Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Aero questions

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Looking at a used Aero jacket locally.

Two questions:

How tough is it to have the lining replaced?

Is the cowhide version as long lasting as the horsehide version? I don't ride a motorcycle, so horsehide may not be needed for me. I've been looking at horsehide because I figured it would wear like iron.

Thanks in advance.

Navin323i

Practically Family
57plymouth said:
Looking at a used Aero jacket locally.

Two questions:

How tough is it to have the lining replaced?

Is the cowhide version as long lasting as the horsehide version? I don't ride a motorcycle, so horsehide may not be needed for me. I've been looking at horsehide because I figured it would wear like iron.

Thanks in advance.

I had the lining on my vintage 50s Irvin Foster leather jacket replaced... the only tough part potentially would be finding a good place to actually do the work. Fortunately there are a couple of places in my area that are good so I took it to one of those places and they did a great job. If you buy an Aero leather jacket then you could potentially have Aero replace the lining as another option though I'd assume it would be costlier when factoring in shipping the jacket to Scotland and the return shipping and possible customs fees if any.

Horsehide isn't only for motorcycle riders (by that I mean not riding a motorcycle should not be a factor in not purchasing a horsehide jacket). In the early days all leather jackets were initially made of horsehide until other, less costlier leather options popped up (steer, cow, etc.). I prefer the toughness of horsehide and particularly the chrome tanned front quarter horsehide that Aero uses because it is more water resistant than compared to other hides like cowhide, plus horsehide has such a unique scent to it... I love my horsehide Aero NYPD jacket. Plus horsehide ages well with nice patinas developing later on.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I just had the lining in my LHB replaced. Cost (excluding postage) was around $165 +/- $10. It didn't take long - probably 6-weeks there and back. BUT, I really wasn't happy with the job they did. The lining in the sleeves and at the back of the coat extended a couple of mm's below the leather. (Do a search for lining replacement and you'll see pictures). My jacket is currently on the way back to Scotland to have the problems corrected, which they are doing at no cost.

When they do replace a lining they use the same holes from the original lining so you can't tell it's been re-lined. You really can't ask for any more than that.

Cow hide vs. FQHH - can't help you there, but I don't ride a motorcycle either and I didn't even think twice about ordering FQHH. It's heavy and it takes time to break in but it's worth the time and effort. I guess I ask myself why not FQHH?

Dav

One Too Many
I think both steerhide and horsehide would be equally long lasting in normal everyday use, the durability factor mainly comes in when sliding down the tarmac,ie thinner horse takes the same time to wear through as a thicker steer.
I own a FQHH aero but I do like the look of their heavy steerhide so my next order will be of that, both of which I think will outlast me.
As for the relining I would contact aero first, but I am in the UK.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Dav said:
... thinner horse takes the same time to wear through as a thicker steer.

Anyone care to explain why? I know that it is a chemical biology issue but I'd like someone to explain it to me in layman terms.

Dav

One Too Many
Papa M said:
Anyone care to explain why? I know that it is a chemical biology issue but I'd like someone to explain it to me in layman terms.

Can't help you there, I just know Kangeroo hide is supposed to be even more abrasion resistant

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
And the technical explanation is because the Kangaroo is supposed to jump up and down all his life so the hide has to be able to withstand that.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't worry about the longevity of cowhide vs. horsehide; both will long outlast you, and probably your children as well, if maintained.

Horsehide is generally considered by most to be a tougher and perhaps denser hide than cowhide, thus more abrasion resistant. Fortunately I have never had to street test the theory on either of the hides.

Horse will grain up in a much more striking way than cow--it usually becomes more gnarly in appearance. I imagine there are exceptions to this rule, but it is generally true. After break--in, horse is generally considered by most to have a more relaxed and softer drape on the body.

Whichever Aero hide you go with, you will be happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn