Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Mohawk Cafe Racer - Fit Pics / Review

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
During my hunt for a modern production / fit cafe racer I stumbled upon the relatively unseen (at least to me) Vanson Mohawk. Figured Id give the Lounge some info on it given I couldn't really find much prior to purchase.

Full action back, one large back panel, 2 pocket chest, high set main zipper, and two piece sleeves. This is a size Medium (40) with a trim fitted pattern. Not skinny jeans slim fit and not baggy. I'm 5'9 160lb with more of a swimmer/soccer build than gym rat. I can never squeeze my shoulders into slim fit and I don't have enough mass elsewhere to fill out the roomier patters.

Hide is the thinner Z150 (not the stiffer X150) which I think is perfect for this style. It starts out very smooth/shiny, but quickly starts showing grain/folds . This batch was particuliarly grainy and I think it's going to be awesome after full break in! I really dig Vanson's Z150 for casual wear styles and stick with Comp Weight for on the bike use. Tried an X150 Chopper for a few months but just didn't enjoy that hide as much and moved it on. On to the show.....

3.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg

This is awesome! Always wanted to see more of this jacket. I know it's basically Brooks but that can only be a huge plus. Fits just like it and looks even better. A really nice jacket!

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Sure thing, will take measurements when I’m back home and post up for reference.

Re the Brooks. It was my recent brown gold label purchase that cemented my decision to purchase a black Mohawk. It’s like a new improved fit / tweaked Brooks with much better leather and construction. The Brooks chest pockets always sit /look a bit too low for my body. Almost under the pec vs on top like. This Vanson remedies it. It also has a single inside zip pocket down where the hand warmer position would be.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Swimmers shoulders problem here too..loving the early Brooks CR & your Vanson Mohawk...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's one of the nicest cafe racers I've seen. Thanks for sharing. I was in discussions with Vanson to have custom made version of this. Back length of 27.5 inches ( I am four inches taller than you).

When I first saw this I realised it was a Brooks style properly specced. Which is probably my favourite jacket pattern.

The lighter leather at 3oz is still a bit thick and heavy for my taste, but jeez it looks cool. I have a Vanson jacket in Firenze which is a bit heavy for my use down here.

Kim at Vanson told me I had to order one without side hand-warmer pockets if I didn't like them (which I don't) I can't tell if yours has pockets there.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Fits you great. I am assuming this is brand-new? Mind sharing the measurements? I am 5'9, 152. Thx

Here’s what I’m getting for actuals...

Bottom Hem 20
Back Length 26.25 (from base of collar)
Shoulder 19
Sleeve 26 (along curve)
Pit 21.5

This is the smallest pit-pit I’ve taken but it makes sense / fits good with the full length action back.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Here’s what I’m getting for actuals...

Bottom Hem 20
Back Length 26.25 (from base of collar)
Shoulder 19
Sleeve 26 (along curve)
Pit 21.5

This is the smallest pit-pit I’ve taken but it makes sense / fits good with the full length action back.

Does it have lower side pockets - looks like it doesn't.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Hey Seb. It does not. Staying true to that early 70s vibe with just upper chest pockets and slightly longer length body. No handwarmers on mine, but I believe Vanson also has a 4pocket version of this in X150. For me, this one 99% checked all my preferred requests but in a stock jacket with no custom size price tag or wait time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot