your face, either. He's a great one for jokes, so he's often smiling, even if the smile is lurking underneath. Completely a gentleman, and loads of fun. And incidentally such an ordinary-looking fellow we tell him he'd make a great spy. :p

Troubled youth? Nah - unless he's sulking about Mom making him fix his problems in Algebra 2. I guess I didn't mention we're all homeschooled. ;)

Havana

One of the Regulars
If you wear anything other than what is currently popular for your age group, people are going to try to "interpret" or classify your clothing in some overly simplistic and usually erroneous way. We've all heard it. Wear a hat and you're instantly Indiana Jones, Elliot Ness or a cowboy. Wear a leather jacket and you're Fonzie, a pilot, or some sort of troublemaker. When I was your age in the pre-Columbine era, any young person who wore a long coat was called Highlander or Bogey. The only way you can really defeat this kind of stupidity is to presevere. If you're getting tired of people's reactions, you might want to try a color other than black. Maybe go a little out of your way to not appear brooding or like a loner. Wear what you want above all. Just remember that no matter what you're wearing, people are stupid and will continue to be so.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
IGNORE IT !!

It's my view that people who make facetious remarks about anothers attire are actually envious of the fact that YOU have the self confidence to dress that way - the way you want - and THEY do not !!

They'd maybe like to step out from the herd themselves, they just don't have the b*##$ lol

aliados

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
My trenchcoat and hat also got me a lot of the "inspector gadget" remarks
Ditto, but I content myslef having contempt for those who utter such nonsense. Amazingly, while I seem always to have had some notion that this world existed before I had, and have a modicum of respect for the past, many of today's people fail to recognize that, in the 30s and 40s, everyone dressed as Inspector Gadget!

Once -- and only once -- I heard (from a woman somwhast older than I) -- that I looked not like Inspector Gadget, but like William Powell (bless her heart)!
Charlie

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
An excellent comment!

Havana said:
If you wear anything other than what is currently popular for your age group, people are going to try to "interpret" or classify your clothing in some overly simplistic and usually erroneous way. We've all heard it. Wear a hat and you're instantly Indiana Jones, Elliot Ness or a cowboy. Wear a leather jacket and you're Fonzie, a pilot, or some sort of troublemaker. When I was your age in the pre-Columbine era, any young person who wore a long coat was called Highlander or Bogey. The only way you can really defeat this kind of stupidity is to presevere. If you're getting tired of people's reactions, you might want to try a color other than black. Maybe go a little out of your way to not appear brooding or like a loner. Wear what you want above all. Just remember that no matter what you're wearing, people are stupid and will continue to be so.
Very true -- words to live by!!

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Shoes maketh a man. Apart from a gentleman's hat (avoid the gangsterly-looking type), consider wearing a cap toe or wingtip lace-up. Make sure the trouser legs showing under the bottom of your trench coat are not those Chicago gangster-type with wide white stripes. Avoid putting your hands inside your pockets most of the time, and try carrying a portfolio or briefcase. Make sure you carry it outside your coat, not inside as if something mysterious is bulging inside the coat. If possible, make your hands look more occupied, e.g., carrying a gentleman's walking stick, umbrella, paper or a book. Try to hold a book that has a title more like "How to be a millionaire" and not "How to solve the World's problems within five minutes". If you wear glasses, avoid sunglasses. Display a neat haircut. Put a peaceful-looking white handkerchief in your vest pocket. Avoid gangster-type jewelry, e.g., rings with skeleton skulls; leather-wear. Try to put on a tie or bow-tie. Look satisfied with the World; avoid a who's next look.

Christopher

New in Town
Wear what you feel comfortable in and don't worry about it. A lot of good advice given here though.

I bought a leather full body trench with leg straps for next to nothing online and as a person in the "extra beefy" category, I tend to stand out a tad. As my step-mother said one time while handing my coat with two hands "God feels like you have the weight of a cow on you". lol

People have a tendency to label people by looks alone. Dress the way you want, be who you are and everything will still fall into a category that I have always felt comfortable with...stylish.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Well, I'm a senior in high school and have been wearing khaki and drab trenchcoats here, weather-permitting. Looks like a million bucks with a suit underneath. I get the Inspector Gadget or private eye comment every once in a while, but I just brush it off.

IMG_3406-vi.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That is pretty stylish!
Glad to see a younger guy carrying the flame for dressing well.
Contrary to what you see on MTV, the "pants down to my ankles so you can see my boxers" look is not the epitome of class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana