Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

two jackets/blazers won...

mike

Call Me a Cab
After attending a disappointing & uneventful Santa Monica Vintage Clothing Expo this weekend I financially let loose a barrage of fever pitched bidding in the last day or two culminating in these two sports jackets... drum roll please...
click me

click me too

Ohhhhh-pinions?! :D :p
Any thoughts on any aspects of them that might pin down more specifically inception dates of these down right gems o'jackets!?

slicedbread

A-List Customer
First one definitely does not look 50's...perhaps 60's or 70's...it's overall styling, as well as the lining style and the label point to this...i think its nice tho = )

i have no experience with the second type of jacket, but it looks very nifty!

mike

Call Me a Cab
slicedbread said:
First one definitely does not look 50's...perhaps 60's or 70's...it's overall styling, as well as the lining style and the label point to this...i think its nice tho = )

i have no experience with the second type of jacket, but it looks very nifty!

really?! buying 70's by mistake has always been one of my worst fears! baaah I wouldn't be fooled if I it was in front of me I suppose... I guess that back vent should have been a blaring warning sign :(

GBR

One of the Regulars
A brave man to wear the second one!

First is fine, whatever vintage it actually is.

neyus

New in Town
The first jacket is defnitely 70s judging from the lapel width and back vent. if you want you can sew the vent shut and get the lapels cut down in the width. As the lapel doesnt have a buttonhole in the lapel you can cut it down.

Jovan

Suspended
I think the lapels look fine as they are, and it's probably more trouble/money than it's worth. Just my opinion. Now, speaking about lapel holes, one added to the left would be a useful, simple-to-do addition, especially if any of your friends can sew. A flower can make even a utilitarian looking coat like that a little more formal when needed, especially since you can't use a pocket square in that type of breast pocket.

Now, a back vent doesn't necessarily make something '70s. They do come in and out of fashion though, which is why they were a less common sight in the '30s through '50s, but still one that existed nonetheless. I think they were around more in the '20s before the stock market crash, hence the need for more simple clothes and thus no vents becoming the norm, but I'm not completely sure on that. Look through any catalogues from those periods and you'll see options in the MTM sections for it, along with the belt backs and bi-swings.

Sorry, rambled on. Continue as you all were! -_-

mike

Call Me a Cab
GBR said:
A brave man to wear the second one!

First is fine, whatever vintage it actually is.

You think? I felt the plaid one would be great to go hiking in! Not an every day jacket but good out in the country in a dressed down sort of way... needs to be pulled off in specific way... one sleeve at a time :p

cookie

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
After attending a disappointing & uneventful Santa Monica Vintage Clothing Expo this weekend I financially let loose a barrage of fever pitched bidding in the last day or two culminating in these two sports jackets... drum roll please...
click me

click me too

Ohhhhh-pinions?! :D :p
Any thoughts on any aspects of them that might pin down more specifically inception dates of these down right gems o'jackets!?

awesome plaid jacket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112