Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

US Navy & US Marine Corp Boat Cloaks, and US Army Capes

Doctor Damage

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boat cloak worn by Admiral William Pratt (see painting earlier in this thread).

Admiral William Pratt boat cloak.jpg

Otium

New in Town
For what it’s worth, the Marine Shop at Quantico will still make a Navy boat cloak as well as the Marine version. After years of fighting it I caved in and ordered one this summer (I know they are not authorized anymore but they go so well with my mess dress) and just picked it up yesterday. Looks stunning and feels, well, magnificent.

Peacoat

Bartender
Bartender
For what it’s worth, the Marine Shop at Quantico will still make a Navy boat cloak as well as the Marine version. After years of fighting it I caved in and ordered one this summer (I know they are not authorized anymore but they go so well with my mess dress) and just picked it up yesterday. Looks stunning and feels, well, magnificent.
That surprises me. I thought boat cloaks were authorized with mess dress. What other way is there to keep the cold and wet off when wearing formal wear?

Otium

New in Town
That surprises me. I thought boat cloaks were authorized with mess dress. What other way is there to keep the cold and wet off when wearing formal wear?
They announced in 2015 along with the women's tiara and beret. If you want to stay warm you can wear the bridge coat or the all weather coat (basically a cheap trench coat) if you want. (https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...ate-tiara-cloak-shed-from-navy-uniform-racks/) I'm a commander now and wear my mess dress more at social events instead of black tie so I'll wear it if I want! Besides, no crusty chief will be trying to correct me at this point.

If you really want to nerd out (and I do occasionally) you can read up on all the latest rules for mess dress at https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Refer...fficer/Dinner-Dress/Dinner-Dress-Blue-Jacket/

Peacoat

Bartender
Bartender
In my opinion, the bridge coat isn't suitable for wear to and from formal events.

When I was in the Army, my dress blues were all I needed for formal occasions. Never saw mess dress.

Then the Army went with the dress blues for everyday wear. I think they have now gotten away from that.

I also have an opinion about the berets: The only color authorized should be green, and they should be limited to Special Forces. Of course I am biased as I still have a strong connection to the 5th Group at Ft. Campbell, and I'm a life member of the Special Operations Association. It's hard to shake old and strongly held opinions.

Thanks for the links. When I have some time, I will read up.

Doctor Damage

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a US Army cloak which was on eBay recently, made by a tailor in Anniston, Alabama. The agraffe is non-standard.

Attachments

• army 14a (J Creswell & Sons, Tailors, Anniston, Alabama).jpg
    army 14a (J Creswell & Sons, Tailors, Anniston, Alabama).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 6
  • army 14b.jpg
    army 14b.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 7
  • army 14c.jpg
    army 14c.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 7
  • army 14d.jpg
    army 14d.jpg