Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model B - the search for my perfect cafe racer is over

Model B is an excellent jacket and Vanson wears like concrete. Congrats man. I saw your post as probably most here have in the TB thread. Enjoy it man. Vanson is great stuff! I'm a huge fan.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on your Model B. It's one hell of a jacket...it gets thicker as it breaks-in !! When things get serious, when the shit hits the fan.......REACH FOR YOUR VANSON !!!

Just read your review. Excellent photos! Post 'em here, this jacket deserves its thread. And yeah, I agree. One of the finest riding jackets ever made. One that can double as a casual leather jacket without any trouble. TBH, I don't think you can actually buy a better CR. Or at least I can't think of a maker that offers a jacket comparable to the B?

But it actually is a very popular jacket due to the House MD TV series. Laurie frequently wears one in the show.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Great looking jacket. Looking forward to fit pics!

I have an America jacket on order, which is basicly the model B plus stripes and a flag. Cannot wait to receive that one.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on your new Vanson. They are beautiful jackets and with a bit of wear they really start to soften up and conform to your shape.

b1lf

One of the Regulars
Congrats on your Model B. It's one hell of a jacket...it gets thicker as it breaks-in !! When things get serious, when the shit hits the fan.......REACH FOR YOUR VANSON !!!

Haha thanks

Just read your review. Excellent photos! Post 'em here, this jacket deserves its thread. And yeah, I agree. One of the finest riding jackets ever made. One that can double as a casual leather jacket without any trouble. TBH, I don't think you can actually buy a better CR. Or at least I can't think of a maker that offers a jacket comparable to the B?

But it actually is a very popular jacket due to the House MD TV series. Laurie frequently wears one in the show.

Yeah I'll re-post my review with pics here later today - like you said - the jacket deserves it. I'll bug a friend to shoot me today as well so I can get started with the fit pics.

I saw the House jacket; personally not for me, but pretty cool it's getting some recognition!

I have an America jacket on order, which is basicly the model B plus stripes and a flag. Cannot wait to receive that one.

Nice, congrats!

Congratulations on your new Vanson. They are beautiful jackets and with a bit of wear they really start to soften up and conform to your shape.

Can't wait - enjoying the break in process already. I've had some stubborn raw denim break-ins, but this seems like it'll be the hardest yet.

Truly a beautiful jacket. In fact, it is one that has been on my radar, too, for quite a long time! Great job!

Thanks - don't hesitate on pulling the trigger.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
b1lf said:
Is there a way to repost the entire content of that post, into this thread? REALLY don't feel like retyping that, and re-doing all of the picture links.

If you hit QUOTE on the bottom of your post in that thread then you should then be able to edit your post in this thread, and click 'Insert Quote' and tit should paste in.

Great write up BTW.

Last edited:

b1lf

One of the Regulars
Well.....

I can't edit my original post (why? lol... only forum I've experienced this). But here's the post from the TB thread:

Massive thanks to Carrie (and Wade a bit) for all of the help - it's been 2-3 YEARS now for the endless search for my perfect cafe racer. I've purchased 'fashion brands' (Diesel, etc), Schott (654), and tried on countless others at high end spots where I live here in Venice/LA. None really fit the bill.

I was done messing around... after much debate on the Aero Board Racer (an amazing jacket, I'm sure) - I actually went with a wild card purchase and ended up with a Vanson Model B.

This jacket doesn't see much fame on the internet, that's for sure. It's a unicorn... try finding a 'real life' fit pic of this thing, nearly impossible. Again, I live in Venice (SoCal).... so COLD here is anything below 71.3 degrees. (Quick aside: I grew up in Wisconsin, so I know what REAL cold is, but trust me, your blood thins out after living in a warm climate and 50 is now freezing for me). That said, I'd only wear a T-shirt, henley, or perhaps a long sleeve dress shirt/flannel underneath. I wanted a snug fit.

The sizing chart from Vanson was hard to understand because, to me, the chest measurements were huge. Again this is where Thurston Bros came through -> Carrie suggested a size 38 for a snug fit - I'm 5'10", 175-180 lbs, 40" chest. Now someone else could have exactly those measurements but have a shorter torso or longer arms or thicker stomach -------- but WOW ------- she nailed the fit.

This thing is a TANK. The leather quality is amazing and very thick. Actually had a bit of a chemical smell from the die(s) and what not, but nothing unpleasant. Was happy to get a 'fresh' one. :) I'm on day 3 now and that slight chemical smell has faded and now smells incredible.

I'll do a big picture dump, but honestly pics don't do this thing justice - the hardware is top notch - the side buckles look like they could be on a $200 belt - I love having hand pockets, 1 chest pocket, and 1 interior pocket.

The sleeves REALLY cinch down around the wrist - I read through pretty much every single page on here and saw another new Vanson owner comment about the "sloppy" material around the wrists.... well I know that after a break-in, it'll form a nice snug fold.

It's TOUGH to break in, but that's exactly what I wanted... something that will mold to me. The inside of my elbows and my wrists especially are really working, haha...

Downsides? Umm the upper arms are a tiny bit loose but there's room to grow..... and the bottom of the zipper is plastic? That wraps that section up. ;)

One final thought on the jacket ----- BACK/SHOULDER GUSSETS ----- I'm so glad I have these. Especially with a snug fit, these things are a savior. The biggest downside to my Schott 654 (well plus the fact the thing didn't mold to me whatsoever and I don't think the finish quality was on par with this Vanson) - was the lack of back gussets.

I (stubbornly) drive a manual BMW M3 around in LA traffic, and the Schott I had to take off before I hopped in the car because I couldn't move around comfortably. This Vanson I can have full mobility and I feel like I'm wearing an armored battle suit driving... as well as walking around (I do not ride a motorcycle, but surely this thing is a beast for that, like it has been designed for).

All around A+++ purchase. I'm so happy.

Again big thanks to Carrie for answering my 832 questions, promptly, with what I imagine as a smile on her face doing so. Enough typing, on to the picture dump and then to go outside in this freezing 54 degree weather with this thing on while it lasts!

front 2 by B1LF, on Flickr

leather by B1LF, on Flickr

hand pocket 1 by B1LF, on Flickr

chest pocket and zipper by B1LF, on Flickr

sleeve end by B1LF, on Flickr

sleeve zipper and side buckle by B1LF, on Flickr

side buckle by B1LF, on Flickr

plastic zipper end? by B1LF, on Flickr

back by B1LF, on Flickr

vanson back by B1LF, on Flickr

shoulder by B1LF, on Flickr

shoulder 2 by B1LF, on Flickr

top by B1LF, on Flickr

b1lf

One of the Regulars
A (non-photographer) friend took a few shots with my camera and pics didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped..... washed out from the sun - it was really sunny (& hot) today, had to chuck some shades so I wasn't squinting so badly. Not trying to just look cool. :cool:

Just powered through a few quick edits; should tie you guys over for awhile until I get a friend who's a bit better behind the lens.

sun in the eyes by B1LF, on Flickr

side by B1LF, on Flickr

adjusting sleeves 1 by B1LF, on Flickr

b1lf

One of the Regulars
Those pics are some of the best I've seen. Clearly a case of (well-deserved) love for a beautiful jacket. You should post them with a XXX warning, though.

Thanks hommie & lol @ the XXX

If you hit QUOTE on the bottom of your post in that thread then you should then be able to edit your post in this thread, and click 'Insert Quote' and the bellow might appear, if not and its a help, I'll post it here. If you want to add it to the top I'll delete this...

Great write up BTW.

A good 'ol copy & paste worked, even with the image links!

Appreciate it

IXL

One Too Many

Plus, I believe, the America jacket lacks the side belts which are a feature of the Model B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points