Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Tone Leather Jackets, Vintage Original, and Reproduction

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Does any one have examples of this style of jacket, who made them, and who makes them today?

b5baf6c967df26b0ba9c4378db9f237a.jpg

il_642xN.1100238990_hnoo.jpg

il_642xN.1151360225_9cx4.jpg

il_642xN.1146831549_9i08.jpg

il_642xN.1300355205_q2yx.jpg

il_642xN.1253112132_7tsp.jpg

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
Lord have mercy, do I love that last one! Throw it over a Rockmount shirt and a pair of Levi's waist overalls, with Frye stompers on my dogs and a Carlsbad crease Stetson on my noggin, and pardon me, partner, I'm off to cut the rug with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight here, kind stranger. You've never heard of Frye cowboy boots, yet you tell me that I have to do better than that in MY imaginary FUN scenario. What about Bob Wills?

Oh, yes sir I've heard of Frye boots and if a man wants a pair of campus (what does that mean?), harness or pseudo cowboy boots, I guess Frye would be as good a place to start as any but I doubt Mr Wills ever heard of them or would have bought them if he had.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
Oh, yes sir I've heard of Frye boots and if a man wants a pair campus (what does that mean?), harness or pseudo cowboy boots, I guess Frye would be as good a place to start as any but I doubt Mr Wiils ever heard of them or would have bought them if he had.
View attachment 140323
I'm glad to know that we share an appreciation of the King of Western Swing. Now, since you speak with confidence, and possibly with authority, tell me: what, in your opinion, would've been wrong with a pair of Frye boots made between 1935 and 1950, the period in which my scenario took place?

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

I'm glad to know that we share an appreciation of the King of Western Swing. Now, since you speak with confidence, and possibly with authority, tell me: what, in your opinion, would've been wrong with a pair of Frye boots made between 1935 and 1950, the period in which my scenario took place?

Wrong? Why nothing would have been wrong with a pair of Frye's if that's all one had access to or knew about. I really haven't thought of Frye boots since my time in HS and college unless they come up here in conversation. Never thought of them being produced during that time. As a man from TX who knew a lot about western dress and had access to any number of bootmakers within that state, along with the fine boots offered at that time by the big three, why buy off the rack when he could buy off the bench. During his time there were custom makers with storefront operations where one could walk in and buy a pair of boots such as he and his band mates are wearing in the pics. Dixon and Olsen-Stelzer boots come to mind and there were others along with a number of smaller makers that had store front operations offering off the rack boots.

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
Wrong? Why nothing would have been wrong with a pair of Frye's if that's all one had access to or knew about. I really haven't thought of Frye boots since my time in HS and college unless they come up here in conversation. Never thought of them being produced during that time. As a man from TX who knew a lot about western dress and had access to any number of bootmakers within that state, along with the fine boots offered at that time by the big three, why buy off the rack when he could buy off the bench. During his time there were custom makers with storefront operations where one could walk in and buy a pair of boots such as he and his band mates are wearing in the pics. Dixon and Olsen-Stelzer boots come to mind and there were others along with a number of smaller makers that had store front operations offering off the rack boots.
Mr. Bamaboots, my little make-believe was not about being Bob Wills or a member of his band, but about being a working man, cowboy or not, putting on his Western-style outfit (that jacket would've been his pride) and going out to have a good time back in the day when both music and clothes, and many other things as well, were real (we might just be in agreement on that last part). That's all. Happy trails to you, sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana