Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed taking over today's fashion: old news?

JeffOYB

Vendor
I've been mostly away from the forum lately, but had to give the link to this recent NYT article. Did you see it? ...The classic takeover in fashion. So is it a done deal, old news?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/fashion/12CODES.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

Heck, the "Tweed Rides" bicycle scene has boomed in the past year as well. I thought it was growing/healthy before then so who knows what it's like now. I don't get out much.

Here's a link to LA's Tweed Ride coming up on 11/22 (I think): http://www.cicle.org/cicle_content/pivot/entry.php?id=549&trumbaEmbed=view=event&eventid=86332374

I do know that once the air gets chilly I wear wool tweed daily until the world gets all humid and green again. (I hardly ever wear it in the summer.)

Darn it, it looks and works beautifully: warm yet comfy; stays clean; resists odor. It's my only outdoor work and sportswear type of garment. I xc ski daily in wool. Nothing else comes close!

So, is the Forum booming lately? Are related shops selling like gangbusters?

I sell vintage rucks and repurposed/modified mil-sup-based bike luggage and have seen a steady ramp up over the past year or two. Not too big, yet getting close to problematic--already interfering with my main indie outdoor media work.

Well, just saying Hi and checking in. --JP

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Not in my little cranny of the universe...

Where I live, most people would choose death by lethal injection before dressing nicely for any occasion...you should see what people wear to the local WalMart... and speaking of odor...let's not even start on uh, err "relaxed" personal hygiene standards.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I saw this article this morning and chuckled: Whatever "1890s revivalwear" people are allegedly paying thousands of dollars for in NYC fashion circles has nothing to do with real trends among average folks. Like most "high fashion" trends that get so much attention, it's just another form of theatrical entertainment for people with too much money and time...

Maybe in a year or two some of these ideas will trickle down to the mass market - in a severly watered-down manner - but come on, it still won't make much of a dent in the entrenched hoodie-and-flipflop multitudes!

JeffOYB

Vendor
By "tweed taking over" I'm going over, the top, that is.

I just mean that the gung-ho vintage-inspiration looks to be a trend among people who care. That's still a lot of people.

Like, argyle seems to be back for the general youth market, with wool coming along for the ride some of the time. That's a vintage/classic influence on pop that's here, now. It's in Target, maybe even WalMart. But of course the masses won't leave their sweats. Not our concern, right?

Although...I'm becoming more interested in certain aspects of hunting type *camo*... Yikes!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its Autumn.

All of these fabrics are autumnal fabrics.

Thus they come back in some way shape or form just about every single year, coincidentally in Autumn.

Autumn fashion always seems more 'classic' then spring or summer...more coverage, more heavyweight fabrics.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Yeah, I saw this article this morning and chuckled: Whatever "1890s revivalwear" people are allegedly paying thousands of dollars for in NYC fashion circles has nothing to do with real trends among average folks...it's just another form of theatrical entertainment for people with too much money and time...

What? Like Golden Age styles, you mean... ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
But crazies like us aren't claiming that we're bringing the latest wonderful trend to the Dedicated Followers of Fashion. We're just following our own demented path!

And -these- folks probably arn't doing that either......like all things...the media is doing it FOR them......

If someone wanted to interview you about your crazy group of odd dressers.....you would probably say yes....if just to let other oddballs know you are out there...

then next thing you know...you are a -trend-

JeffOYB

Vendor
"Why, I was doing it back when..." : )

So many of my hobbies leave me in the pop-culture dust...

...And it's not just colors and fabrics, which, sure, come around each autumn...it's knickers, plus-4's, high collars, capes, tall tucked-in boots, beaver hats... It's probably been a century (?) since they were seen as often.

Not just for insiders. The me-too's are here!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
But crazies like us aren't claiming that we're bringing the latest wonderful trend to the Dedicated Followers of Fashion. We're just following our own demented path!

But it's journalistic hype. You can't take it seriously. What do the people interested in this sort of thing call it?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
So wait....what you are saying is essentially that

'they must be all jumping on some bandwagon.....and so are just more sheep to the fashion trends'....

How do we know that? They could very well have had this same look for ages now....and accept new folks who 'find' the aesthetic...

Just like -we- have been doing this look for ages now...but we don't ostracize someone who just now 'finds' vintage....

Just like there have been tv shows and articles about 'golden era' vintage folks.....and it cycles into fashion every few years...oh wait....maybe we -all- just follow what the giant conspiracy puppet master tells us... ;)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yup, Miss N, you're on the money.

We should be shooting down the journo-hype, not censuring people's interests.

Hey, if a load of people want to dress up like old guys, who are we to shout them down for it? I like it.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
To quote the ending of the NY Times article:

It is worth noting, too, how well 19th-century elements fit into the modern wardrobe, especially since many of them — peacoats, vests, fedoras — had a revival or two in the 20th century. And as formal or old-fashioned as some of the attire may seem, most of it goes surprisingly well with the 19th century’s most enduring fashion legacy, a special kind of trousers invented in California by a man named Levi Strauss.

Maybe you’ve heard of them?

That says it well. With or without jeans, it's always good to see these garments,that most of us Loungers appreciate, given a new lease on life for the future. :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like it..
icon14.gif

From YSL to Chloe they looked almost beyond vintage styled clothing, to the poetic nostalgia of bygone eras, stealing turn-of-the-century silhouettes and the delicate details of Victorian design. The mood created was romantic, enchanting, often innocent and sometimes haunting.

victorian_1.jpg
victorian_2.jpg
victorian_4.jpg

Billowing trench coats and ponchos in fall’s earth tones were paired with skinny jeans, high-collared Victorian blouses and equestrian boots.

monarchy-fall-2009-2.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it boils down to we have 'casualized' everything, that people are looking for excuses to dress up. Dressing up is now a spectacle is some areas of the country.

Its really bucking the system ;)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ