Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Feraud, Jul 21, 2008.

1. alanfgag

alanfgag

Mid-century Navajo modernism.

Navajo_modernism_111421.jpg

2. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

The Greek key Navajo style.

alanfgag likes this.
  3. dh66

dh66

That bracelet is a truly impressive piece, Alan

alanfgag likes this.
  4. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thank you. It’s marked with the horned sun of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild… posted some additional photos of it further back. Very elegant form and beautifully crafted as well. Some of the NACG pieces are special.

dh66 likes this.
  5. alanfgag

alanfgag

Here is a sampling from my collection of cuffs from the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild. The NACG, founded in 1941 under the auspices of the US government Indian Arts and Crafts Board with support from Navajo tribal authority the NACG helped support a return to traditional values in Navajo silversmithing in response to the pressures of the tourist trade on Indian arts and crafts. Excellence of craftsmanship and design were attributes required for a piece to be recognized by the guild with the horned sun stamp (sometimes "Navajo" was also imprinted). A stunning spare aesthetic also appears in some of these pieces, a mid-century influence that speaks to both traditional Native imagery and contemporary design trends. I find these pieces beautiful and fascinating.

nacg_modernist_cuffs.jpg

6. alanfgag

alanfgag

The Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild members produced some wonderful pins and brooches. I have several and keep them pinned on my wooly jackets and vests. Here is one with an unusual and beautiful abstract rendering of a horse in motion.

nacg_horsepin_2.jpg

nacg_horsepin_3.jpg

nacg_horsepin_1.jpg

7. alanfgag

alanfgag

Some antique and ancient trade beads in the low December sunshine. 33FA5492-07EA-425F-A9A6-9B5A6C940E6E.jpeg

Bamaboots, dh66, handymike and 2 others like this.
  8. alanfgag

alanfgag

Just for a little spice, tiny salt spoon by Kenneth Begay. These come up for sale frequently… I was happy to find one at a modest price. About 2” long, beautifully crafted.

7E9954B5-DD6F-42A2-85C9-DEFACA1965D0.jpeg

BE925A9C-A7EC-4EF5-B678-65150CFC4871.jpeg