Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urgent A2 question: how much length should I add?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Sirs, I have had a 38 model Aero A2 on order since around September last year, when I finally went up to the factory. Things being much delayed since la crise d'Aero, I only just got a call from Ken. Well, he didn't seem too impressed by Will's measurements and expressed some scepticism about the suggested 2 inches added to the length. Didn't quite know what to say at the time but the jacket has apparently gone "back into production", so it could be being made as we speak.

I am 184cm, athletic build; the jacket is a size 40. Is 2 inches too much to add? If I am going to call the factory with changes, I'd better do it quickly.

Sir J

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, don't hang about. I had a similar thing last year BC and by the time I emailed later in the day the jacket was made.

Naturally it was too long and was a real hassle to get sorted and remade.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Youre around 6 feet? You'll want around a 26 inch back length. I would say 26.5 be safe. Just me...wait for a few more people to chime in.

767fo

One of the Regulars
If your six foot tall I would go with 26.0 in the back and 24.0 to 24.5 in the front. Don't go less than 24.0 in the front. I am going off my GW 38 Aero. I am right around six foot tall and 24.0 in the front was perfect but I could not go any shorter. The 38 Aero has a higher collar profile with a collar stand requiring the extra front length.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I am 191cm tall and my A-2 (Bronco pattern) has a back length of 27.5". It is more than long enough, and I have a tall torso. I know the '38 pattern Aero A-2 is generally shorter than the Bronco, so you will have to determine the total length of that specific one to see what it ends up being. In some respects, I wish I had only gone with 27" back length, but with my height few notice the slight difference.

schitzo

Suspended
I'm 6,2. For me I want the leather 26" long, so when combined with the wool that's 28.5" in total at the back

6'-4", 225lbs.
Bronco:
Front (zip) 24.5"
Epaulettes: 8.5"
Shoulders: 22.5"
Back (base of collar to bottom of knits): 27.5"
Pit to pit: 26"
Waist: 24"
Sleeves: 27.5"

For me, it's shorter than some might like. I just don't want a long A-2.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Guys, thanks. Called Aero. Spoke to the charming new phone person. Found the accent a little impenetrable but I think I managed to get my point across. I asked for max 26.5 back length. You definitely don't want an A2 too long -- it's against the style -- but something hovering around the belly button equally wrong. SJ

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Guys, thanks. Called Aero. Spoke to the charming new phone person. Found the accent a little impenetrable but I think I managed to get my point across. I asked for max 26.5 back length. You definitely don't want an A2 too long -- it's against the style -- but something hovering around the belly button equally wrong. SJ

Specify a max minimum length as well.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Found the accent a little impenetrable

Blimey, I always thought the Borders accent was one of the clearest, on account of its proximity to England. If you want hard, try Orkney's! I phoned somebody up there yesterday and in a two minute conversation picked up barely every third word. That's what you get for being invaded by Vikings, I suppose... :D

Here are two of my favorite A-2 fit pics fo Gene Hackman in "Bonnie and Clyde". If you watch the movie, you'll see how great it looks on him.

hack-A2-1.png

hack-a2-2.png

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Oh no! It was too late! 27.5 inches. Apparently it would take another six months if I cancelled the order.

This whole Aero imbroglio is getting a bit much, especially considering I went all the way up there finally to get the fit perfect.

SJ

Oh no! It was too late! 27.5 inches. Apparently it would take another six months if I cancelled the order.This whole Aero imbroglio is getting a bit much, especially considering I went all the way up there finally to get the fit perfect.SJ
Why are you sweating over a jacket you don't have and haven't tried on??? What is the perfect fit? Don't worry so much about other's 2¢. Wait 'til it comes and see how YOU like it!!! :)

majormajor

One Too Many
Blimey, I always thought the Borders accent was one of the clearest, on account of its proximity to England. If you want hard, try Orkney's! I phoned somebody up there yesterday and in a two minute conversation picked up barely every third word. That's what you get for being invaded by Vikings, I suppose... :D

I used to do a lot of public speaking, and the audience always found what I said more believable if I spoke with a northern accent (UK). Bizarre really:D

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Here are two of my favorite A-2 fit pics fo Gene Hackman in "Bonnie and Clyde". If you watch the movie, you'll see how great it looks on him.

hack-A2-1.png

hack-a2-2.png

He he. Hey Butte. It was seeing that film, when it first came out, that first got me into A2s. Took me years to find one!

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Bonnie and Clyde, what a film! Strangely enough, I don't remember the A2.

Well, at least the jacket should be long enough to keep me covered up when I'm sleeping on a park bench because of all the money I've spent on jackets.

SJ

Dr H

Call Me a Cab

I'm sorry, come again? ;-)

Last edited:
After giving Aero my measurements, I went with the length recommended by Aero when I ordered my A2 about a year and a half ago.
It was WAY too short in the body and arms.
Have talked with others who had the same issue with them.
Sounds to me like their "new" management has corrected the issue.

..... You definitely don't want an A2 too long -- it's against the style -- ......

There is no "A2 Style".
Look at the picture of they guy wearing the A2 standing on the left, in this photo AVG pilots from WW2.
I suspect if somebody posted a photo of themselves wearing a jacket with this fit today there wold be a few comments about it not being a "classic A2 fit"....being too "long" and too "baggy" .

AVG-Flying-Tigers-pilots-23FG3PS-Tommy-Haywood-01_zpscd609cac.jpg

Back then fit was all over the place.
If you like it, then it's OK.

(BTW, the length of the jacket Gene Hackman is wearing looks to be on the long side for an A2 to me...and yet it is a great looking jacket that looks great on him. )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points