Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusual Spectator shoe option

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Does anyone know of a reputable shoemaker who offers a spectator in black and gray, instead of black and white?

I think it might be a nice option for someone used to gray spats but needed a cooler option, temp-wise. I'm surprised I haven't seen any. The color combo would be elegant if it was a nice dove gray with a black heel, wingtip toe and lacing.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Black and gray spectator

Spatterdash said:
Does anyone know of a reputable shoemaker who offers a spectator in black and gray, instead of black and white?

I think it might be a nice option for someone used to gray spats but needed a cooler option, temp-wise. I'm surprised I haven't seen any. The color combo would be elegant if it was a nice dove gray with a black heel, wingtip toe and lacing.

I have two pairs of spectators from AllenEdmonds. The black and white is no longer offered in that particular model and the bone and oxblood pair is the McClain model, not offered in that combination as a stock item at present. The McClain model is now offered in black and white. About a year ago I contacted my shoe vendor (Sherman Brothers) http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=4763&ProductId=10037 to see if they could get me a pair of wingtip balmorals in white nubuck. They had AllenEdmonds make a pair of McClains for me in white nubuck. It cost me a $100 premium over the stock model price. I imagine that if you contacted Sherman Brothers, they could get AllenEdmonds to make a custom pair of McClain spectators in gray and white. What with the economy being what it is, you might be able to get them for a smaller premium.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Cookie,

Yeah, I thought about Magnoli, but when I checked his shoe offerings, I didn't see gray as an option. I may email him and see if he can manage something. I'm just afraid getting a new color will add to the cost, and paying over $300 is a bit steep for me as it is.

Kilo, I'd want gray and black, not gray and white, but your option has merit. I'll keep it in mind, and I appreciate the info.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Spatterdash said:
Cookie,

Yeah, I thought about Magnoli, but when I checked his shoe offerings, I didn't see gray as an option.

Good news! From Magnoli's website:

"No vintage suit is complete without an equally stunning pair of shoes. These bespoke spectators are made in calf leather of contrasting colours with oxford toe with a decortive punch pattern.

Price: $315

Available in four colours combinations:
tan/chocolate, white/burgundy, white/black, grey/black"

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Well, I'll be.

Thanks Marc. I looked at the Ambassador and the New Yorker, didn't even spot those.

Much appreciated.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I must say that while I like magnoli's shoes, they never looked quite "real" as in traditional solid shoes. Good, but not a perfect copy. But nice to be able to get whatever you want.

However, the shoes Cookie posted above look great to me. Maybe it iwa the way the sole is done and the stitching, but they look like great shoes. Can't comment on teh quality, but if they are good traditional quality, i would definitely consier buying apair when I have the dough.

Magnoli, well done. Are these different from your others?

Tzedekh

New in Town
Indy Magnoli said:
All of our shoes are made using the same basic techniques, though there is some variation in leather, soles, etc used from pair to pair.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Indy, which type of construction is used -- Goodyear welt, or Blake stitch? And do you make a last so that reordering is easy and the results are consistent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21