Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedos and Spectators?

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I'm getting hitched this May and I am leaning toward wearing a tuxedo with a white dinner jacket and black slacks. I was also thinking about picking up a pair of Allen Edmonds black and white spectator shoes to wear. I'm not sure if this is a fashion faux pas or not so I thought I'd check with the experts.
I have seen the tuxedo shops have the cheesy patent leather shoes that are white with black cap toes and backs however. I just haven't seen spectators worn with a white jacket before. Any thoughts?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Let me Spectate on that question

I believe that the spectators are a "less casual" shoe..so you shouldn't wear it with the tux, as that is the top formal wear.

Spectators will go great with your dockers and summer shirt and straw hat, as well as the business suit and fedora.

For a formal event, esp. a wedding, then solid color shoes are my choice.

Now...if you had a "theme wedding" and everyone wore them (groom and ushers) and the bridesmaids had say 1940's period dresses...it might work.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
My mistake, old_hat. But seeing as it was ALMOST a contradiction...haha. Just kidding around.
Well since we're on the topic of Fred Astaire, maybe a pair of soft-toe shoes would seem more apt with the tails? Or shall we just save that for the reception (and after a few drinks,at that)?

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Okay, thanks for the info fellas but we're getting a little off track! :)
Maybe I should be more specific. The wedding has a 1930s-1940s theme (it's aboard the Queen Mary after all!) The wedding party is going to be dressed for the period and the guests are encouraged to do the same. The groomsman and myself are going to be in tuxedos with white dinner jackets. Think Bogie from Casablanca:
casablanca35.jpg

I was thinking of wearing Black and White spectator shoes but I wasn't sure if this would be appropriate or not. So far Andykev says no. Where are Matt Deckard and Wild Root when I need them?
PBG

up196

A-List Customer
My opinion

I have to agree with Andykev. The spectator is more of a casual shoe; even the name to me suggests something worn to observe a sporting event, which, of course, some weddings can turn out to be. Anyway, since I think they would distract from the overall formal look, allow me to offer a compromise idea. Wear solid color shoes for the formal ceremony, then choose a "going away on the honeymoon" suit with which spectators can be worn. Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS . . . Tom

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Spectators with black tie or white tie, no, no, a thousand times, no! They're casual or business 'sporting' wear at best...remember their origin, from outdoor spring / summer sporting events(polo, anyone?) at which the spectating areas were on grass, and while it was practice to wear white shoes, you wanted an off-white color on the toes and heels to hide grass stains, hence the cap-toe and wingtip 'spectator' shoe. Furthermore, they're seasonal...only between Labor and Memorial Day!

Now, spats, on the other hand...that's a different matter. White tie, certainly, especially with a silver-headed walking stick, silk scarf and top hat. Not sure if spats are acceptable black-tie wear, though.

Can't go wrong with a sturdy set of cap-toe oxfords spit-shined to a mirror finish, and they'll be far less expensive than a pair of spectators.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Just an additional note on slacks, the slacks for "white tie" are different from slacks for "black tie". White tie slacks have two stripes on the leg, whereas black tie slacks only have one.

As for the shoes, Spectators are a casual shoe. You are wearing formal clothing. You shouldn't mix them.

Mike

Buick Mackane

New in Town
I just bought my first Spectaor shoes the other day. Now I know Spectators are a casual shoe and not for full dress. I also know not to wear them in the winter. But...what socks go with them? Sure, black socks with the Black/White scheme is good. But anything else? Argyle socks, perhaps? :)

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Buick,
The thing to remember when selecting socks for any outfit is that matching socks to shoes is not correct. Socks should be selected to compliment the pants/trousers you are wearing. They should be used as a continuation of the pant so the eye continues down the leg and is brought to the shoe.
There is another option as well. Socks can be used as a single item, meant not to compliment the shoe or pant. Instead it is meant to be a focal point itself and draw the eye to the ankle by use of color or design.
My personal preference is to match the sock to the pant and have it be a continuation of the pant to draw the eye down the leg to the shoes.

Mike

Buick Mackane

New in Town
I do remember now about hearing that socks are to match the pants rather than the shoes. Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to actually wearing these things one day. I've always thought they were neat shoes ever since I was a young boy. Can't wait for spring! So those argyles might work after all? Interesting.

PrettyBigGuy, all the best to you with your wedding. I wish you both many years of happiness together.

You know, it's funny. Kids think it's odd that I wear a suit and a fedora and French-cuff shirts. I think it's odd that they wear jeans to their knees, have body tattoos, piercings and wear ball caps when they eat. I think my Grandfather would smile at me today and say, "You know, you look just like me when I was your age." So who is really the one dressed oddly today? :cool:

If Grandma would smile, you're on the right track. :)

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hi Ya Fellas, I am going to yet another prom, lol, maybe my last, good lord, been to a few in my day. Anyhoo, I am wearing one of my sets of vintage tails. I love my B&W wingtips, but I feel they are wrong for the tails, should I go with them or the plain black??? HURRY PROM IS TODAY, yeah I know I am 20 and going to a prom...but I have a lovely lady to go with so, I am happy...

Wild Root

Gone Home
White tie slacks have two stripes on the leg, whereas black tie slacks only have one.

Umm, not true and I'll tell you why.

As most of you know, I have a set of tails from 1948 that I'm dieing to wear soon. Any way, the pants have one stripe down the outer seem made of the same fabric as the lapels. Tails were for white tie evening wear. I have seen black tie worn with tails, but I have seen Fred Astaire wear white tie with his tails and from what I see it's only one stripe. I have seen tuxedos from the 20's and early 30's that have two stripes. I think it's more of a style of the time rather then what's propper to wear with the tie.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm just telling you what I have seen and in all due respect, I don't think it matters what formal tie is worn with the pants to a tux or set of tails.

All the best,

Root.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
No Spectators Allowed. . .

Follow Bogie's lead: plain black shoes with formal wear. No perforations, medallions or decorations. Wear plain black shoes with a good shine.
Patent leather can be appropriate with tails, but the patent leather shoes I see today are pretty hideous. The old Navy issue Corofam lace ups might work, but the the best dressers of the Golden Era generally went for understatement when it came time to don formal wear. so I would stick with black, plain-toed polished leather shoes.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If I might offer an opinion, I say, why not indulge in a little bit of sartorial panache on your big day? Surely no one is going to tell you it is wrong. In this day of dressed down everything, wearing shoes more formal than Tevas or flip-flops qualify as dress shoes. Though, personally I have a pair of vintage-style Spiga black patent leather shoes to wear with my tux, I think a pair of harlequin Spectators with a tux could be flamboyant and festive and, if worn with confidence, stylish. Though, beware, you are treading in the footsteps of Ted Dansen, the only man who I have seen sporting this style. Rent the movie "Cousins" and you will see him decked out in a white jacket (I believe -though certainly a tux) and a pair of spectators. In any case, Congratulations and enjoy your big day!

Wild Root

Gone Home
White jacket and tux pants is not a tux for say. It is called "Dinner Clothes". The white coat is known as a dinner jacket and, whith a pare of black formal wool tux pants and a black bowtie it is called dinner clothes. A tux is a single or double breasted black wool suit with satin or silk lapels and a matching stripe of the same satin or silk down the outer seem of the pant.

Cheers,

Root.

PS. As a side note, if you wanted to wear the propper outfit as a groom, you would wear a black cuttaway, black and gray striped pants, gray double breasted vest, and gray or white spats over the shoes. Oh, and a Top Hat as welll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21