Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN G1 STAR sz46 flight jacket 7823D ~1968-early 70's, goat leather

Tkecks

Familiar Face
I just listed this on eBay:

US Navy G1 leather pilots jacket in size 46
original late 60's to mid 1970's MIL-J 7823D

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/282280300176?
(more photos on ebay)

Brown goat leather, quality leather with incredible pebbled texture.

The original label is well preserved and reads:

JACKET FLYING MAN'S
INTERMEDIATE, TYPE G-1
MIL-J-7823D(WP)
8415-268-7802
STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG. CO.
DSA-100-71-C-0535
SIZE 46

This is an original D series 7823D (WP) G-1 jacket. The D-series was manufactured between 1968 to the mid 1970's and was the last series to be made exclusively with goat leather.

The black dynal collar is original (dynal collars were introduced late in the D-series) and in good condition, with no notable loss. The waistband and cuffs are probably original and in excellent condition. The goat leather is in excellent condition: most of the newer E-series are cow leather, and the few E-series that were made of goat tended to be thin leather. I've owned a few G1's and I'd say this leather is of medium thickness (some of the oldest G1's had really thick creaky goat).

The brass zipper still has its leather pull, and is a Scovill paperclip-style. The windflap is stamped USN.

2 front pockets: 1 inside pocket.
Brass zipper front (Scovill)
Soft liner in good condition
Brass armpit grommets with no corrosion

SIZE
Tagged as a 46" chest, which is very large for jackets of this era, and hard to find. It is probably equivalent to a modern day large or on the smaller side of XL. I am a 46-48" chest, 6' 1.5" tall and slightly overweight and it fits me okay with just a shirt, but is a bit short (I am quite long-bodied). See below for exact measurements.

Measurements when zipped up and laying flat-
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 19.5"
Chest (armpit to armpit): 22.5"
Length (bottom of collar to bottom hem): 25"
Armpit seam to end knitted cuff: 20"
Shoulder seam to end knitted cuff: 25,5"

Overall this is a rare find in a very wearable size. I'm only selling it because I have accepted that I will never lose enough weight to make it fit me comfortably.

Sold as-is, no returns.

From a smoke-free home

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
Tkecks,
Thanks for the superb write-up. I bought this jacket from you at the eBay Auction....can't wait to get it. I usually wear a G-1 between a 46 and a 48, so this one should fit, albeit a bit snugly. Thanks again for listing this piece of history. Looking forward to your other G-1 listings on eBay. Hope you and your family have a safe and Happy Holiday season. Cheers, Mike

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Tkecks,
Thanks for the superb write-up. I bought this jacket from you at the eBay Auction....can't wait to get it. I usually wear a G-1 between a 46 and a 48, so this one should fit, albeit a bit snugly. Thanks again for listing this piece of history. Looking forward to your other G-1 listings on eBay. Hope you and your family have a safe and Happy Holiday season. Cheers, Mike

Thanks for the purchase. I got the shipping labels printed and it will be in the mail tomorrow! It's a nice jacket, wish I could fit in a vintage G1, but it's not going to happen I don't think.

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
Tkecks,
The jacket just arrived today and it is fantastic. It fits like a glove. Compared to the cowhide versions of the same period, it is incredibly lightweight. Thanks again for the opportunity to purchase this piece of history. Have a safe and Happy Holiday. Cheers, Mike

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Why? can't find one large enough or...?

I wear a 48L in the modern repros. Maybe I could fit in a 46 or 48 of the old pre-7823 series as they were slightly larger. and most importantly, longer, but large sizes in those babies are very expensive. I've bought a few 46 G1's now and none are quite the right sizing for me. I even have a series D in goat at size 48, and it's not quite right for me either. Will keep looking and meanwhile happy enough with my 48L 2001 Cooper: great quality and sizing, just lacks that authentic vintage feel.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Tkecks,
The jacket just arrived today and it is fantastic. It fits like a glove. Compared to the cowhide versions of the same period, it is incredibly lightweight. Thanks again for the opportunity to purchase this piece of history. Have a safe and Happy Holiday. Cheers, Mike

I'm really glad it fits you. There's nothing like the look an feel of a proper vintage goat g1: it was a crime when they switched to cow, especially the squeaky stuff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda