Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valuable Commodities

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
Do you still read newspapers? Do you purchase them at the market, or have them delivered?

I ask because I do not possess any. Years ago we stopped their deliveries to our home.
This brought a delimma of sorts. I now have to go out at night and raid dumpsters for these valuable commodities.

After all, what should I use to paper train a new puppy? What do I use to pick up the drips and drops from opening a new can of paint? What about window washing? (not the Bill Gates kind)

And, most of all, what do I use to wrap the fishes in to let someone know who is currently sleeping with the fishes?

^^^^^^
I find myself maintaining a stack of the weekly advertising circulars that arrive in the mail. I use them in the charcoal chimney, mostly.

I’d almost forgotten that newsprint is just the thing for cleaning glass. Here I am spending perfectly good money on paper towels when the junk mail is free and does a better job.

Do you still read newspapers? Do you purchase them at the market, or have them delivered?

I ask because I do not possess any. Years ago we stopped their deliveries to our home.
This brought a delimma of sorts. I now have to go out at night and raid dumpsters for these valuable commodities.

After all, what should I use to paper train a new puppy? What do I use to pick up the drips and drops from opening a new can of paint? What about window washing? (not the Bill Gates kind)

And, most of all, what do I use to wrap the fishes in to let someone know who is currently sleeping with the fishes?
I used to be a news junky, receiving 3 dailies newspapers delivered tomy door. My wife hated it as I left ink stains all over the house and the stack for recycling by the end of the week was huge. I cancelled, went cold turkey for a while and now have either online subscriptions or access through facebook. House is much cleaner and more tidy. We do have a free local newspaper delivered once per week (used to have 2 free local papers delivered twice per week). So we always have one around for the odd time we need some scrap paper.
I had beer/lunch with a buddy yesterday and I related the vast amount of fish&chips consumed on our last trip to Scotland. He asked if they still wrapped them in old newspapers. I said yes sort of, all were fresh unprinted news print paper....the days of old newspapers being used appears to have ended.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Until I had to stop because I can't afford it anymore, I was regularly buying the Boston Globe at the newsstand, a daily habit going back more than thirty-five years. I can't stand reading news online -- I like the experience of unfolding a paper, scanning the page, and prioritizing what I read after taking it all in at once. Clicking links on a screen is a weak and feeble substitute. Plus have you ever tried to swat a fly with a laptop?

As soon as/If my finances, so called, ever get back to where they were pre-pandemic the first thing I'm going to do, even before getting the hole in my roof fixed, is go out and buy a newspaper. So there.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get the local newspaper delivered to my door on Fridays and Saturdays.
As side effect I get a brand new carnival costume delivered to my door each year as well, going as a Herring every season.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A daily habit for the evening train ride until Starbucks ceased selling newspapers; news sheds
disappeared, itinerant hawkers folded street corner barking, so now I have to stop by a convenience store
inside the Options Exchange for either Chicago or New York fold fare. All the legal mumbo jumbo I get
on-line and I stopped my New York Times line script because of what I considered product lack.

Bugguy

Practically Family
For years as I traveled, hotels would have n/c copies of the USAToday or Wall Street Journal in the lobby. When the pandemic started, they stopped delivering. They've only just started up again and I must say, I missed the paper with breakfast coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112