Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson CHP 2

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
All this Vanson talk going on this week made me want to compare mine!
I got this jacket a couple months ago from @jacketjunkie in the classifieds.
It's a 2008 Vanson CHP 2, competition weight leather.

Nothing super special about it, it is well made, fits very well, although much tighter than my size 42 chopper it still gives great range of motion.
Actually, i have to say that these shoulder gussets are brilliant, although very discreet they really work well. Much better than similar ones i have tried on other brands. (for @Monitor the gussets are 2" deep)
Lining is the classic Vanson cotton sateen and it has the classic leather gun pocket and long wallet pocket.
The only really special thing about it is the leather, it is the blackest, darkest, shiniest leather i have seen until now. It makes every other black leather i own look like they are dark grey, this beast is the definition of "None more black".
The grain is also pretty spectacular!

Considering the jacket is 10 years old it is pretty much mint. Other than a very small cut (thankfully not all the way through) on the right outer elbow it is immaculate. I don't know what it looked like when it was new, but i'm sure the break in must have been a real nightmare...

Pics:

KAwAlKw.jpg

RwJevhu.jpg

Xjq1Lxd.jpg

YYW2bAJ.jpg

2ga2kJ0.jpg

Ox8QBnV.jpg

Fit pics:

Although it is the same tag size as my Chopper i would say it fits almost a size smaller.
I could fit an armoured riding shirt underneath the Chopper, the CHP is already skin tight.

7gcmTKP.jpg

GpGOsPu.jpg

zlCnd7j.jpg

Now, just for a laugh here is a comparison between 2008 Comp weight leather (CHP2) and 2016 Comp weight leather (Chopper):

The CHP weighs 2.90kg / 6.39lb, the Chopper weighs 3.60 kg / 7.95 lb. I don't think the difference in weight can be attributed to leather only, the Chopper has more hardware, and the padding has two layers of heavy duty nylon sandwiched in that has to add substantial weight.

The CHP feels somewhat like plastic, it has a thick shiny waterproof top coat, it feels like looking at a black piano. It is also very rigid even after 10 years. The Chopper on the other hand feels like a more hardcore version of the Schott naked cowhide. It is softer, thicker, not super waterproof, looks very dark grey and feels a lot sloppier on the back.

ApCH3GG.jpg

OciQS2x.jpg

cnKy6AO.jpg

UAgtsLx.jpg

I think that's it for me from Vanson!
Here is the Chopper thread if you want more pics:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vanson-chopper.94367/

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Carlos!
My first real crosszip was a Vanson CHP2 and I agree with your point about the good range of motion despite the weight of the jacket.

dannyk

One Too Many
I have a Chopper from around the same exact time. Purchased in 2016. And as much as love the weight and how absolutely tough that leather is, I fear it wont break in like the older ones. Vansons have always been beasts that take forever to break in. But Ive seen beauties from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s that after taking a beating finally start showing some amazing grain and creasing. I feel like the Chopper I have even after 20 years wouldnt have that same look. Im not sure if its a difference in leather as many here suspect Vanson has had some quality issues with over the last few years, or the design of the jacket, but Im very ambivalent about this jacket. If I go back to Vanson I think I would do some z150 or octagon or who knows what, but Comp.has lost its allure to me recently.

I think this jacket fits you exceptionally well - at least exactly what I'd want any cross zip to fit me. It looks cool. You look cool.

I'm not surprised to hear about the gussets, Vanson's especially good at making every part of the jacket as functional as possible. And CAL.

As for the leather, it's hard to find two Vanson jackets made from an exact same kind of hide on a second hand market but I can tell you that some of the stuff they've used in the past... Hardly anything can even compete. I know what you mean about the hide being black. I could describe the Rock 'n' Roll jacket I've recently bought just the same. It's a perfect black colour, even though it's made from a completely different leather.

@dannyk is right, though... What I'm seeing from Vanson right now, I don't think I'd invest my $ into a new jacket, made in comp. hide they work with right now. Which is a damn shame. If things don't change, I'm thinking prices for used Vanson jackets are going to skyrocket.

Great jacket, in any case. I'm jealous.

ksozay

One Too Many
I have a Chopper from around the same exact time. Purchased in 2016. And as much as love the weight and how absolutely tough that leather is, I fear it wont break in like the older ones. Vansons have always been beasts that take forever to break in. But Ive seen beauties from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s that after taking a beating finally start showing some amazing grain and creasing. I feel like the Chopper I have even after 20 years wouldnt have that same look. Im not sure if its a difference in leather as many here suspect Vanson has had some quality issues with over the last few years, or the design of the jacket, but Im very ambivalent about this jacket. If I go back to Vanson I think I would do some z150 or octagon or who knows what, but Comp.has lost its allure to me recently.

I've been at war with a few Vanson's I own trying to get them to break in. Stuart from Lost Worlds mentioned how he recommends rain for helping his leather break-in a bit quicker. Fortunately for me, rain isn't an issue in Seattle so I've been wearing my Vanson's out in the wet weather. I was impressed by how well this helped improve the break-in process for both my PLU and Chopper.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've been at war with a few Vanson's I own trying to get them to break in. Stuart from Lost Worlds mentioned how he recommends rain for helping his leather break-in a bit quicker. Fortunately for me, rain isn't an issue in Seattle so I've been wearing my Vanson's out in the wet weather. I was impressed by how well this helped improve the break-in process for both my PLU and Chopper.

When i have a new jacket i wet it down with a spray bottle before putting it on, i do it every single time i wear it. It has tamed everything even my Chopper, it usually takes a week or so. I have been doing it for the past 4 days with the CXL sleeves of my grizzly, they are now buttery soft and the grain is starting to appear nicely.
I don't usually wear a jacket out until it is suitably broken in, i hate the "I HAVE A BRAND NEW LEATHER JACKET" look of smooth tubular wrinkle free sleeves!

ksozay

One Too Many
Next time I'm in London Carlos, I'm hitting you up for some good Leather jacket time. I get over there fairly regularly. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto