Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vail on a hat any advice please

Louise Anne

Suspended
I have always wanted to try a hat with a vail or maybe have one alteres ( I have a big head):eeek:
Is there any thing I should know, like the number of layers of net or mesh size.
Do they effect or irritate you been in front or your line of sight
any thing I should avoid?
I am thinking maybe about having one added onto the one I am wearing in my profile photo as I like black a lot and a milliner said it might of originally had one and one and it could be replaced.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Hey Paul, I have a hat just like yours in your profile picture but with a short veil - it's beautiful on. I wore it to my prom! It doesn't get in my eyeline or annoy me, but also I constantly have curls falling in from of my eyes, fake eyelashes if I'm at an event, etc., so maybe I'm just used to it?

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thank you, it's nice to know that mine might be missing it's vail then , I do not like to alter things for the sake of doing it , putting it right is ok with me.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have a miniature top hat (very Cabaret style) with a black veil on it, and so far I haven't had the courage to wear it out the door - They always feel too dressy for normal wear to me. I want to wear it to a play next week, though.

However, whenever I have worn it in front of the mirror (with false eyelashes, lipstick et al) it felt just fine, and it looks very flattering (I know Jean Arthur was fond of wearing one in public to hide her age.) You might want to get a veil with a bigger mesh, like this:

katy-perry-8001.jpg

That way it's a bit more durable. As for length, I think it depends entirely on the hat. Bigger hats look nice with shorter veils, maybe to the tip of the nose, and smaller ones look better with veils to the chin or lower.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I bet you look great with your miniature top hat C-dot you should go for it.
today vails are popular but for wedding and going to the races,
I was thinking about trying to get a net that was not as see through a more finner mesh , i not sure if that correct maybe that too victorian morning .
That the sort of length that I was thinking off

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I bet you look great with your miniature top hat C-dot you should go for it.
today vails are popular but for wedding and going to the races,
I was thinking about trying to get a net that was not as see through a more finner mesh , i not sure if that correct maybe that too victorian morning .
That the sort of length that I was thinking off

Thanks :D We shall see. I'm sure the boyfriend will have a good laugh, anyway.

I'm not sure what eras finer mesh is correct for, actually. It's worth a little research. I know I usually see 50s and early 60s hats with wider mesh.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thanks :D We shall see. I'm sure the boyfriend will have a good laugh, anyway.

I'm not sure what eras finer meish is correct for, actually. It's worth a little research. I know I usually see 50s and early 60s hats with wider mesh.

Ignore him in this case! men do not know every thing about style, quick to say something
Research a good plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles