Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAuthentic A2 question about a detail

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi All

Which is worth improving/change in Usuthentic A2 ?? ( It zip ? replace buckle collar ? other cuffs ? or give do more narrow the sleeves ? replace tab ? that it would be more similar to oryginal ww2 Perry (?)
I would be very grateful for these remarks
regards an happy New Year:cool:

Atticus Finch, bn1966 , Doctor Damage, Big J, Fanch, Monitor..... ; I invite to the board;)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Honestly said, I am probably the last one of the bunch to provide meaningful input as I have never seen a US Authentic A-2, but most importantly I am far less knowledgeable than a large number of others on this forum regarding the fine points of the WW II A-2. From everything I have read here, it is my impression that Shaul presents well made jackets, and if one checks his website his A-2's are made with 100% cotton lining, 100% wool knit cuffs & waistband one piece back, two piece sleeves, and Talon nickel finish zippers.

As far as I can determine, the greatest issue regarding US Authentic relates to sizing, much like Gibson & Barnes jackets, which jackets are sized BIG. Other than coming up with completely new patterns, I doubt that anyone could approach answering the questions posed by @kowalski

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, he's already got one and is looking to improve it. He knows all about those details.

Just to clarify on sizing - at least as was true in my experience nearly 15 years ago, when I got my US A and G&B A-2s (it may no longer apply):

Gibson & Barnes jackets are oversized, period.

US A jackets are sized long, but trim... so they fit much better if you're tall and thin. (I'm not.)

What I mean by long: my size 44R US A was nearly two inches longer in the body and sleeves than my ("oversized") size 46R G&B jacket!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks @Doctor Strange for your input but am still a bit confused. By improvment does @kowalski look to make major modification(s) to his existing USA A-2? If so, I wonder if that might be a bridge too far to travel?

Regarding G&B fit, I used to have a "regular" G&B A-2 in size 44T (long) with polyester lining and knits that probably fit more like a 48 long + BIG with a very full fit in the torso that I could probably have zipped over a basketball! I did rid myself of it in favor of a G&B "historical" A-2 in size 40T (long) that probably fits similarly to a wartime 46 A-2 contract but is designed for someone with a tall somewhat slim frame. So, perhaps my 40 T "historical" G&B might fit somewhat similarly to a size 40R US Authentic A-2?

Having said all of that I think I would be loath to make major alterations to any existing jacket. I would though like to read additional clarification from @kowalski as to what exactly he has in mind here.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, one of my G&B jackets is from their Historical series, the M-422A. Its fit is virtually identical to my G&B Civil A-2 - both are 46R - only differing in how the design/construction of the styles differ. So I don't think that they sized the Historical models differently. (And why would they? Shouldn't a given maker's jackets be sized more or less identically across their product line?) But obviously going for their Tall version does make a difference. My sense of my US A was that it just assumed a taller, thinner frame, whereas the "modern sized" G&Bs expect a shorter/wider body type.

And yeah, I'm not sure that altering a US A to "improve" it is such a worthwhile idea, but let's see how kowalski does with it. The US A is a good start on a "correct" A-2, and it might approach the premium repros for accuracy with some enhancements.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Too bad John Chapman is unable to clone himself X 10 as he sets the bar at an astronomical height. At my age a three to four year wait for a GW A-2 would be unrealistic, and if I were to pursue the closest WW II contract, I would probably place an order for one of Aero's new and improved A-2's, probably an Aero Bronco A-2. I do have an Aero Bronco A-2 that was made from the "old regime" / Will Lauder era that fits me very well but has collar and pocket snaps that are a far cry from authentic.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm at a much lower level of fixation - and budget - than many folks here. I do have a Good Wear (from a few years back, when they were still under a thousand dollars), and it is sufficient to my needs as an accurate WWII A-2 repro. The truth is, I wear some of my jackets that cost a quarter of what I spent on that Good Wear a lot more frequently. These days I'm more about exploring additional jacket styles, preferably at bargain prices... now that I'm unemployed/retired.

kowalski

Practically Family
I thank my friends for information and for their involvement in the subject, it very nice from Yours side
And every information is important to me from your

. I would though like to read additional clarification from @kowalski as to what exactly he has in mind here.

What to change in my A2 USauth so, that it would be more similar to the original A2 Perry ww2

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I thank my friends for information and for their involvement in the subject, it very nice from Yours side
And every information is important to me from your

What to change in my A2 USauth so, that it would be more similar to the original A2 Perry ww2
Unless you do the alterations yourself, I can't help but wonder if the expense would be worth it all.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just looked at the Good Wear website to remind myself what some of the key details that made the Perry Sportswear A-2 unique are. Here is a link to that page:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_perry.html

Perhaps sharing this link with Shaul and asking him if he would build an A-2 incorporating these features is a possibility but it seems like a lot of work to me.
If someone is indeed interested in a more authentic version of an A-2 contract then I would recommend they look to someone like Eastman, Good Wear, or Diamond Clothing Co. who is already producing jackets based on original patterns. Unfortunately only Good Wear does a Perry repro and that means a long wait...
Kowalski, I wish you luck whichever way you choose to proceed!

kowalski

Practically Family
I have found such a model

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_perry_0002.html

USAuth have other buckle in collar - is incorrect.
The collar ;was usually composed of one piece of leather for the top side while the under side was made from two halves sewn together in the center at the back of the neck. U.S. Authentic have it , only without visible seam- it is incorrect
US have too wide sleeves - it might be best to narrow the sleeves.

it picture original Perry Sportswear 42-16175-P A-2 pay attention to the collar which is, has a slightly rounded shape
Collar in link GW 42-16175-P is no rounded- vide it
USAuth have it has the shape like in GW
quoting ;
...but each jacket had 20 different manufacturers. There might be a slight difference in each version.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

seres

A-List Customer
Narrowing the sleeves should be fairly easy to accomplish on an existing jacket. However, the other mods you mention, especially to the collar, will be difficult to accomplish and make the end result look right.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If someone is indeed interested in a more authentic version of an A-2 contract then I would recommend they look to someone like Eastman, Good Wear, or Diamond Clothing Co. who is already producing jackets based on original patterns. Unfortunately only Good Wear does a Perry repro and that means a long wait...
Kowalski, I wish you luck whichever way you choose to proceed!

I think @El Marro just described exactly what I was thinking. Rather than modify the US A A-2, maybe consider going with an Aero, Eastman, or a Diamond Dave contract. I suppose I remain stuck in 1st gear since I just can't quite wrap my mind around making any serious modifications on an existing jacket at all. It would probably not be too difficult for me to have the snaps replaced on my Aero A-2 Bronco or have the nickel YKK zipper on my G&B A-2 replaced with a deadstock Talon, but I just don't have the desire or motivation to do so. I just enjoy both A-2 jackets for what they are.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not trying to be funny but if you don't have a good idea what the specific differences are between a US-A and a Perry, why does it matter? Normally when folks try to change something they have a clear view of what is missing and what's needed.

kowalski

Practically Family
I'm not trying to be funny but if you don't have a good idea what the specific differences are between a US-A and a Perry,

if You read a little more carefully....what the Doctor wrote...

Fanch, he's already got one and is looking to improve it. He knows all about those details.
thanks to my own searching and drilling the topic, thanks to my Colleagues from the forum I know.

why does it matter?
simply
It is like with a car, you like it and you can make him better , more accurate.

Normally when folks try to change something they have a clear view of what is missing and what's needed.
not always
simply, i like texture this skin, and I know that it is going in the direction of Perry 42-16175-P and I would like to achieve it in 80% - 90% maybe 100%

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Are you going to do this yourself? I would understand this better if you always wanted a Perry A2 but you seem to have come at this after the fact. Why Perry and not a Bronco?

Anyway - for the record I like the US-A A2's as generic and affordable versions that are "close enough". I have looked at A2s with moderate interest for many years and I still can't tell them apart.

So for me it is really about the general look. For me the best you can get if you don't buy a Goodwear or Aero is a trim fit - size down. Probably best achievable if you are trim yourself. Then it's down to the look of the leather and the knits and pocket flaps. If the flaps are wrong, if the kits are ribbed in the wrong way, if the leather is too even and plastic looking you can't really do much about it.

My money these days for a close enough A2 is on the AVI Bronco pattern. About $320 US.

kowalski

Practically Family
Why Perry and not a Bronco?
because jacket A2 USAuth no modifications ,, saute"straight from the store goes in direction Perry , no Bronco or RW ect..
ps

let me post photos from a friendly forum.
Being honest I have not experienced any repro except USautha2 HH ( I also have Aero A2, Eastman , w&g , Avirex A2 ect ), wich would be so very similar as this original A2 , especially in color, skin thickness, texture skin, color and texture lining and general look (see last 2 picture )
https://vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/seal-perry-42-16175-p.12266/

that's why I think it's worth it to improve, refine, modernize and give it a little invest in it
And not to pay for these minor changes/ differences 1000$ extra and wait 2 year e.g on GW
imho

You've seen the Perry details here, right?

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2a.html

Yes, it's a very good, helpful site

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21