Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventilated Sweatbands?

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
What happened to these older type sweatband with the mesh-looking stitch? Apparently it was for ventilation? I have a couple of boaters with these sweats; I find them superior to the modern sweats....

Can be seen Fig. 2 on the patent sheet for the Bon Ton Ivy sweats.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/88/70/7c/2ae7a8efc79bdb/US760087-drawings-page-1.png

Image: (Apologies for the crude drawing... :confused:)

ycT2Db1.jpg

This would have to be attached to the sweatband. Also you would need a machine to stitch it to the hat. They are also used for self conforming due to the Stiff nature of Boaters. I would check to see if any recent Boater manufactures are still using such sweatbands and check into how they are accomplishing it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
What happened to these older type sweatband with the mesh-looking stitch? Apparently it was for ventilation? I have a couple of boaters with these sweats; I find them superior to the modern sweats....

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/88/70/7c/2ae7a8efc79bdb/US760087-drawings-page-1.png

ycT2Db1.jpg
I’m not sure anybody has the machine and knowledge to do the stitch needed to attach the cording to the felt. If they did they could re-sew unreeded sweatbands to felt and be very busy. I may be wrong though.
Bowen

Sometimes the specialized equipment cost just doesn’t make any sense. Some of the old sewing machines are very rare and very expensive. If you spent $10,000 (a number I pulled from the air) on a sewing machine how many hats would you need to make for the cost to amortize at an acceptable rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ycT2Db1.jpg

I believe there were a few soft hats posted in recent years with this method of sweatband attachment. The hats I have owned were stiff hats (boaters and derbies) for which the Bon Ton Ivy sweatband forms a sort of trampoline suspension, perhaps providing some comfort for varying head shapes within a rigid opening. I don't know if cooling was also claimed. I've never noticed a real difference in comfort from ventilation holes or corrugations, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points