Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Wings

dfrancis

New in Town
I have noticed that there's not a lot of buzz about this particular vendor. I have gotten to know the owner Sgt Hack over the past five years through email. I retired from the Navy, so we got to exchanging small talk about jackets.

He is a colorful character, to be sure. I live in Southern CA. Gibson and Barnes are a stone's throw away. My wife and I just drove by there the other day on our way to see Dwight Yoakam. But when I needed to replace my G-1 I chose USW. I'm not dissappointed either.

I've read that they're too heavy, and I've read that they're too light, and I've read that the customer service is lousy. I always got a prompt and personal response to my emails from Hack himself. The jacket I have is par with my old Brill Bros, and whatever that first jacket was that I had when I came in.

I think the USW is good to go. I've have looked over about 10,000 G-1s in my 24 year career and I can't fault this jacket. The sleeves are cut a tad roomier than you'd find in an issue G-1, but the weight, leather grain, dye, stitch, buttons, lining, webbing, zipper, etc., are up to par. I like the sleeves. Even when my Brill was a perfect fit the sleeves were a little slim.

The zipper is actually a little more heavy duty. The USN perforation is a little high on the wind flap, that's the only thing that I could say is "off" but there are wide variations between the vendors. Some had pointy collars, some wide collars, some wool, some synthetic. I've seen them all.

I know that USW went through a flood and relocation, I don't know what the quality was like before then, but I would recommend this jacket at its price to anyone who is used to issue G-1s as an authentic replacement.

I also have a G&B 422A, with a liner Blood Chit and the whole nine yards. Love that jacket, but it's not superior to the USW. It simply isn't. So there it is, I've said my peace on USW.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've bought nylon Alpha and Avirex jackets from US Wings, but never any of their leathers. I've always heard that their leather jackets are essentially comparable to those of other current-spec makers, like Cooper, Schott, and The Cockpit (formerly Avirex).

Since this has already been mentioned on the Club Obi-Wan and Vintage Leather Jacket forums, I'll mention it here too:

http://www.uswings.com/clearance.asp#SpecialSale

US Wings has a clearance sale underway on A-2s, G-2s, and Indy Jones jackets in a wide range of sizes and hides for only $149. These are foreign-made versions of their usually US-made jackets, but are claimed to be excellent quality, not irregulars. (Still, I would make a point of asking about things like if the A-2 has a one-piece back before ordering, as clearance items aren't returnable.) These might be good for beater jackets, gifts, or if you're just starting out with leather jackets and you're on a tight budget.

Caveat emptor!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I live near US Wings. In fact this past summer I met Scotrace there to exchange the traveling hat. They carry Schott and some of the older discontinued,(and nicer) Avirex jackets in addition to their own store brand which are also quite nice.
I'd vouch for them, (especially since I get commissions for my nose art from them!) :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Sorry, but I disagree on US Wings. I had one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had with a vendor with them, to the point I will not even consider doing business with them ever again. Worst crusher I've ever seen, and the worst customer service to go along with it. They still owe me the cost of that crappy hat. Nope, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. The real kick in the seat, bag over the head was that I got the lousy service while deployed for Enduring Freedom! Support the troops, my arse.

dfrancis

New in Town
I'm real sorry to hear that. I guess I got lucky. I actually started out on the wrong foot with Hack so I know he has a temper. I can't remember the specifics, it was some stupid misunderstanding.

This is exactly what I was hoping to do is get some discussion going. If the company is shafting people then I need to know that. I'm not supporting anyone who doesn't support their customers. That's for sure.

The jacket I got is fine. Sleeves are too long - but that's really my bad I should have gone with a straight 46, thing is I'm long waisted. Someday I'll have them tailored back an inch. There's a gal I've seen on a couple sights that does jacket repair stuff that should be able to handle it.

I just took it in today to get nine patches sewn own. Had them made up in leather by some guy in England, through a vintage jacket vendor online. I sold my old high school fraternity jacket to them. Sigma Pi Sigma, Hammond HS - 1969/70 vintage. Anyhow, I wish I could remember because there's some more patches I'd like made.

Guess what just showed up: a 422A, gotta' go check that out.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I will say that I had a friend's jacket delivered to my house. The jacket wass an Indy one and it was not 100% Indy as the pics on the website showed. It had horizontal seams on the elbows. Then the hides didn't match (see pic below). They accepted it back but the new, more accurate jacket that was sent to us had obvious cuts in the leather, almost like a knife had gashed it on the surface.

Here's pics of the difference in leather hide on the first jacket.
Ken3_USWINGS_LAMB2.jpg

Ken6_USWINGS_LAMB2.jpg

Ken2_USWINGS_LAMB2.jpg

dfrancis

New in Town
ITG said:
Then the hides didn't match (see pic below).

When I joined the Navy I had a very expensive (for those days) Repo G-1 (got me in trouble more than once before I earned the right to wear one). It was from Georgetown Leather, Georgetown, Washington D.C.. It too had mixed grain pannels. That didn't really bug me like it might now - and when the jacket was well broken in the effect was even and less distracting to the eye. I'm pretty sure it was really a Brooks Bros with a GTL label. Traded it for a Star or Brill 38L. I couldn't get my arm in that jacket now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider