Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson help

barnabus

One Too Many
I'm bursting to order a Vanson. In a cafe racer style. Which means my head has narrowed down to Model B or Comet.

Fundamentally they have a similar look, but can any owners clue me up to the actual real world differences?

Why would I choose one over the other? What have you got, and why did you choose it? I'll be riding in it, but presume they'll be equivalent as far as that goes?

Thoughts, opinions and experiences please!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Comet is a short jacket (in some case it cannot even cover the belt). Model B is longer and has a bi-swing back and underarm gusset.
I have the Comet. 1) I don't ride so i don't need a better movement 2) I am short and 3) bi swing does not go well with my round type body.

You sure you don't mean Model A and B? Comet and Model B are two very different jackets. At least as far as a cafe racer style goes, I mean. Model B is much more casual, street jacket than a Comet. It is longer and roomier. It has shoulder gussets, more pockets, etc.
Comet is super short, cut more like a proper riding jacket. It's not Vanson's Sportrider grade jacket but it's close. Much closer than B.

You can ride in both but I'd always pick Model B over Comet, personally.

barnabus

One Too Many
Oh, now I realised I've no idea!

I've loved the Concert since I saw Ben Stiller as Mr Furious in Mystery Men. But then the Model B is the basis for the House jacket, right?

I want it for riding, so I need a trim fit and at least one usable pocket, inside or out. But frankly I also want it to look the business when I'm off the bike. Because I'm kind of vain like that.

I want uncluttered and unfussy, but one that means business.

e: stupid autocorrect!

Oh, now I realised I've no idea!

I've lived the Concert since I saw Ben Some as Mr Furious in Mystery Men. But then the Model B is the basis for the House jacket, right?

I want it for riding, so I need a trim fit and at least one usable pocket, inside or out. But frankly I also want it to look the business when I'm off the bike. Because I'm kind of vain like that.

I want uncluttered and unfussy, but one that means business.

Yep, that's Comet in Mystery Men. House jacket is just a regular Model B with stripes. I've had two Model B's. Fantastic jacket. Some of the best I've ever owned. I think it'd look most business on and off the bike. If you get the right size, it'll be trim fitting. It's a very simple but also super classy jacket. Just get the one with golden hardware. Looks best.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I recently bought a Comet from another TFL user. In my view, this is a fantastic jacket, even if you don’t ride. The fit does take some getting used to. Check the measurements and don’t rely solely on the tag size. I’m typically a pretty textbook 42, and my Comet is a 42, but there are some particulars to the fit...

The arms are a perfect length when I am standing, but not a lot of wiggle room when I am sitting down or bend them. There are also leather “sweat guards” integrated into the inner lining of the jacket at the armpits. It does not bother me, but it is an unusual feature in a jacket in my experience.

The overall length is fairly short. It looks great when my shirt underneath is tucked in. Again, no wiggle room, though. I typically wear mine with just a T-shirt underneath. I think anything more would look odd. It’s just my personal preference, though. It does mean that it is not a great jacket for cold weather for me.

The leather is fantastic! Excellent weight and grain. Mine also has a blue tartan lining. I’m not sure if it is standard or was a custom add-on. There are snaps for a liner, but I think the bulk might wreck the trim look of the jacket.

I guess my advice would be to try one on if you can. There are enough quirks to the jacket that you may want to test it out before committing. That said, I love my jacket. I can’t wait for warmer spring weather to wear mine more.

Sorry, but I don’t have any of the other Vanson Cafe racers for comparison.

Also, just saw your statement about pockets. There are two chest pockets. They can hold small items (small, slim phone, drivers license, some cash) but filling them would mess up the jacket silhouette. There is one internal pocket, but it is fairly small. Maybe a slim wallet would fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've often seen used Comets being lined with tartan of some pattern or another, though there's no mention of it on Vanson's site. Vanson's black cotton lining seems to be a standard for the style so no clue where these came from. Maybe TB?

ksozay

One Too Many
I have a PLU for sale. Brand new. Just a longer version of the comet. PM me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PLU Comet is the way to go if you are taller than 5’8” or so. My torso isn't the longest so the short comet isn’t all that short on me, but it is still my shortest jacket. Great on the bike but must be matched with my clothes “correctly” to feel comfortable with off-the-bike wear. Slim fitting too. Great jacket.

@barnabus I’d avoid the standard comet and def look at a plu-3. The standard comet in your size has something like a 22” back length. The model A, B or plu-3 is the way to go.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
344ACDBF-8535-4763-8737-4FE3978349E7.jpeg
What type of bike?
Owned model B.
It does not come with a 2 way zipper.
Leather is quite stiff and will be for a long while.
Length of model b works well on bikes that have you bent forward like a sport bike or propper cafe. On a cruiser, or in a car, i found the length/stiffness/no two way to cause the jacket to push up and cause an unpleasent chest bubble. I rode about 1000 miles in it. Its not the end of the world but it was what made me pass it on. I do think it looks cool as all get out.
Attaching a photo to show that while for regular wearing the length looks just fine, but since you said for riding

Psant25

One Too Many
View attachment 157673 What type of bike?
Owned model B.
It does not come with a 2 way zipper.
Leather is quite stiff and will be for a long while.
Length of model b works well on bikes that have you bent forward like a sport bike or propper cafe. On a cruiser, or in a car, i found the length/stiffness/no two way to cause the jacket to push up and cause an unpleasent chest bubble. I rode about 1000 miles in it. Its not the end of the world but it was what made me pass it on. I do think it looks cool as all get out.
Attaching a photo to show that while for regular wearing the length looks just fine, but since you said for riding
Agree with this for riding the model b about choked me out. Had and sold four model b jackets. Thought my last one custom with no side cinch, silver hardware, z150 leather, metal zipper box was going to be it. When the z150 broke in was not a fan and moved it.

miglan30

Familiar Face
I own a custom Vanson Daytona, only Vanson I have experience with except for my brother's Sport Rider. Great fitting jacket but I don't have the patience to break it in so it just sits in the closet lol...going to sell it. Between the Comet or Model B, I would agree with the others and say Model B, more versatile for on/off bike. The Model B is just a classic. My jacket has a Model B collar, never really bothered me riding but my bike is 3/4 riding position and I have only rode in it twice I think. I could see where it might be an issue in an upright position if your jacket doesn't have a two way zip or has a splayed hem, shorter Comet might be better there. Vanson's collars can be a bit stiff till you break them in.

Daytona...
pko360d.jpg

Stock Daytona...

qMYJURO.jpg

Last edited:
I own a custom Vanson Daytona, only Vanson I have experience with except for my brother's Sport Rider. Great fitting jacket but I don't have the patience to break it in so it just sits in the closet lol...going to sell it. Between the Comet or Model B, I would agree with the others and say Model B, more versatile for on/off bike. The Model B is just a classic. My jacket has a Model B collar, never really bothered me riding but my bike is 3/4 riding position and I have only rode in it twice I think. I could see where it might be an issue in an upright position if your jacket doesn't have a two way zip or has a splayed hem, shorter Comet might be better there. Vanson's collars can be a bit stiff till you break them in.

Daytona...
pko360d.jpg

Stock Daytona...

qMYJURO.jpg
I had forgotten about the Daytona! Man that’s spectacular for on and off the bike. That would be my choice right there.

miglan30

Familiar Face
I've often seen used Comets being lined with tartan of some pattern or another, though there's no mention of it on Vanson's site. Vanson's black cotton lining seems to be a standard for the style so no clue where these came from. Maybe TB?

The Tartan lining is an add on through vendors like TB or Urban Garage, etc. Vanson has a a few lining choices (floral, tartan, camo, etc.) but you have to order them.

miglan30

Familiar Face
I had forgotten about the Daytona! Man that’s spectacular for on and off the bike. That would be my choice right there.

Yea you only hear about Vanson's usual offerings, jackets like the Daytona, Mohawk, or Classic are also nice choices that don't get much exposure from what I have seen. At least with their new website you can get a better idea about everything they offer, used to be so archaic trying to navigate their site lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points