Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. members here who purchased directly from Aero Scotland...

Navin323i

Practically Family
For any of you U.S. members who ordered their leather jackets directly from Aero Scotland... prior to receiving your jacket did you have to pay any sort of customs fees or duty tax? If so then how much did you pay?

If it helps, my Aero leather jacket will cost me exactly 500 pounds so hopefully if there is a price value cutoff for when customs fees or duty tax is charged then I'm below that cutoff.

Thanks,
Navin

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Hi Navin;
Gee, I would have thought Mark Moye from AeroUSA would come up on the net to field your question. He HAS to have all the answers.
Regards.........coffee

Hey Bro... good point that I forgot to mention... this time around I decided to have the pleasant experience of ordering directly from Will and Amanda in Scotland... last time for my first Aero jacket I ordered thru Mark.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Navin;
Yes I gathered that from your earlier postings; good for you, I believe it's the only way to go, direct to Aero Scotland just like our European brethren.
And I'll wager the delivery time is quicker than with AeroUSA. Best of luck with your second Aero!

Regards, coffee

Navin323i

Practically Family
andy richards said:
Hi Navin,

Have a look on this link. I hope you will find your answer here.
http://hts.usitc.gov/Table 42.xml

Andy

Thanks Andy! Assuming I read this table correctly and assuming it's still the most recent information out there then I don't see anything listed under mens leather coats (heading # 4203.10.40).

If any of you U.S. members were charged any customs fees or import tax do speak up, please. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Navin;
Yes I gathered that from your earlier postings; good for you, I believe it's the only way to go, direct to Aero Scotland just like our European brethren.
And I'll wager the delivery time is quicker than with AeroUSA. Best of luck with your second Aero!

Regards, coffee

Thanks Bro! Actually my experience with Mark was quite good and I got my Aero NYPD jacket in about 11 weeks or so. I'm hoping my 2nd jacket arrives before October 27... that will be the day I celebrate my infant daughter's very first birthday so I'd love to sport the new jacket there but of course if it doesn't then I'll be wearing the NYPD so it's a win-win irregardless. :D

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
Thanks Andy! Assuming I read this table correctly and assuming it's still the most recent information out there then I don't see anything listed under mens leather coats (heading # 4203.10.40).

If any of you U.S. members were charged any customs fees or import tax do speak up, please. :)

Few months ago I was dealing with The Few in NZ.
The jacket that I was looking for cost $ 1650.00.
They quoted me $ 500 more for shipping, insurance and US Customs for a total of $2150.00 to my door.
I considered excessive so I did not ordered.
I hope these help.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Goes both ways actually...

When we - in Europe - buy something from USA we also pays taxes, importfees, customs and what have you.
But ofcourse it all depends on the value written on the customs papers.
I rember a very nice scarf I bought at Petermanns - the taxes and customs were more than the actual price I payed for the scarf.:eek:
So I use it a lot! (the scarf, that is)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Thanks fellas! I got a PM from a member who said that for his multiple jacket orders he's paid somewhere in the $50 to $75 range for all but two of the jackets. It may also depend on the customs clerk processing your shipment and whether that person is in a good mood or not that day. :)

I'm assuming Aero would need to notate the customer's phone number on either the mailing label or the customs papers otherwise how would Customs know how to contact you?

Jedburgh

New in Town
I have ordered and received two jackets from Aero and I was not charged duty on either. The most recent was December 2009. It sounds like it is indeed the luck of the draw.

Cheers,
Jed

juan

New in Town
Navin323i said:
I'm assuming Aero would need to notate the customer's phone number on either the mailing label or the customs papers otherwise how would Customs know how to contact you?
I am assuming they would just mail you a notice or a bill.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
No customs fee on my Aero Anniversary last year. A few years back I did have to pay customs on a Wested. I received a bill/invoice a couple of weeks after the jacket arrived.

Mac

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I ordered something from Iron Heart UK and Giles stated that they'd never been tagged for anything going to the states before. He said if they did, he'd reimburse the amount. That tells me that it is indeed "luck of the draw" as to whether you'll have to pay the duty or not. I think that if you do, the charge will come after the item by mail.

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
Navin323i said:
How would Customs know how to contact you?

When we order non-Eurozone goods from the UK, this is what is supposed to happen...

1. Seller notes the appropriate commercial value and package contents on the customs form

2. Item arrives in Customs and is either passed through with no charge or examined and marked "Charge Due, £x.xx"

3. The postal carrier notes the "Charge Due" sticker and holds the item (usually at your local delivery office). They then send the addressee a letter saying "Sender Soandso has mailed you something and there is a Customs charge of £x.xx plus tax of £y.yy plus a postal carrier charge of £z.zz - cough up within x days or we send it back to them."

4. You pay the charge, either by phone, interwebs or person and the item is marked "Charge Paid" and released for delivery (or you can collect).

Over here in the UK, we have to pay the Customs Duty (if any), the VAT and an £8 handling fee for the Royal Mail/Parcelforce to process this for you. On small items, it can add up to almost more than the item was worth in the first place.

Customs are very overworked and often they let stuff through without charges. I suspect that even though they are supposed to check everything to collect the maximum amount of revenue, to be honest they look for the high value items as well as things that may be mislabelled (copies of computer software labelled as "family photos" for example). They will have a quota to reach and although you should expect your item to be charged and budget accordingly, you may be lucky. Celebrate by spending the saved fees on something nice!

SGB

One of the Regulars
Customs duty in the US

The Customs bill will be attached to the package and USPS will collect the fee when they deliver the package to your door, they will accept a check. If USPS forgets to collect the fee then you will be sent a bill from US Customs. Sometimes the Customs agent will not charge you, I have only had this happen once in over 25 jacket deliveries from Aero.

SGB

wanz

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
Thanks fellas! I got a PM from a member who said that for his multiple jacket orders he's paid somewhere in the $50 to $75 range for all but two of the jackets. It may also depend on the customs clerk processing your shipment and whether that person is in a good mood or not that day. :)

Hi Navin,

I received my Aero Highwayman about a month ago and paid $60 in customs fees. It was delivered COD by UPS. Hope this helps.

cheers
nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana