Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN Deck Jackets period / repop

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some Toys McCoy are made outside Japan. Most Buzz jackets except leather ones are made outside Japan.

Last edited:

breezer

Practically Family
Looks and sounds like a repro by Houston. Congrats on winning.

I'm no expert - I guess I thought it might be navy issue, but repro is ok. I'de been bidding on BR ones coming up on ebay and was offered an Iron Heart - but the prices were too high. Fingers crossed its a good 'un.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
As Blackadder mentioned, that's definitely a recent reproduction by "Houston." I don't know how well made their jackets are, but it looks pretty nice. All the best with it!

- Ian

breezer

Practically Family
Jacket has arrived and am very happy with it. Size wise its probably a fraction too big, but I am happy with that - way better than being a fraction too small. The quality is decent - probably the only thing letting it down is the zipper, which seems a little light weight. I like the blue colour too. Photos to follow.

The jacket cost just over £100 from ebay - I just can't understand how people are willing to pay 3, 4 or even 5 time that amount on jackets they can't try on first.

(When I have time I'll do a write up on my little army/navy/airforce jacket collection)

Last edited:

bentusian

One of the Regulars
My deck jacket collection so far:

RMJP's N-1 jacket (sold off a while ago)

Buzz Rickson's William Gibson N-1 jacket (stencil nowhere)

Buzz Rickson's Deck Zip jacket (sold off, way too big for the tagged size)

Freewheelers 40's Deck Zip jacket (no stencil on the back, paraffin-coated jungle cloth)

Repro N-4 jacket

Original N-4 jacket w/ cutter tags (urgh, the awful smell of mould!)

Some more to follow...

bentusian

One of the Regulars
Not exactly the deck jackets, but..

Original US Navy 'utility jacket' from the 80s

Earlier type of the utility jacket from the 70s (darker navy color)

Shade comparison

And how I patched up and stenciled one of them

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Jacket has arrived and am very happy with it. Size wise its probably a fraction too big, but I am happy with that - way better than being a fraction too small. The quality is decent - probably the only thing letting it down is the zipper, which seems a little light weight. I like the blue colour too. Photos to follow.

The jacket cost just over £100 from ebay - I just can't understand how people are willing to pay 3, 4 or even 5 time that amount on jackets they can't try on first.

(When I have time I'll do a write up on my little army/navy/airforce jacket collection)

so where are the fitpics?

breezer

Practically Family
N1 deck jacket

so where are the fitpics? This was the best I could do today with my iPhone - spent the day out on the water shooting this nice plane & the N1 kept me nice and warm. Makes a great work coat.

FullSizeRender.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, with a very beer pocket book I cannot afford the champaign versions of the N1 Deck Jacket. So, any of the high end/high price versions are out the door. Would love to have a BR or the like.
So, I've been luring and studying the old inter web for an option that I can afford. There is one I came across on eBay, that is out of Japan.
mVHxZkKEao9mtXu9yJX-jDw.jpg

It looks nice, the sizing doesn't seem too over sized. Pricing is reasonable. Is this one on eBay a Houston reproduction? Is it the same one on Global Rakutin?
Does anybody here have any experience with the Houston reproductions? are they any good or complete junk?
For me it has been hit & miss over the years. I have bought some really great WWII uniform reproductions from China in the past, and they were spot on for originals. actually better craftsmanship too. But, every so often there is a skunk that just wasn't worth the effort or money.
So I figure I should ask around and see if this is a good option or a complete waste. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, with a very beer pocket book I cannot afford the champaign versions of the N1 Deck Jacket. So, any of the high end/high price versions are out the door. Would love to have a BR or the like.
So, I've been luring and studying the old inter web for an option that I can afford. There is one I came across on eBay, that is out of Japan.
mVHxZkKEao9mtXu9yJX-jDw.jpg

It looks nice, the sizing doesn't seem too over sized. Pricing is reasonable. Is this one on eBay a Houston reproduction? Is it the same one on Global Rakutin?
Does anybody here have any experience with the Houston reproductions? are they any good or complete junk?
For me it has been hit & miss over the years. I have bought some really great WWII uniform reproductions from China in the past, and they were spot on for originals. actually better craftsmanship too. But, every so often there is a skunk that just wasn't worth the effort or money.
So I figure I should ask around and see if this is a good option or a complete waste. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

Is this the one you are looking at?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USN-Navy-N1...-Model-/321784068656?var=&hash=item4aebd33a30

It doesn't look like a Houston if you compare the cuffs, the zipper, the zipper pull etc.
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-swat/10000299/

Could be this unbranded repro, seeing that it also has the processed/distressed version and comparing the zipper and cuffs etc.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/valiente-shop/item/rvjj105yn/

Last edited:

breezer

Practically Family
I think my N1 is from the Houston brand and its great - of course I still want a BR or RM deck jacket but for now the one I have is fine - if a little on the large side. The lining is probably synthetic, but its still very warm. Definite value for money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points