Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Horsehide Enfield Jacket

technovox

One Too Many
Just came across this vintage Vanson Horsehide Enfield Jacket this morning at the flea market.
Super excited to find such a rare beast out in the wild...and unexpected. The hide is incredibly heavy, and has an element of red in the brown. Riri zips which, I believe, indicates an earlier version of this jacket. Even though it is labeled size 40, I've found that the Vanson's Enfield Jackets run a size bigger for me (unlike their Comet and Mercury) and this one fits like a size 42. This is definitely one of the thickest jackets I've ever owned. Still on the fence about keeping it...
(Originally posted this in the WJAYWT section, but moved it here just so it would be easier for future reference.)
vansonhorsefitunzipped.jpg

vansonfitback.jpg

vansonhorsemain.jpg

vansonhorsesleeve.jpg

vansonhorselabel.jpg

vansonhorseback.jpg
vansonhorsefitzipped.jpg

Last edited:

patrick_b

One of the Regulars
Lovely find! I hit my local flea market this morning and saw a handful of Wilson’s and no name denim jackets. I always dream of a find like yours. Congrats! Amazing that it fits so well.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations Technovox! I have a Vanson Colorado made from the same hide with the same green and blue plaid lining that I picked up here on the lounge. It is heavy stuff indeed. The fellow I bought it from was the original owner and I believe he said he picked it up in the late 90s or early 2000’s. I would imagine yours is the same vintage.

technovox

One Too Many
Congratulations Technovox! I have a Vanson Colorado made from the same hide with the same green and blue plaid lining that I picked up here on the lounge. It is heavy stuff indeed. The fellow I bought it from was the original owner and I believe he said he picked it up in the late 90s or early 2000’s. I would imagine yours is the same vintage.
Thanks for the info! It's definitely some of the heaviest hide I've owned. Way back when Vanson was in town doing a promotion, I asked Kim Vanson if they were ever going to do horsehide again, and she said it was doubtful.

Bennarion

One Too Many
Just came across this vintage Vanson Horsehide Enfield Jacket this morning at the flea market.
Super excited to find such a rare beast out in the wild...and unexpected. The hide is incredibly heavy, and has an element of red in the brown. Riri zips which, I believe, indicates an earlier version of this jacket. Even though it is labeled size 40, I've found that the Vanson's Enfield Jackets run a size bigger for me (unlike their Comet and Mercury) and this one fits like a size 42. This is definitely one of the thickest jackets I've ever owned. Still on the fence about keeping it...
(Originally posted this in the WJAYWT section, but moved it here just so it would be easier for future reference.)
View attachment 176035

View attachment 176037

View attachment 176038

View attachment 176039

View attachment 176040

View attachment 176041 View attachment 176042
Good find. Perfect fit.

Thanks for the info! It's definitely some of the heaviest hide I've owned. Way back when Vanson was in town doing a promotion, I asked Kim Vanson if they were ever going to do horsehide again, and she said it was doubtful.

Very rare, though I think Left Field has a HH Commando. The exception proves the rule.

That's as good as a find can get and if you don't need insta $1K, it's a definite and absolute keeper. Finding something so rare in any size is already a serious lucky break but finding it in your size... That's one in a million. Fits you perfectly. I'd keep this forever.

Always wanted to know, @technovox , do you think this HH is by Horween?

technovox

One Too Many
That's as good as a find can get and if you don't need insta $1K, it's a definite and absolute keeper. Finding something so rare in any size is already a serious lucky break but finding it in your size... That's one in a million. Fits you perfectly. I'd keep this forever.

Always wanted to know, @technovox , do you think this HH is by Horween?
I believe Kim (Vanson) said during this brief time they were making horsehide jackets they sourced it from somewhere else...but honestly that conversation was a long time ago, and I'm not really sure. But I've never handled any Horween quite like this stuff...it's insanely thick and heavy with the most amazing burnished brown.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Looks perfect. Good to see a jacket With a little wear on it. The enfield is one of my favorite designs and I had my sights set on buying one when I went to London. These pics have me second guessing my decision

I believe Kim (Vanson) said during this brief time they were making horsehide jackets they sourced it from somewhere else...but honestly that conversation was a long time ago, and I'm not really sure. But I've never handled any Horween quite like this stuff...it's insanely thick and heavy with the most amazing burnished brown.

Interesting! I really wonder where were they sourcing this hide from as nothing that I've seen, beside Horween, looks even remotely similar. Some years ago I "won" a HH Enfield on eBay, same burnished brown leather and all, for a ridiculous $200 but the transaction couldn't be finalized due to some idiotic Paypal restrictions. The seller was in Indonesia. We never figured out how to get the money through so I couldn't buy the jacket. I just wanted to see Vanson HH.

Then there's of course that trucker...

technovox

One Too Many
Interesting! I really wonder where were they sourcing this hide from as nothing that I've seen, beside Horween, looks even remotely similar. Some years ago I "won" a HH Enfield on eBay, same burnished brown leather and all, for a ridiculous $200 but the transaction couldn't be finalized due to some idiotic Paypal restrictions. The seller was in Indonesia. We never figured out how to get the money through so I couldn't buy the jacket. I just wanted to see Vanson HH.

Then there's of course that trucker...
I remember that Vanson Horsehide Trucker! I can only imagine if it was anything like this hide, then it was truly amazing.

BTW, even though I picked this up at the flea, the seller clearly knew what he had and that Vanson was a name to charge premium $$ for...and it wasn't exactly a steal. Still, it was still fun to find something this rare.

What a jacket. Beautiful hide and that big brass Riri zip is choice. Fit is spot on perfect too!
I once came across an Enfield as. 40” at a garage sale marked at $20 (not HH) bit in mint condition. I completely freaked out and showed the woman selling it what she could fetch for it on eBay. Opened the app and everything. After we left my wife reminded me of what an idiot I am. I had no counterpoint. Just walked with my head down the whole way home.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A+ in every way.
Would love to see that leather in person but regardless- The way it fits and looks on you- Hard to get better!! Really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points