Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velour Hat by Biltmore

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
This item was auctioned recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260426396768

Here is its description:

You are bidding on a Vintage Gray Velour Hat I believe from the 1930's, could be 1940's. It is the slant brim style favored by the likes of Al Capone and John Barrymore. It is made of Velour by the Biltmore Hat Co. and was imported from Canada. It was sold by the Sondell Hat Co. in Pittsburgh. I believe the lining is satin. The coat of arms on the lining is somewhat faded as you can see in the photo, but it reads, " Biltmore, Founded in 1890, Canada Registered, VELOUR, Made Exclusively for Fine Trade, Canada's Master Hatters". The brim is 3 inches wide, and the crown is 5 inches high. It is size 7 1/8 marked on the tag under the leather sweatband. It is in very good condition with just a few minor scratches on the underside of the brim---small enough not to be noticed in the photo---the sweatband is clean with no stains. It also has what I belive is a wind string around the crown that one can loosen and attach to the back of one's collar to keep the hat from blowing away. Kindly wait for me to send an invoice to the winner before making payment. This will insure precise shipping and handling cost. Thanks for your interest.

I was interested, never having seen the velour description before in any hat ad and being new to buying vintage hats and am interested in what someone might know about this particular material in relation to vintage hats. I did do a little checking and Sondell Hats in Pittsburgh was owned by Samuel Edelson who died suddenly in 1949. I believe the business closed at that time as I can find no further reference to it, so this hat was produced sometime before 1950.

Can anyone give me information on vintage velour hats?

Looks like a very high quality velour finish to me. Not sure of the felt content but probably a rabbit/hare mix. Could have some beaver. My guess is the felt was imported from Europe. Whoever won that one got a great hat in my humble opinion.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Well, I didn't "win" it, but whoever did failed to pay for it so the seller contacted me as the next highest bidder and I bought it for $60. There was something about the hat I found compelling, but I'm so new at this that I am always reluctant when the bidding gets over $50 because I'm still learning what is really worth the money and what isn't. I look forward to receiving this hat because it will be my first non-Western hat with such a wide brim.

I really appreciate your responses as I learn something everyday here.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Well, velour is a term that describes the finish applied to the hat body. Basically, they give the fur a velvet kind of feel or look to it.

I have one hat by Stefano with a velour finish. I like it enough, and I imagine the Biltmore will be far better.

BTW, Biltmore's modern Golden Pheasant felt has a velour finish. I only have a Biltmore with the Rosellini felt and a "classic smooth" finish (extremely nice), so I am not sure what their GP felt is like these days. It would be cool to have that vintage one and a new one. Like a set, almost. lol

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking hat. I had a old Biltmore cowboy hat that was really nice quality. A friend of mine liked it better and bought it off of me. Still see it form time to time and still going strong. Enjoy it.
Johnny

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
For those interested, I got this hat in yesterday's mail. It really is a great hat, but dirtier than I expected from the pictures online. After I do a bit of cleanup, I'll do some photos. I've never seen the velour finish before so it will take some getting used to, but this could end up being one of my favorite hats. It will be more for casual wear, though than for business as my wife describes the color as taupe rather than gray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points