Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two movie hats I've always liked

The Ringneck

New in Town
I'm a hat novice so excuse any errors I may make below. Anyhow I wanted to post two movie hats I've always thought were pretty slick, but who most people don't talk about.

The first is Ernest Borgnine in "The Wild Bunch". I had always thought this was his WWI campaign hat, from the bank robbery scene, heavily modified. However I've since found out it's more of a Span-Am War campaign hat style. Either way it's actually something someone might have been wearing at the time the movie is set, something you can't say about most Westerns.

250_borgnine_wild-bunch_271.jpg

This next is Christopher Walken in "Heaven's Gate". I don't think this is QUITE the same hat he wore in the movie, I remember it's brim being rolled just a little more and being kind of wrinkled on the rolled part---good and weather beaten. Also, in the movie, the crown seems to have a more agressive slant, but that could just be the way he's turned in this photo too.

walken_nathan8.jpg

Reminds me of the hat my great uncle Tommy wore as Sheriff of Perry Co. Indiana before WWII (when the sheriff's had no uniforms and it was just him and a deputy).

As a side note--I don't think Heaven's Gate is a horrible movie. I think because it was so over budget and failed to recoup the losses that people assume it was no good to watch.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Agree with you about Heaven's Gate. Of course it isn't a masterpiece, but I like it, too - but it's clear that it would never pay itself.

Maybe the trouble was the studio wanting to make something "special" and "important". Put a lot of money in it and just got a movie.

The Ringneck

New in Town
I read a story that the director realized the streets on a town set they built were six feet two narrow. The man in charge said, lets knock down one side, widen the road, and then rebuild the facades. Cimino said no and insisted both sides be widened by 3 feet.

But my big theory is that when the crowds didn't go, and Hollywood lost so much(and so highly publicized) that the public interpreted that as no body wanted to see it (ratehr than it just plain cost to much to make a profit)and it became tainted. That and the late 70's/early 80's weren't big times for Westerns anyhow.

BradLaGrange

martinsantos

Practically Family
Some films make their luxuries the "stars" of themselves... Just forgeting that there are so many other factors about be a film "good" ou "bad". A big mistake. "Cleopatra" with Liz Taylor, I think, happened the same. It's not a bad movie - but it wasn't a marvelous one, either.

DRB

One Too Many
I am currently engaged in watching the 3rd Series of Deadwood. It is a movie about a gold mining camp. If you watch the entire 3 series, you will notice the town starts small and then grows. Lots of excitement, violence. Wild Bill Hickcock was shot there. Best thing about the show to me though is that EVERYONE has a hat on. Highly recommended to watch when the kids are asleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo