Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unbroken movie

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
If I may...
I don't wish to be a pedant, but 'bushido' is fake. It all comes from a book written by Inazo Nitobe. He was born after the samurai class was eliminated by law in 1868/69 IIRC. In fact, he wrote the book whilst he was living in San Francisco in the early 1900's, where it was leapt upon by the English speaking world as some kind of deep insight into the Japanese, whilst the Japanese at the same time, leapt on it as an opportunity to instill (read 'brainwash') 'proper' non-western values into the average Japanese so that they wouldn't mind getting themselves killed to make rich Japanese industrialists richer.

You have no idea how many preconceptions that one thought provoking post has shattered, sir. Now I am determined to hit the libraries and educate myself as to the details supporting that which you have stated. Can you recommend one or two good sources as a starting point?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Its true, I was told The Japanese Dont learn in the history books at school about the sacking of China and how poorly they treated the Chinease during the occupation.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The first Twenty minutes are easily the best In-bomber Action Sequence Ever filmed.

The rest is basically an hour long Beating with A Bamboo Pole in a Japanese POW Camp. Brutal.

Not to be flippant, but the way one particularly brutal camp scene is presented reminded me of the 'pull yourself together' scene in Airplane, with the passengers queuing up to shake some sense into one of their number...

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
You have no idea how many preconceptions that one thought provoking post has shattered, sir. Now I am determined to hit the libraries and educate myself as to the details supporting that which you have stated. Can you recommend one or two good sources as a starting point?

Mas Oyama's Karate offers an insight unique to Kyokushinkai and contemporary dojo budo/bushido. :coffee:

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Jack O'Connell's performance is the highlight of the film for me, how accurate does it his accent sound to American ears? The opening air battle scenes were excellent. This lot did the A-2s: http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/index.php?route=common/home

Jack O'Connell's accent was OK. When he used words containing "ow" there was a slight flaw. I read the book first and O'Connell did not seem masculine enough for the roll.

In "American Sniper", Sienna Miller's accent was very good. Of course she has the advantage of an American father.

John

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
I was so excited to see this film. I watched it opening week at a theater. I was so completely let down! I read the book my senior year of high school and it has since been one of my all time favorite novels. Did anyone else notice that they completely left out the sympathetic Japanese soldier that was actually kind of nice to Louie? I was wondering if he was left out just to make the Japanese look extra horrible.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Meant in no way as a condemnation of the Japanese people who I thought were very nice to all of us when I was deployed to MCAS Iwakuni; but I did have an interestingly related experience when I went ashore in Singapore some years later.

In the war museum in Singapore, there are (or at least were) two television monitors running a short looped presentation beside every exhibit; one in Japanese and one in English....except one.

For the Pearl Harbor exhibit, there was only an English presentation; as though Pearl Harbor wasn't to be discussed in Japanese. I thought this was very odd particularly considering how popular Pearl Harbor was with the Japanese tourists when I was there.

I just found it interesting. It's not like the Japanese people weren't going to be smart enough to figure it out when they saw the exhibit for lack of a movie reel. But, I say that knowing many Americans couldn't even tell you whom WWII was fought between, so maybe denial is more effective than I give it credit for.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I loved Unbroken the book as well as the movie - though I do wish that Jolie had gone into Zamperini's journey of faith and forgiveness as that was integral to Louis's overall story. But maybe Hollywood wouldn't go for it? I dunno. Regardless, a terrific movie.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Regarding the German and Italian internment here in the US, I actually wrote an article on it for America in WWII magazine. It's a topic very, very few Americans know about. But there is still a group of survivors trying to keep the memory alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails