Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Rental

hargist

One of the Regulars
I'm getting married in October and I'm wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for a reputable national chain for tuxedo rentals.

My preference is to buy one, but since I have four groomsmen, it's more practical to rent as I don't expect everyone to buy. Plus, I want everyone to match.

Myself and most of the groomsmen are coming from Los Angeles, but my Best Man is coming from Connecticut. The wedding is in Chicago, so it makes sense to have a national chain handle it so everyone can get fitted in their respective cities and pick up the tuxedos in Chicago.

An establishment that carries classic styles is preferable, of course.

Any suggestions?

Geesie

Practically Family
Buy, and as long as you have the same lapel and number of buttons as the ones the groomsmen rent, nobody will notice.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I agree...

Geesie said:
Buy, and as long as you have the same lapel and number of buttons as the ones the groomsmen rent, nobody will notice.

...I bought one 20 yrs ago and have worn it at least a few dozen times. I've made my money back many times over. It feels a little classy to have you own.

I am not sure if the Mens Warehouse rents tuxes.

But I recall that a guy left his suit home accidentally when traveling for business and he called the closest MW who called the local one he bought from to get the measurements over the phone so he could get fitted quickly at the MW he was visiting.

So it sounds posible to get measured before hand and send it to the Chicago shop to have stuff ready for pick up, if done right.

David V

A-List Customer
Unlike the Bridesmaids, your grooms men need not match. Actually. nothing says "rental" more than all the men in the same thing.

You could layout the basics for them: Peak or shawl, 1 button SB or DB, White shirt black bow tie and waist covering and let them choose what looks best on them.

Just don't let anyone put those mini corsages on them. A single small flower with no added leaves or sprigs of what-not.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Another vote for buying. In particular, if you seem to end up being invited to weddings or other functions every year or so. Besides you really have to watch the rental stuff these days, wow lots of it is bad...

Geesie

Practically Family
Mid-fogey said:
...I bought one 20 yrs ago and have worn it at least a few dozen times. I've made my money back many times over. It feels a little classy to have you own.

I bought one for high school prom, wore it to my wedding, and still pull it out now and then, though I have to more jackets now.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Check Ebay. They often have used rental tuxes at a good price. Keep in mind however that if you wear a tux with a notch lapel (as opposed to shawl or peak) and have even one Lounger present, said Lounger will be rolling his eyes at you in dismay. Notch collar = declasse. And all wool is MUCH nicer and more comfortable than poly or wool poly blend. I agree about not matching. Each man should pick a tux he feels he looks best in. Looking good with is not the same thing as being identical to.
In your profession you'll have plenty of opportunities to wear a tux in the future.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Actually, you've clarified something for me. The answer was in my closet all along. I have a tux that I bought a couple years ago that is exactly the kind of tux I would otherwise rent (single-breasted, peaked lapels, single button, double-besomed pocket). And it's already tailored!

I was thinking about renting because I was caught up in having everyone match, but after thinking about your comments, I like the idea of everyone not perfectly matching.

As an aside, is anyone aware of my tux designer? The label says Linea Domizia. I Googled it and the only thing I came up with is that it is an Italian designer and I found one jacket on eBay that retails for $1,100 (so says the post). I bought it second hand at a store where I've had good luck in the past. I don't know much about designers. I buy my suits based on style and fit and I've been lucky enough in the past to have inadvertently bought suits by Lanvin and Valentino, and realized it only after the purchase. I'm wondering if I was similarly lucky when I bought my tux.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Another idea- My hubby bought his wool tux for our wedding. He also bought a tailcoat separately. He wore white tie and tails for the wedding, and all the groomsmen rented wearing single button tux with a vest that matched the bridesmaids and the flower girl.

Good for you that you already have a tux, its a really good investment (and it sounds like you got a very good one). My husband wore his tux six times in the first six months he had it. Once you own one you'll find more places to wear one.

We were originally going to wait until our son was 16yo to buy him a tux, but with them available for good prices on evilBay and his being in an xmas production and going to many dance and concert events- he now has a wool single button, a tailcoat and I just snagged him a cream dinner jacket. He got his tux at age 12-1/2yo! He already outgrew the first tux pants I bought him in early Dec.08, so we just bought him a new pair from Selix. Next is to purchase a black peaked DB tux jacket, and a burgundy tie and cummerbund set.

Bugsy

One Too Many
It has always puzzled me why brides can spend thousands of dollars on dresses they will never wear again while the groom usually rents a suit that could be come in very handy. I'm glad you found your tuxedo. There's nothing like wearing one's own clothing. AND Congratulations to you all.

hargist

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean about the bride and bridesmaids spending tons of dough on their dresses. It puzzles me too why it's so expensive.

Luckily, my fiancee is a designer and is not only designing and making her wedding dress, but the bridesmaids dresses too. That's saving everyone a lot of cash.

hargist

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
Another idea- My hubby bought his wool tux for our wedding. He also bought a tailcoat separately. He wore white tie and tails for the wedding, and all the groomsmen rented wearing single button tux with a vest that matched the bridesmaids and the flower girl.

Good for you that you already have a tux, its a really good investment (and it sounds like you got a very good one), my hubby wore his tux six times in less than six months. Once you own one you'll find more places to wear one.

We were originally going to wait until our son was 16yo to buy him a tux, but with them available for good prices on evilBay and his being in an xmas production and going to many dance and concert events- he now has a wool single button, a tailcoat and I just snagged him a cream dinner jacket. He got his tux at age 12-1/2yo! He already outgrew the first tux pants I bought him in early Dec.08, so we just bought him a new pair from Selix. Next is to purchase a black peaked DB tux jacket, and a burgundy tie and cummerbund set.

Wow, I was lucky to get a new pair of Toughskins from my mom when I was a kid! She would just iron on a patch when they got a hole in them.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Yes, Mens Wearhouse has an excellent selection of classic evening and formalwear for rent, but get in and sized early. They order from outside of the store.
I got a classic white and tails rig from them a few years back.

I recall reading the elements of a classic tuxedo once- Hand-tied black bowtie, arrow collared shirt (not wing collared) with either a plain front or vertical pleats, black or silver studs and cufflinks, a hand-tied black cumberbund with the pleats up or black low-cut vest (vest was prefered to modern clip-on cumberbunds) plain front slacks with satin piping down the outer seam, a single breasted black coat, peaked or shawl collar with one button and european venting (on the sides), or no vents at all, a white handerchief in the breast pocket, opera pumps or leather slippers, preferably highly shined leather, not patent leather, or velvet. Spats were allowed only if oxford black shoes were worn and the spats were likewise black. Oxfords and spats were considered inferior to pumps and slippers and generally not recommended. A silver watchchain was allowed on the vest.

The other thing that struck me was that the article said Midnight blue was a truer black than dye black, at least to the eye, and should be sought after.

The other thing I found interesting was folding and tying a cumberbund yourself, with the fringed tails hanging out on the side. I liked the idea, though I'm a vest man.

anon`

One Too Many
Vented jacket? Gross!

Otherwise, pretty spot-on. There's nothing wrong with proper patent leather, though: it's just as correct as calfskin, velvet or even (God forbid!) suede. And I do certainly prefer pleats for a black-tie ensemble, but that's honestly a personal preference, IMNSHO.

Midnight blue is not blacker than black, however. What it is, is richer than black under many (most?) artificial lights. This doesn't seem to be a universal truth, and though I've never tested this, I suspect that it might be a knock on certain fluorescent bulbs, whose phosphor coating can filter out odd bits of the visible spectrum and make colours appear something other than true. Regardless, under certain (artificial) lighting conditions, black can often take on a sort of sickly grey-green hue. Sometimes not, however. If one does elect to wear a tuxedo of midnight blue, one is well advised to make sure the lapels are still faced in black.

And grosgrain-faced lapels == wonderful, if you can find such a jacket =)

Orsini

Familiar Face
There is nothing wrong with purchasing your own evening semi-formal/black tie rig for your wedding. It is the big day and your bride-to-be, as the others have noted, is going to spend a lot for an outfit that will be worn once and handed down to your daughter. No reason why your outfit cannot be handed down to your son.

On the other hand, if you insist on having a logical justification, if there is any chance you will need a back-tie rig four times a year or more, then purchasing becomes a rational proposition. The cost of renting the ill-fitting monstrosity available from most shops adds up quickly.

Now that that is settled, I do not recommend the miserable notch lapel, the various rationalizations not withstanding. Is is the least elegant of the three alternatives and there is no good reason for getting one.

Manton's article about wedding attire is very good, although some of the fine illustrations seem to have gone away, (http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutorials/AntongiavanniWEDDINGATTIRE.htm) and this website is a very good reference (http://www.blacktieguide.com/).

Go with something classic (no senior prom hallucinations), and make sure the self-tied bow tie is black, and that the cummerbund is not -- matching them is an excellent way to look like (senior) staff. Single button, ventless much preferred -- no center vent, and turndown collar (thank you, DOW) is fine. Patent opera pumps are the best, but if those bows give you the creeps, patent plaintoe oxfords (Copley-type) are OK (sniff!). Just make sure, no captoe!

Midnight blue, one of many innovations in gentlemen's wardrobe for which we have the DOW to thank, is the color for evening clothes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_blueclothes), as genuine black tends to take on a nasty green cast under artificial light.

And here is the killer -- I do not recommend that you match or coordinate any color element in your outfit to that of the bride or maids. To do so is considered to be the act of a.....well, let's just say: don't do it!

Using a purchased tux 3 to 4 times will pay for the tux over renting and they really don't need to be all with in a year's time. A tux depending on style can often be used for a a special evening out with your new bride or for better parties at Christmas and New Years. Also if you host a party sometimes it is a good choice, it helps your to be the Master of Ceremonies.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
You know, now that you guys mention it, I haven't seen many vented jackets in classic formalwear, despite what I read.

BTW, let me point out that it was a magazine from the eighties, might have been GQ. Most of what it said seems consistant with current opinion, but it looks like it dropped the ball on a few issues - or more likely, my memory of the article is incorrect.

The reason I mentioned it was the midnight blue cloth choice, the self-tied cumberbund and the insistance on turndown shirt collars with self-tied bowties. These options can be hard to locate when going rental. Some are just not available.

Orsini, the cumberbund is not black? I have never heard such a thing. I was always under the impression that formalwear arose as a way of making all the men both elegant and (most importantly) uniform, so that the ladies could take the spotlight visually. Therefore, black and white was the only choice for a gentleman.
What colors should the cumberbund be?
More importantly, has anyone ever learned to fold and tie on a real cumberbund?

anon`

One Too Many
Spatterdash said:
The reason I mentioned it was the midnight blue cloth choice, the self-tied cumberbund and the insistance on turndown shirt collars with self-tied bowties. These options can be hard to locate when going rental. Some are just not available.

Orsini, the cumberbund is not black? I have never heard such a thing. I was always under the impression that formalwear arose as a way of making all the men both elegant and (most importantly) uniform, so that the ladies could take the spotlight visually. Therefore, black and white was the only choice for a gentleman.
What colors should the cumberbund be?
More importantly, has anyone ever learned to fold and tie on a real cumberbund?
There's nothing wrong with a good, stiff wing collar! In fact, the boiled-front, to-attach tunic and collar of "classic" evening wear (white tie, by modern standards) was the original shirt compliment of a black tie ensemble. But those are difficult to find (at least in the US--there appears to be a small but relatively thriving niche for them in the UK) and those modern, self-wing-collar abominations just horrid. A turndown is a very nice alternative, however--my sole formal shirt, to date, is such a model.

As for cummerbund colours, it was generally considered acceptable--particularly so in warm weather where one might wear a white jacket, and I believe this was more common in the post-War period--to wear a cummerbund of a very deep, rich colour (burgundy, plum, bottle green). What is never acceptable is to alter the colour of the bow tie. That is black, and really shouldn't match the waistcoat or cummerbund; otherwise it screams rental, which defeats the whole purpose.
If you do opt for a non-black cummerbund, do please wear a white pocket square. Tuxedos really cannot handle more than one item that isn't black or white.

And for the record, I've never seen a cummerbund that was not pre-folded. I'd began to question their very existence!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points