Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirts? Brands to recommend

mumpy

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,

I know some people like to wear their jackets with untucked shirts. I am one of those people but I dislike the look of a shirt that is longer than the jacket.

Do you know any brands (new or vintage) that make shirts that are shorter? How do people solve this problem? Do you bring your shirts to a tailor?

Thanks in advance!

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I have a few J Crew and Untuckit shirts. The J Crews are a little shorter whereas I can just barely tuck in the Untuckits in an emergency if I need to clean up my look. The J Crew fabrics and tailoring are a few notches below the Untuckits, but they are much cheaper.

One of my friends prefers the fit and quality of Peter Millar shirts (as do I) and he takes his purely casual selections to a tailor. He says it costs about $30 per shirt for a straight bottom hem And a little more for a shallow scallop.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have all my shirts from tailorstore. They are then made to measure.
Older longer shirts I have taken to my tailor.

Helix

Familiar Face
if you’re willing to spend a bit more money for an exact fit I like to buy most of my button up shirts from Proper Cloth. almost all measurements are customizable including body length, and there is a great selection of fabrics from Dress to very casual. you can also customize many elements including collar, cuffs, placket, hem shape, pockets, etc.

if I find an off the rack shirt I like, I usually have it tailored since I often have to size up for a good chest/shoulder fit. Same for t-shirts, I leave some longer to tuck in and others I have shortened.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'm not much help here as I'm an inveterate tucker, but fwiw I find a very significant proportion of modern / contemporary casual shirts are of little use to me as they all seem to be cut too short to tuck, presumably on the assumption they'll be worn loose. Unless you're looking something to wear a tie with (presumably unlikely, if you're going untucked), it shouldn't be a grailquest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana