Vanson Comet octagon 46

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Guppy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Vanson Comet, in "mirage brown" leather. Initially I thought this was "octagon" but the two have a very similar appearance. Tagged 46, but it's a snug fitting, short jacket. A little too roomy for me in the midsection, so I am selling it. Condition is excellent, no issues whatsoever. It's a really beautiful jacket, not as heavy as the comp weight Vanson leather, but still strong and sturdy, and a beautiful color.

See photos for measurements. Jacket weighs around 3 7/8 lbs.

$500 net to me, shipped to CONUS. International shipping at cost. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Guppy, I don't know if you've checked with Vanson but I'd say this jacket is made from horsehide. Not just because the leather looks similar but that's the kind of hardware I've seen them use only on HH jackets.

3. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Interesting... I'm not one to speculate, but I don't see it labeled anywhere as such. It does have a tight grain and stiffness consistent with certain known FQHH jackets that I've had, so it possibly could be HH. I can try to find out, but Vanson have not been the best at responding to correspondence from me in the past, so it didn't occur to me to try and find out.

I did notice that the color is extremely close to that of my Lee Trevor 101J trucker jacket. But I don't know what type of leather that is, either.

4. b1lf

b1lf One of the Regulars

Call them and ask to speak with Kim. She is very helpful.

5. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I'd definitely make sure as this would affect the price considerably. All I know is that I've been seeing this hardware exclusively used on HH Vanson jackets. Maybe they've made a special run of octagon hide for Metropolitain or something but... Best you ask. I've inquired recently about a couple of jackets and as @b1lf says, they were very helpful.

6. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I sent them an email, will see if I get a response in a reasonable time, if not I'll try calling. In the meantime, possible HH Vanson Comet at a potential steal price :) Buy now before the price goes up!

7. patrick_b

patrick_b One of the Regulars

When was the Vanson Metropolitain collection offered?

8. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I couldn't find a specific answer to that, but there's this page on their website which has what info I could find about it. Seems that it's ongoing, but I don't know when it was initiated.

https://vansonleathers.com/content/46-the-vanson-metro-collection

patrick_b likes this.
  9. b1lf

b1lf One of the Regulars

I don't think that's horsehide... the Octagon leather Vanson produces I've never seen in a horsehide material, rather a waxed steerhide.

It also looks to be the said Octagon material.

10. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

It's useless to speculate, but my initial guess was Octagon. Unless Vanson can look it up by the serial # and confirm what it's made from, that's what I'd say it is.

11. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Update:

Kim at Vanson provided the following information:

Original post updated to note the correct leather.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    AeroFan_07, jacketjunkie and JMax like this.
  12. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Cool information. Too bad it's cut so short (as are all comet's) cause otherwise it would be a close to perfect fit for me. Just like a longer torso length.

13. b1lf

b1lf One of the Regulars

Oh, I thought this was a forum to, ya know, discuss things.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b One of the Regulars

Thanks @Guppy.

Makes sense that it’s a different cut than standard Comet. I tried on a few Comets in 46 and they were all a bit bigger than this one.

Guppy likes this.
  15. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

;-) Well, this is normally true, but this is a classified listing, so I can't indulge in speculation that I can't back up with at least some evidence.

patrick_b likes this.
  16. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Yes, yes. As Kim said in her email, these were slimmer cut. It fits me well through the chest and shoulders, and if I still had the 36" waist I did a couple of years ago, I'd probably keep it. At 33" I'm a little too skinny there, but I could still wear it if I wanted. I think this is really more of a 44 based on how it fits me.

patrick_b likes this.