Vacuum bags and vintage clothing storage.

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by rocketeer, Jul 7, 2018.

1. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

I had ideas on storing a few pieces of 100% cotton vintage dresses and some other ladies clothing for sale in the future. The idea came to me to protect them from moth damage by sealing them in those vacuum bags but just sealing them un vacuumed.
    My questions are:
    Will the bags work and be airtight?
    Can there be any adverse effect to storing things like this over a period of time?
    I have never used these bags or know anyone who has.
    I am just looking for best ideas to keep the moths of the clothing over periods of 3-6-1yr before selling them.
    Thank you ladies(and maybe gents too:) )
    JTee

2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

For what it's worth, all my hanging garments, and that includes shirts, I keep in a zipper bag. Each suit has an individual bag, whilst trousers and sports jackets share, two to a bag. Shirts are all three to a bag. Never had infestation problems.
    zipper bags.jpg

rocketeer likes this.
  3. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Thanks, maybe an option. I'm storing stuff to sell at events, but not that many events in a year.

4. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

I've used vacuum bags to store my hand-knitted sweaters over the summer. I've never noticed any ill effects, and the moths stayed out of them. I think you have to be careful to fold the garments neatly so they don't become too creased in storage.

5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's also a good idea, before bagging or sealing up anything, to put it in a very cold freezer for a week or so to kill any moth eggs that might already have been deposited. You don't want to seal those up in the bag with a ready food supply right at hand.