Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Triumph Brando Johnny Strabler jacket

Edward

Bartender
Just seen this from Triumph:

!Be2lKqgCGk~$(KGrHqMOKkUErzHnjBojBK--OwEnyw~~_12.JPG

I've seen them selling, new, on eBay for £260. Not had the opportunity to peruse one in person, though. Nice jacket... pity about the addition of the triumph logo (from POV of screen accuracy), but on the other hand at least they've done it in a way that is non-obtrusive. The belting area looks all wrong to me, though. I wonder how accurate the rest of the cut of the jacket is?

Surprised Schott have never done anything like this, actually. Now they won't be able to, of course - I'm sure part of the licensing deal with Triupmh will be exclusivity.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
yes,that's pretty far from an actual Schott jacket. I'm not keen on the skull, but the Triumph logo will be nice, IF you actually are riding one.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the more I look at the jacket, the more 'off' the details are.... I know what you're getting at re the Triumph branding. While I still fancy one of those oldschool Indian sweaters that one of our members is involved in producing / selling, I'm otherwise wary of wearing motorcycle branding, being as I'm not and never have been a biker. It wouldn't be, in my opinion, as toe-curlingly naff as running about in Harley bits (as I did, shamefully enough, back in my early teen years), but even so...

Still, they did a nice job of the actual BRMC colours.

celtic

A-List Customer
it would be much cheaper (and look better, IMHO) if you bought any old Schott Perfecto motorcycle jacket and had someone paint it on.

If you wanted true authenticity, you could find a vintage Schott "one star" perfecto and have it painted.

Edward

Bartender
Guttersnipe said:
The painting doesn't come within a country mile of what is seen in the move:

brmc.jpg

The main difference I see is sizing, and the Triumph jacket has the bone-joins on the top of the skull, which the original doesn't. Of course, to be fair to triumph, that difference in the actual design (as opposed to sizing - those all look pretty uniform to me) could be down to them having copied one particular jacket from a shot in the film, bearing in mind that they would all have been handpainted, and thus susceptible to a certain level of difference... A few years ago I was involved in a Grease theme night for which I prepped and painted four different T-Birds jackets.... watched that film inside out for days, and there were a heck of a lot of differences between four jackets that were theoretically the "same" colours!

gtdean48 said:
That is SO close to an Outlaws MC patch, it would be an issue in the States for sure!

Oh, yeah - the Outlaws were the ones I was thinking of too. It's something I've long considered doing as a project, but there's no way I'd be wearing one outside of the context of a costumed event, with full Brando garb. I don't know if the Outlaws organise to any great degree over here, but there's some chances not worth taking... I know those guys have to do a lot of things, some of them not at all nice, to earn their colours, so I can see why they might get kinda upset at some eedjit who saunters in wearing them for fun.

celtic said:
it would be much cheaper (and look better, IMHO) if you bought any old Schott Perfecto motorcycle jacket and had someone paint it on.

If you wanted true authenticity, you could find a vintage Schott "one star" perfecto and have it painted.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. I was keeping half an eye out forf an old 613 One Star, though from everything I read, Brando's is believed to have been the later 618 model, modified (with the addition of the stars on the shoulders - significantly in the moddle of the epaulette as opposed to towards the outer edge, as on the 613) to make it look like the earlier jacket. As I recall, the original incident on which the film is based too place in the late 40s, so perhaps what they were trying to do was to give something of a 40s look to what was then a contemporary (early 50s) jacket?

As an aside, you wouldn't believe how many websites giving a run down of The Wild One bracket it in as being about "the youthful rebellion of rock and rol yadda yadda yadda".... I mean, surely even the year of release (1953) should give away that it is distinctly pre-rock and roll, but for someone who has actually watched it, there's nary a sniff of what we would now call fifties rock and roll in it. Closer Glen Miller than anything else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui