Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriter ribbons.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Hello all, not entirely sure where to put this thread.

I just bought a beautiful antique typewriter from a charity shop (no camera or I'd put up pics). There is still some ink left on the ribbon, but do I have to buy new ones, or just add ink to the ribbon? Being raised in the modern era, I have no idea what to do..

Many thanks,
Luke

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Luke:

I'm not aware of any way to add ink to the ribbon, although someone here might have some advice. I am unfortunately old enough to have used these and back then you just replaced the ribbon when type started to get light. The old manual typewriters are truely mechanical marvels.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I also just bought an antique typewriter, and I was able to buy ribbon for it at Office max. I don't know what office supply stores you have over there, but they'll probably have it as well. If not, you could always get it online.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Hey,

I acquired my wife a typewriter, from Freecycle :).
We couldn't find an exact replacement tape but we did find one that was the same width so after taking one of the new cartridges apart and a bit of fiddling I managed to get it working.
She's happy for now but still fancies a typewriter with an italic script. Pretty hard to come by, although I think Eleanor Roosevelt had one.

I digress, so we didn't add ink, we did get it working but it wasn't easy. We were up in Aylesbury (Bucks) at the time and there was a great stationary store in Chesham that helped. But there must be one closer to central London.

If you can tell me some more details perhaps I can be more help?

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Do you know what model your typewriter is? Odds are, you'll be able to find a ribbon of the same width at any business supply store. The spool fitting is another story. If you refuse to buy online, you can get the ribbon of the same width and respool it onto the spool it came with.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
LondonLuke said:
Do you know the name of the shop in Chesham? I have family in that area, so often visit.

JPS Stationers - 7 Market Sq, Chesham, HP5 1HG
They are at the bottom of the high street near the traffic lights/Bucks Examiner office. The front is orange.

As luck would have it, I have today acquired for my wife an italic typewriter. a bit of a coincidence, having had mentioned it above.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I also just bought an antique typewriter, and I was able to buy ribbon for it at Office max. I don't know what office supply stores you have over there, but they'll probably have it as well. If not, you could always get it online.

I'll second that suggestion. I've got my own "antique" typewriters. In fact I've got one of the last mechanical Smith-Corona typewriters ever made - which I bought brand new back in the 1980's. One of these days I'm going to need some new ribbons, too. :)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
B. F. Socaspi said:
Do you know what model your typewriter is? Odds are, you'll be able to find a ribbon of the same width at any business supply store. The spool fitting is another story. If you refuse to buy online, you can get the ribbon of the same width and respool it onto the spool it came with.

Yes that what I did, took a little time but it is a worthwhile exercise.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Yup, adding machine ribbon or any generic half inch ribbon. I Buy them at Office max, and re-spool them onto the original spools. Whatever you do, don't throw out the spools! You can also buy ribbons from www.mytypewriter.com if you don't want your fingers to get all inky, and don't mind waiting.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
In the 70s and early 80s, my grandfather used to refresh the ink in the shop typewriter by spraying it with WD 40. I have yet to try this method with any of my antique typewriters, but I might experiment now that I have a spray can with a narrow nozzle.

ThesFlishThngs said:
In the 70s and early 80s, my grandfather used to refresh the ink in the shop typewriter by spraying it with WD 40. I have yet to try this method with any of my antique typewriters, but I might experiment now that I have a spray can with a narrow nozzle.

Fair warning - the smell of WD40 really never goes away, and you'll be living with it for a long time. Also if you choose to go this route, I would not recommend spraying the ribbon whilst *in* the typewriter (it seems obvious, but...)

I am happy with the replacement ribbon I got from mytypewriter.com although the spools are plastic - I did save the original so I can wind it onto the metal when I get the time. I think the time and effort saved is well worth the fair price they h- old ribbons do get fragile after a lot of use as the keys can be quite hard on the fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana