Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Z150 vs. X150

roadking04

Practically Family
I am starting to think about a summer riding jacket. I am looking at the z150 and the x150. Anyone have experiences with these leathers? Any differences in weight, feel, grain? I was wondering if anyone knows how they will age or break in. I have seen very few pics of the Z. It appears to be very shiny and smooth. Not very many examples of the X at all. Any thoughts, comments, or pics?

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks for the great review Carlos. That is a beautiful jacket. I have a hard time differentiating between the 2 leathers. They both look very similar to me. I have ruled out the comp. weight for the most part. It has been very disappointing lately.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too have a Commando in the X150.
8F7C2141-1970-41D8-ADB6-679FD29E86B8.jpeg

I really like this leather. I find it to be pretty much exactly as Carlos described. I also find it to be nicer than the current Comp. Weight. Definitely had more grain and character right out of the box.
I have never seen the Z150 in person so I cannot comment on it unfortunately.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks El Marro. The X150 is looking promising. I would have to say, it looks way better than the lifeless comp. That is a great looking jacket. I think the nickel hardware gives it a little more "edge."

SinSir

A-List Customer
I have both the X and the Z. Here's my experience between the two. They are very similar and honestly not a ton of difference between them but enough to be different. I wouldn't hesitate to have either. They are thinner than the good comp weight but thicker than a vintage Vanson. The X is .1 to.2 mm thicker than the Z. They both have a very stiff hand like you'd expect from Vanson. The X was shinier than the Z but both shiny like a Vanson. They both toned down quickly. The Z was quicker. Z has more natural character in the grain, the type non leather guys may find to be flaws. The X has character once breaking in but less "flaw" character.

I've handled far more X than Z. The X is exactly what I'd expect a Vanson to be, stiff and shiny like armor. A little thinner and lighter weight than comp but still thick and robust. The one example of Z is a hair thinner, ever so slightly less shiny, and more character but every bit as stiff and robust.

Honestly both are a win in my book and you can't go wrong with either.

roadking04

Practically Family
@SinSir, Thanks for the awesome comparison. I was thinking the X was more rare than the Z. Seems it is the opposite. The example I seen in pics of the Z reminded me of Schott HH. It looked very smooth and shiny. I actually like that though. It is looking like the X might be a tad better? I hate to say it, but I think both examples are better looking than the comp. weight. I really don't care for the corrected, spongy/rubberlike competition weight Vanson is using now.

SinSir

A-List Customer
Schott HH is a good one to bring up. In some ways the X reminds me of it. I'm looking at them both now. Its poor indoor light with energy saving bulbs but the X and HH loosely have similar characteristics in look but not feel. Both have lost the shine and do have a different depth of black but they are also far apart in age. It's weird they are both similar sized CRs and weigh about the same but the X is .2 to.3mm thicker and it shows by the eye test and feels it by the hand test.

The Z is still new and barely broken in but has more what's the word I'm looking for to describe the difference in character, until I can think of it, scarring? In a good way, its cool. It's also developing more of a smokey look to it, which wasn't that way at all a few weeks ago.

Both are heavy and dense hide that really are very similar but in their own way different. I wouldn't call either better than the other and so far the difference isn't enough for me to vote one over the other.

I'll try one day this week to get some pics up of the three X and Z plus HH to compare when there is some better light. I'll also take some time to get accurate measurements of weight and thickness.

Psant25

One Too Many
I ordered a custom stripped down model b in z150. Had it and sold it a number of jackets ago. It did seem lighter than the comp. i did break the jacket in. I was not too impressed with the leather. Kind of hard to explain why. I would choose comp weight.

roadking04

Practically Family
@SinSir , Thanks again for all your time. I am looking forward to your pics.

@Psant25 , Thanks for your input. I am actually looking for a lighter/easier to wear summer riding jacket. I have lost faith in Vanson comp. weight leather. It seems to have a heavy, rubbery, corrected top coat. The leather feels kinda spongy too me.

SinSir

A-List Customer
As promised here's a start...

Today I was out with the girlfriend and even though there was overcast it was some good light to catch the Z leather. I'm blown away by how it's changed over the past few weeks. When it arrived it was new, shiny, and a very hard hand. So much so the girlfriend was unsure it was for her even though she loved the jacket. She was worried about how stiff and honestly uncomfortable it was for her. She was afraid the shiny was over the top. I assured it would dull down and change showing her the X and reminding her how shiny and stiff it was.

I taught her how to break it in and kept calming her that what I was doing doing to the jacket was good for it. She was very nervous as I'm wading it up, pulling, and rolling it this way and that way. When it was pouring outside we grabbed her jacket and went for a walk. I even hit it with the steamer. She did some yoga and all. I told her to rinse and repeat as often as she could. It went against everything she thought she knew about leather, but had seen me do it to my jackets and could see the before, progress, and after.

Her and I both think it looks killer! It's still a little stiff but not too bad. She absolutely loves the jacket! Her friends love it too! Z150

Screenshot_20200106-211912_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200106-211849_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200106-211828_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200106-211837_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200106-211832_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

roadking04

Practically Family
I agree with you SinSir. That jacket is looking killer. The grain is starting to pop. Just my opinion from pictures, that leather looks so much better than that corrected crap they are calling competition weight these days. Thanks to you and your girl for the pics.

SinSir

A-List Customer
I agree with you SinSir. That jacket is looking killer. The grain is starting to pop. Just my opinion from pictures, that leather looks so much better than that corrected crap they are calling competition weight these days. Thanks to you and your girl for the pics.
You're welcome. We're happy to help! The pictures are a good representation of real life. Honestly, it looks even better. It changes tone in different light. Its cool! I've caught myself double taking on it countless times. It's pretty neat to to hear my girlfriend comment about it too. It really does feel good to hear. I know it's getting more comfortable because she wears it more and more when I see her. She now has 3 good leather jackets to choose and that one keeps creeping up in the rotation.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
When did you first notice this corrected crap competition weight leather ? What year do you believe Vanson started using it ?

dannyk

One Too Many
When did you first notice this corrected crap competition weight leather ? What year do you believe Vanson started using it ?
So about 2-3 years ago now the tannery that was making leathers for Vanson burned down. They only this last year found a new permanent tannery for their needs and it closed during the first lockdowns. As in forever. Haven’t spoken to them since they may have found a new tannery but last I heard were still looking. Different batches will look different and that applies to all tanneries. Not all CXL looks exactly the same every time. And vanson may have changed tanneries a few times from the 80s-90s-2000s. I can only speak for the last 3-4 years. They have just had some really bad luck recently. Hopefully they get everything sorted and can get back to having a go to tannery for their needs. Just sucks cause Vanson makes some of the most reliably consistent jackets and they’ve had stuff outside their control affect their abilities.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points