Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

CharlieB

A-List Customer
We have one for movies, so why not music??

I'll start by saying I can't stand Bruce Springsteen. Why do they call him "the Boss"? What is he the boss of exactly? Plus he's just annoying anyway :rolleyes:

Definitely agree with you on this one, Rue.

Here's another: The Beatles - most over-rated band in history.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Beatles are overrated. Not a darn thing new about their music. It should only be listened to after taking a dose of Nyquil and wearing ear muffs. And that drug induced Sgt Pepper's album's only useful purpose is to be used for skeet practice.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Agree with all about Springsteen and Beatles. The first almost nobody remembers (like Sting, for example - and I do not him as well). But when I started to criticize Beatles, when u University, my colleagues almost killed me! Something to tell about in just private places...

CopperNY

A-List Customer
early Beatles is "ok", but i still think that The Animals and early Rolling Stones are superior. of course it's really just a bunch of British guys trying to be Chuck Berry/Little Richard/Bo Diddley....in the end.

Elvis runs the gamut. he was an incredible gospel singer and rhythm guitarist. but he sold out to do a lot of guaranteed paycheck nonsense.

and i'll put Cab Calloway up against any modern rapper in terms of "badass-itude" and "street cred".

finally, never got Dylan. if you want politics in your music, go with MC5.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's a few --

Irving Berlin ranks behind Gershwin, Porter, Kern, and Rodgers in the pantheon of American songwriters. Possible even behind Harry Warren, too.

The apotheosis of American popular music was reached on July 26, 1936 -- when Fred Astaire and Johnny Green and his Orchestra recorded "The Way You Look Tonight." Nothing else has ever come close.

Kay Kyser had a more musicianly band in the early forties than Glenn Miller.

Mildred Bailey was the best female popular singer of her generation.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here's one that needs to be said,...I absolutely HATE "Freebird", by Lynrd Skynard,...or whatever their name was. Hearing one or two seconds of that idiotic excuse for a "classic" song makes me break out in hives! :mad:

rue

Here's a few --

Irving Berlin ranks behind Gershwin, Porter, Kern, and Rodgers in the pantheon of American songwriters. Possible even behind Harry Warren, too.

The apotheosis of American popular music was reached on July 26, 1936 -- when Fred Astaire and Johnny Green and his Orchestra recorded "The Way You Look Tonight." Nothing else has ever come close.

Kay Kyser had a more musicianly band in the early forties than Glenn Miller.

Mildred Bailey was the best female popular singer of her generation.

I just named Kay kyser in this post: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?48831-Goodman-Or-Shaw/page5

I love his music.

I totally agree with you on "the way you look tonight". That's one of my favorite songs of all time and Frank ruined it, as did most that recorded it. I love Frank, but some songs he should have stayed away from.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Here's one that needs to be said,...I absolutely HATE "Freebird", by Lynrd Skynard,...or whatever their name was. Hearing one or two seconds of that idiotic excuse for a "classic" song makes me break out in hives! :mad:

agreed. "Southern Rock" pretty much peaked w/ Creedence Clearwater Rivival.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm sure a lot of people here won't speak to me again, but I think Sinatra is overrated.
I don't get the love for the music. I think he was a mediocre crooner at best. Maybe what people respond to most is the lifestyle? Okay, I understand that, but I don't get the music.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Seriously, Elvis was instrumental in combining R&B, hillbilly, and country.

No, he was instrumental in being white and combining those things. Everything he did had been done before him. There was nothing new he added to the mix. He just packaged it to a new audience.

LD

rue

I'm sure a lot of people here won't speak to me again, but I think Sinatra is overrated.
I don't get the love for the music. I think he was a mediocre crooner at best. Maybe what people respond to most is the lifestyle? Okay, I understand that, but I don't get the music.

LD

lol I'll still speak to you Lady Day :)

I loved Sinatra's early stuff (again like the Beatles and with most bands or musicians), but you're right about the loving of his lifestyle in the later days. How about Deano?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points