Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VAT Charges for returning a jacket?

majormajor

One Too Many
I don't think you should get hit by the handling fee.... at least, on anything I've had shipped in from outside the UK, when I've not been stung for tax (under the minimum threshold), they've not gouged me for the handling fee.

As I said, it's all or nothing.

Over the threshold - Parcelforce will come at you for Duty, VAT, and of course, their handling fee. And you often have to collect from the Parcelforce depot.

Under the threshold - Parcelforce are not involved. Your regular postman will simply deliver it. NO charges:D;)

wdw

One Too Many
What a shame and hassle when it's not your fault, particularly from overseas and all the extra problems that brings.

I was miffed enough driving my dodgy Stockman back to Aero, but I'd be well and truly hacked off if I had to send it back from half way around the world and pay for the privilege.

Edward

Bartender
As I said, it's all or nothing.

Over the threshold - Parcelforce will come at you for Duty, VAT, and of course, their handling fee. And you often have to collect from the Parcelforce depot.

Under the threshold - Parcelforce are not involved. Your regular postman will simply deliver it. NO charges:D;)

I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've had stuff come in Parcelforce without being hit by the charges too. But yeah, they are terrbile gougers. Used to be I rarely got hit on stuff coming from the US, but a lot of folks started buying from the US instead of Rip-Off Britain, which is when the Customs people got hardcore. These days they hit just about anything coming in from Stateside.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Of course. Goes without saying. But if the form does not give you the opportunity to say that (like the one above) you are stuffed;)

It does. Fill in country of origin space and tick the 'other' box and write next to that it's a return.
I've never had a problem when I used to sell stuff as a business on ebay.

The OP should not be out of pocket for return shipping if AL are originally at fault !

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Obviously, Parcelforce do other work, so yes, you can get deliveries from them that don't carry charges.

However, EVERY parcel deemed chargeable by HMRC is passed to Parcelforce for delivery (which usually means non-delivery. You have to get it from them), along with collection of the duty and the VAT.

FWIIW, I have received around 20 parcels from the US over the last month. None were deemed chargeable, so Parcelforce never got their money-grubbing hands on them:D;)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok so it looks like I well and truly have egg on my face.

I've spoken with Amanda and they are taking care of everything, I won't be out 1 cent/pent. I still don't think anyone should have to pay parcel force but they are taking care of it from their end and these extra charges won't be coming out of my refund. Ive opted to take one of the sale jackets instead, they are also sending out the replacement with no charge for postage.

Apologies to both Will & especially Amanda for misrepresenting their intentions. Having dealt with them at Aero I should have known better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner