Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Use of cufflinks - When to...and when not to. A question.

sartana

New in Town
In regards to mens style in the 1950's and back, is the use French Cuffs/cuff links ever ok without a coat....or for that matter, without a tie? I am not talking about being in the office, taking your coat off and putting it on your chair. I mean showing up to work...or a function sans coat yet wearing cuff links. In my case, wearing a dress shirt is fine, but a tie and or a coat would be over the top formal. Was hoping to wear the cuff links, but my guess that is a no-no. Thoughts?

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I think you can wear them anytime you want, as long as they don't interfere with functional reasons. Watch Mad Men. Going jacket less with just a shirt, tie, and cuff links is perfectly acceptable.
don draper cuff links.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with what the others have said. If you got links and cuffed shirts...wear 'em.

That said, I don't think I'd be wearing a French cuff shirt with jeans...look a bit weird, eh?

RW Observer

New in Town
I wear my French Cuff shirts with a jacket most of the time, always with a tie and dress pants of course.

The least I've ever worn it with was probably just the dress shirt, dress pants and a tie, and that was most likely because I removed the jacket.

However, see how the cuffs work with different outfits, and if it looks good, go for it!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I wear my French Cuff shirts with a jacket most of the time, always with a tie and dress pants of course.

The least I've ever worn it with was probably just the dress shirt, dress pants and a tie, and that was most likely because I removed the jacket.

However, see how the cuffs work with different outfits, and if it looks good, go for it!

Welcome back.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I still consider shirt sleeves as undergarments. I always wear a jacket or at least a sweater that covers my entire chest and arms =).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou