Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson open house. Worth going to?

Peacoat

Bartender
I haven't been, but if they came to my area, I would go. Would like to see their offerings. Plus, meeting Kim Vanson would be worth the price of admission. I talked to her on the phone three or four years ago, and I would like to see if the rest of her is as nice as her voice.

technovox

One Too Many
Thanks for the post. I might try to make it over there later this afternoon. I've always loved the Vanson competition cowhide. Unfortunately, their jackets never seem to fit me quite right. Maybe a custom fit will work better. (Like I need another leather jacket...sigh)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think I'll head to the City, stop by the Vanson event, have a nice lunch, and cap the day off with a visit to Johnson. That's the West Coast equivalent of spending the day in Scotland!

schitzo

Suspended
.. meeting Kim Vanson would be worth the price of admission. I talked to her on the phone three or four years ago, and I would like to see if the rest of her is as nice as her voice.

My experience of voices like that suggests the rest of the package won't align. I could be wrong, but my suspicion is you're probably better off not finding out

technovox

One Too Many
I think I'll head to the City, stop by the Vanson event, have a nice lunch, and cap the day off with a visit to Johnson. That's the West Coast equivalent of spending the day in Scotland!

Thinking along similar lines -after my visit to the Vanson event, I was going to stop by Johnson Leathers too! (Hopefully Allen will be there.)
Who knows- maybe we'll cross paths. Tour de Leather!
Cheers

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thinking along similar lines -after my visit to the Vanson event, I was going to stop by Johnson Leathers too! (Hopefully Allen will be there.)
Who knows- maybe we'll cross paths. Tour de Leather!
Cheers

I'm not going. Just throwing out the idea to others in the area! Honestly, trips to leather jacket shops are about the coolest things on earth. Vanson, Aero, Johnson, Insurrection, etc. They're all probably wonderful and I'd base my vacations around them if traveling.
*Just be sure to stock up on quarters (for the parking meters) if you're headed to SF.

felix03

One of the Regulars
Thanks gents. Ended up going last night. The selection was a bit disappointing but I was able to try on the Vanson Chopper. What a jacket! Kim vanson was also incredibly nice and helpful, and very knowledgeable about the hides they use. I always thought vanson only used two leathers -- competition weight and mid weight (Firenze) -- but she explained to me there were various weights, tanning and finishing processes, etc. Almost bought the Chopper right then and there, but perhaps it's best to mull it over for a day or two …

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thanks gents. Ended up going last night. The selection was a bit disappointing but I was able to try on the Vanson Chopper. What a jacket! Kim vanson was also incredibly nice and helpful, and very knowledgeable about the hides they use. I always thought vanson only used two leathers -- competition weight and mid weight (Firenze) -- but she explained to me there were various weights, tanning and finishing processes, etc. Almost bought the Chopper right then and there, but perhaps it's best to mull it over for a day or two …
Did they have sales or anything? I've ordered a custom Chopper a few weeks ago, not sure how long I have to wait, but I'm very excited. It's hard here in Australia, we miss out on all these things....I've seen a chopper in real life, but have a fantastic chocolate brown CHP which I love.

technovox

One Too Many
I dropped by Scuderia and met Kim. She's extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and very sweet and charming. I asked her why Vanson didn't offer horsehide anymore, and she gave me a very lengthy and complicated explanation. And she also explained why they went to a different main zipper box (the bottom black one.) I won't go into any of this for fear of hijacking the thread. And she reassured me that all the jackets are still made in the US.
Finally, I ended up ordering a custom Vanson. (How could I not with Kim there to personally take all my measurements?) Here's a pic of her.
Happy Birthday Kim!
kimVanson.JPG

Last edited:

felix03

One of the Regulars
Bunyip, as far as I remember vanson only brought about 10 jackets or so to sell. Scuderia already had an inventory of about 30 jackets or so. For the chopper there was 1 sample in a medium in addition to the one medium they have for sale.

Peacoat

Bartender
Techno: Thanks for the pic. That is a real coup. Yes, she does look sweet and younger than I imagined .

Did you tell her some guys--well one guy--wondered what she looked like?

technovox

One Too Many
Techno: Thanks for the pic. That is a real coup. Yes, she does look sweet and younger than I imagined .

Did you tell her some guys--well one guy--wondered what she looked like?

I asked her if it was okay to take her picture for the Fedora Lounge.
She was a bit reticent, but then she graciously said yes. (I only had my iPhone with me so I took a quick shot.) Between her birthday celebrations, a sizable stream of customers coming and going, and getting measured, it was quite a busy event.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112