Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USA, Mount Rushmore Presidents

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Good afternoon,

I have a query regarding a light hearted quiz in a magazine. I think they have given the wrong answer as being correct.

The Question is: "Who is the only 20th Century U S President to feature on Mount Rushmore ? There is a Multiple Choice of answer possibilities;

A: Theodore Roosevelt

B: Abraham Lincoln

C: Thomas Jefferson

My US History is not that great, but I think the answer is; A: Theodore Roosevelt, however the answer given in the magazine is B: Abraham Lincoln, but I don't think that can be correct as he was President in the Mid 1800's so that's the 19th Century and I think Thomas Jefferson was even earlier than that?

Perhaps this is one for or friends on this site from the U S A.

Thanks Steve in South West London, United Kingdom. :)

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like it was a typo.

Mount Rushmore is a spot I'd love to visit one day, as well as the whole Black Hills and Deadwood area. Part of the US I've never been to, and would love to see.

Sounds like it was a typo.

Mount Rushmore is a spot I'd love to visit one day, as well as the whole Black Hills and Deadwood area. Part of the US I've never been to, and would love to see.
It’s definitely worth your while. If you have the time and the resources, I’d recommend taking at least a month to tour the entire region by car. Much of the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc., is largely unchanged from what it was when the settlers first showed their pale faces.

Edward

Bartender
It’s definitely worth your while. If you have the time and the resources, I’d recommend taking at least a month to tour the entire region by car. Much of the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc., is largely unchanged from what it was when the settlers first showed their pale faces.

It'll all depend on time and budget, but I'd hope at least three weeks one day.... Our next US trip whenever we're ready to fly long haul again will be Mephis and Gracelands. We'd originally planned to get married in the Chapel at Gracelands and combine that with our honeymoon, but then Covid hit and we decided to go ahead and get married at our home church, just us, the vicar, her husband and the office manager as our witnesses, and the dog as our bridesmaid while Greta Cat (RIP) stayed home in splendid indifference as was her way.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's interesting how Mount Rushmore, at least among Americans, has transcended its original concept as a hokey 1920s tourist attraction to become a cultural touchstone for "the four greatest (whatever) of all time." It's a popular activity to name the Mount Rushmore of Music, the Mount Rushmore of Your Favorite Baseball Team, the Mount Rushmore of Movies, the Mount Rushmore of Social Media Personalities, the Mount Rushmore of Vegetables, or the Mount Rushmore of Any List that Can Be Expressed In A Group of Four. Do other countries have a concept similar to this? Is there a global Mount Rushmore of Aribtrary Greatest Of All Time Designations?

The history of the carving of Mount Rushmore and what preceded it and what has happened since can keep a person turning pages for years.

It’s no exaggeration to say the Black Hills were stolen from the Lakota — a blatant, undeniable (by any honest telling) violation of a treaty made just shortly before gold was discovered in them thar hills. White man speak with forked tongue.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It's interesting how Mount Rushmore, at least among Americans, has transcended its original concept as a hokey 1920s tourist attraction to become a cultural touchstone for "the four greatest (whatever) of all time." It's a popular activity to name the Mount Rushmore of Music, the Mount Rushmore of Your Favorite Baseball Team, the Mount Rushmore of Movies, the Mount Rushmore of Social Media Personalities, the Mount Rushmore of Vegetables, or the Mount Rushmore of Any List that Can Be Expressed In A Group of Four. Do other countries have a concept similar to this? Is there a global Mount Rushmore of Aribtrary Greatest Of All Time Designations?

Back in the 90s when I went to a Leonard Nimoy book signing event in Belfast, I was interviewed on local BBC radio about meeting such an iconic figure. The interviewer said to me "It's like meeting Mount Rushmore, isn't it?"

Interesting thought, though - I'm sure there is something over here that is a similar touchstone, but I can't immediately bring something to mind this instant...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure there is something over here that is a similar touchstone, but I can't immediately bring something to mind this instant...
stonehenge 2.jpg

You are probably thinking of the sculpture being made at Hayle Towans, called Mount Recyclemore, portrays completely different people. The seven faces definitely look like the world leaders who attended the G7 Summit.

They are UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, France's president Emmanuel Macron, Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and US President Joe Biden.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 449093
You are probably thinking of the sculpture being made at Hayle Towans, called Mount Recyclemore, portrays completely different people. The seven faces definitely look like the world leaders who attended the G7 Summit.

They are UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, France's president Emmanuel Macron, Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and US President Joe Biden.

I was thinking more metaphorical than literal, really. I'd not seen this one - interesting piece. Certainly speaks to what a global touchstone Mount Rushmore has become, given that this as a parody obviously relies on people getting the reference. Interesting work.

There are the “Seven Wonders” and many suggestions as to what modern structure is the “Eighth Wonder of the World”. Which we all know is the Astrodome. There is even a beer to prove it.

1664036031044.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko