Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate EASTMAN (ELC) flying kit thread.

patterson

One of the Regulars
I've noticed something that has set-off a warning bell for me; Eastman Leather has begun to rollout new product descriptions for their jackets on the HPA site. They are referring to their jackets as being made with the more generic "leather" than specifying horsehide - specifically on their special editions. If you're expecting - and paying for - horsehide, you should get it. I'd recommend anybody ordering from HPA specifically inquiring about this when placing an order.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Another thing to keep in mind is the cut of the newer ELCs are fuller is less of a "military" fit. I just sold a Pearl Harbour Edition in a size 38 that measured 22 1/2" across the chest! :confused: That's more like a 42, and from my understanding they are all getting like that...I'm liking them less and less..

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Eastman and HPA

Gents,
HPA, Eastman's authorized dealer for North America, is first class. And any Eastman A-2 Style Jacket, regardless of type or special edition, can be ordered in the big 3 hides. Horse, Steer, and Goat. Always has and always will....
Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It seems like the fit is more of a problem than the hide to me-
Eastman said a coupoe of years ago that they had "upgraded" their patterns for a more slim, military fit- which is very telling of the fact that they already were not a very authentic fit. But... they still seem to be more suited to the "Bench Pilot"- fat, sloppy fit.

BT.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've seen a number of Eastmans and a few McCoys...

The fit and overall appearance of the McCoys impress me as being a far more accurate representation of the originals. Cost is going to be about the same with either.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've had 2 RMCs jackets- both excellent- and yes, for most folks, thay have the 'correct', vintage kind of fit- it doesn't suit some people though- bigger guys or ones who want a looser, sloppier jacket.
It seems to be becoming a concensus on the jacket forums that RMCs are a better repro in most aspects-

BT.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
1- RMC best in my H.O. materials, fit, workmanship

Aero, Eastman, F.S. and Lost Worlds, et al.- all have their detail or fit problems but are pretty well made- but not as good as they all shout loudly about.
RMC just make stuff- consistently impress- of course there are small departures from an original- but they don't boast or claim- which seems to add to the overall experience.

I have had one A-2 from RMC in NZ and one from RMC via Japan(an older one).
Senicko (2nd contributor in this thread) has also owned my RMC-JP A-2.

This is my take, others will differ- but I have owned at least one of each, bar Flight Suits.

BT.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
New Eastman B-2 Flying Cap

Santa brought it. I know it's just a cap, but I love it. Very well made. And of course the great folks at History Preservation Associates are a dream to work with, even though the first one had to go back for a size change.

Yes, the jacket is lousy. Saving for the real thing.

b-2cap.jpg

shamus

Suspended
I've wanted a B2 for so long!

Fantastic looking cap!

Now you just need a wwii A2 to go with it...

Maybe I should ask YOUR santa next year...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Good! (Whew)

BellyTank said:
Nice shearling Scott.
It arrived here! Good! Thanks Scott.:cheers1:

Remember Carter from 'Hogan's Heroes'.?

Glad it arrived! Finally.

And I had forgotten about Carter! Cool.

Thanks Shamus. It's a great cap! The spare change goes into the A2 fund. Can't just pop for a $700 jacket. Santa would, uh, have a cow.
It helped to almost help St. Nick dial the number for HPA! :)

Hem, Details:
b24.jpg
b2-3.jpg
b2-5.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have the Roughwear redskin version from Eastman. Dynamite cap.
Congrats! You cranium now is well insulated for the chill.

Weston

A-List Customer
Quick! Would an Eastman A-2 42 fit a 40 size jacket person?

Need to know quick...how do the A-2's fit in Eastman's jackets? I'm a size 40. I've heard they run small. Hate to waste my money though if the one I'm gonna buy is too big.

Thanks!

jake431

Practically Family
Generally, Eastmans run one size larger than marked; I take a 44 suitcoat (maybe a 42 these days), and I'd get an Eastman in 42.

-Jake

green papaya

One Too Many
Im a size 42 chest but I prefer to wear one size larger for comfort
like a 44R

I think it's better for the jacket to fit a little loose than too small, because if it's too small you cant wear any layers underneath and feels restrictive when you move

JWG

Familiar Face
You'll find fit is subjective--everyone thinks it has to be a certain way. A good rule of thumb is give the manufacturer your dress shirt size and they'll be able to tell you what size to order.

As to fit, many want a painted on look that from looking at photos of the times doesn't necessarily look totally the way--some were trim, some loose. I saw on ebay a guy selling an A2 and dress tunic from a major in the AAF---his dress tunic was size 38, his A2 a 42.

Start with your suit size and work from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana